• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC 7.14.09

langzaiguy

imported post

It's killed me to miss the litter pickup and another OC get-together. Did I miss the picnic too? I've been on a road trip to Canada, and I gotta say--it's great to be back in the states and have my freedom back!

Anyways, I open carried again at the Southland Jamboree. Great bluegrass music, but I don't think I'll carry there again. They've started selling beer our near the stage rather than inside the bowling alley. Whether it is legal to carry on the grounds where alcohol is served, I tend to think not.

While I was there, I got a few looks but no comments. Afterwards, we walked to the Good Foods Co-op. I thought for sure some liberal hippie would say something. It wasn't all that crowded, but I got no looks and one comment. One of the cashiers asked me if I was carrying an SR9. I replied that I was and we talked about carrying a bit.

We also went to Kroger in Georgetown and I got a couple looks and that was it.

I expected all the Co-op employees to be liberal "free-thinkers" but I ended up meeting a gun enthusiast. Pretty cool.

8th ID

imported post

GOOD FOODS CO-OP? AND no one freaked out? A cashier knew what you were carrying? Holy Crap:what:My wife is in there quite a bit-sometimes we've gone to eat there and it seems like a place where an OCer would be beaten...well maybe massaged real bad and fed some wheatgrass...

hotrod

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
It's killed me to miss the litter pickup and another OC get-together. Did I miss the picnic too? I've been on a road trip to Canada, and I gotta say--it's great to be back in the states and have my freedom back!

Anyways, I open carried again at the Southland Jamboree. Great bluegrass music, but I don't think I'll carry there again. They've started selling beer our near the stage rather than inside the bowling alley. Whether it is legal to carry on the grounds where alcohol is served, I tend to think not.

While I was there, I got a few looks but no comments. Afterwards, we walked to the Good Foods Co-op. I thought for sure some liberal hippie would say something. It wasn't all that crowded, but I got no looks and one comment. One of the cashiers asked me if I was carrying an SR9. I replied that I was and we talked about carrying a bit.

We also went to Kroger in Georgetown and I got a couple looks and that was it.

I expected all the Co-op employees to be liberal "free-thinkers" but I ended up meeting a gun enthusiast. Pretty cool.
Absolutely legal to carry, even if alcohol or beer is sold. There is no provision in the KRS to regulate carry and alcohol sold in outdoor settings, only restaurant carry.

langzaiguy

imported post

8th: I know! I was very surprised that no on batted an eye and then I was shocked to have a positive inquiry considering the political atmosphere of the place!

Hotrod: KSP says: "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

It's the "any portion" that has be thinking I can't carry there.

hotrod

imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
8th: I know! I was very surprised that no on batted an eye and then I was shocked to have a positive inquiry considering the political atmosphere of the place!

Hotrod: KSP says: "Any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense beer or alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to that purpose."

It's the "any portion" that has be thinking I can't carry there.
You are correct in your quotation, but, in 244.125 (1) it says "...within the room...". Also, 244.125 (3) qualifies with "...50% in food sales..." to eliminate the room provision in paragraph 1 in my humble opinion. You were safe outside. Doesn't qualify as a room. There was a very large and good discussion thread on the subject earlier. Read, study and live by your decision.

langzaiguy

imported post

Thank you for quoting 244.125! I agree with your take. I guess it pays to play devil's advocate once in a while. Carry on!