• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Missouri Open Carry - City Chart-

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

they will just tell you not to do it, YOU have to check city code for each city, I have done a few hundred, im working on a better list I hope to have out soon,

dont expect anything from any Gov officials to help

DarenGlock23

imported post

Maby we should do something about that and have them make one... If they don't want me to OC then make me aware, I will do my best to obide by the law but invisible lines are hard to see without a badge.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I was reading on the open carry city chart that Overland was listed as "open carry legal". I went through their online ordinances and found this line to make me wonder if they would use the law inARTICLE VI, SECTION 220.225, item (4)

"Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use" Here isa link to the codes:http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/overland-slp/

Thanks for any input....Doc

HYRYSC

imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
I was reading on the open carry city chart that Overland was listed as "open carry legal". I went through their online ordinances and found this line to make me wonder if they would use the law inARTICLE VI, SECTION 220.225, item (4)

"Carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use" Here isa link to the codes:http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/overland-slp/

Thanks for any input....Doc

This is one of the reasons that a concealed carry permit helps you OC (if that makes any sense) in some instances. However the way that the exclusions are written for Overland, CC is only allowed if you have a CC permit, it does not allow you to OC as is the case in some jurisdictions.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

So I was trying to work on finding the OC laws for my local cities here in North county St Louis. Breckenridge Hills hasit's ordnancespageonline but the site is down so I called city hall to see if I could come down and get access to the ordnances there. They said "no, they are beingrecoded" I then was transfered to the PD andDetective Sargent. I asked him if they was any ordnances there in Breckenridge Hills regarding OC and his response was a friendly but nervous "woooooweeee I have never been asked that in my entire 15yr career. I will have to review the ordnances and call you back"

And he did. In about 15 min. He politely quoited their section 215.160 ordnance the prohibits the carrying of a firearm. I asked him what were the sub clauses that involve the legal recognition of CC. He said there wasn't any butthat they would be following thestate law regarding CC.He did not know when therecoded ordnances would be available.

So for me I believe what the LEO was saying and that OC is illegalin Breckenridge MO. Though I will read it for myself once the recoded ordinances come out.

Doc

btjohnson

imported post

ComSec wrote:
they will just tell you not to do it, YOU have to check city code for each city, I have done a few hundred, im working on a better list I hope to have out soon,

ComSec, I'm new to this whole thing and live just to the West of you at 3 Trails. I have just recieved my CC and was cruising around and found this OC. I'm very confused. If I can open carry why the CC? And do I understand OC to mean open carrry, sidearem exposed? I guess I'm just nervous about doing this without really understanding the law and limitations. I've never seen someone doing this and would have thought it illegal.

Anyway thanks for all the work. I would like to here from anyone about this who can help me understand what open carry means and why a person would want to CC.

Stay safe!

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

btjohnson wrote:
ComSec wrote:

ComSec, I'm new to this whole thing and live just to the West of you at 3 Trails. I have just recieved my CC and was cruising around and found this OC. I'm very confused. If I can open carry why the CC? And do I understand OC to mean open carrry, sidearem exposed? I guess I'm just nervous about doing this without really understanding the law and limitations. I've never seen someone doing this and would have thought it illegal.

Anyway thanks for all the work. I would like to here from anyone about this who can help me understand what open carry means and why a person would want to CC.

Stay safe!
Great questions. Instead of getting off topic in this thread those would be great questions to start off a new thread. I'm sure that many of us will happily give you as much insight and information as we are able.

cash50

imported post

I just read the code on Creve Coeur, that is retarded that you have to have a CCW to OC...

mspgunner

imported post

OC - Legal yes technically, but the LEO will more than likely make life tough. Just CCW and avoid trouble and a brief jail stay, as well as lawyer fees!

ComSec

Campaign Veteran
imported post

then that LEO deserves to be taken out and beat senseless, legal is legal its not the job of a LEO to decide, if your scared to legally OC because you may get arrested then theres a problem wouldnt you say

mspgunner

imported post

Some LEOs are just not friendly, some are. I have two ideas:

1) Remove the ability of locals or counties to prohibit OC

2) Have an OC rally in a favorable City or Town. - I've posted this idea on a couple of discussion sites, so far no one has jumped on it. I did a 2nd amendment rally at the Gateway Arch in STL last month. Some one who knows where an OC rally can take place needs to step up to the plate. It would generate some good media to bring the whole idea out into the public eye. I hear people talk aabout OCing on discussion site, OK WTF cares.... It is a captive group.

If some one out there really cares, go public and do some thing about it. There is a bill before the legislature right now! If this is your cause do some thing to promote it!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Wow - do you ever need add OC to your state preemption with no grandfather clause.

Totally untenable - one false step in the wrong direction would make a criminal of an otherwise honest citizen.

Yata hey

patriotthad

imported post

Had an OC meeting in West Plains in December. Had approximately 40 people attend.

Ready to do it again!

Superlite27

imported post

ComSec:

You have Wentzville listed in your online Missouri City chart as a NO-GO.

I looked up the code here:

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/wentzville-slp/

Check out ARTICLE VI (offenses concerning weapons and firearms)

Section 210.250 WEAPONS---CARRYING CONCEALED-----OTHER UNLAWFUL USE

subsection A

subparagraph6

"6) Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use."

Then look at the exemptions:

subsection D

"Subparagraphs (1),(6) and (7) of subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid conceal carry endorsement....(etc.)"

Since St. Charles county has no language banning OC, and Wentzville is in St. Charles County......

This appears to validate the legality of Open Carry in Wentzville...with a CCW. But seems to make it illegal without one.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
ComSec:

You have Wentzville listed in your online Missouri City chart as a NO-GO.

I looked up the code here:

http://codes.sullivanpublications.com/wentzville-slp/

Check out ARTICLE VI (offenses concerning weapons and firearms)

Section 210.250 WEAPONS---CARRYING CONCEALED-----OTHER UNLAWFUL USE

subsection A

subparagraph6

"6) Openly carries a firearm or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use."

Then look at the exemptions:

subsection D

"Subparagraphs (1),(6) and (7) of subsection (A) of this Section shall not apply to any person who has a valid conceal carry endorsement....(etc.)"

Since St. Charles county has no language banning OC, and Wentzville is in St. Charles County......

This appears to validate the legality of Open Carry in Wentzville...with a CCW. But seems to make it illegal without one.
Good find - wonder what the attitude of local constabulary is.

Yata hey