Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry on VRE

Post imported post

Hi, another question from a Virginia newbie. Is there any problem carrying on the VRE (Virginia Railway Express) train, either open or concealed? I couldn't find anything in the law or on their web site, but I am new here. I am exploring the VRE as a possible occasional option for commuting to work. Thanks.

Post imported post

http://www.prtctransit.org/about-us/index.php

This is the organization that operates VRE. It says there that it is a multi-county public agency, so my belief is that it would be covered by preemption:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
    Of course, don't go into DC

Post imported post

Another user on here, Ed, has said that he has carried on the metro in Northern VA with no hiccups:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ighlight=metro

Post imported post

curtiswr wrote:
    Another user on here, Ed, has said that he has carried on the metro in Northern VA with no hiccups:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...ighlight=metro
    Metro (run by WMATA) and VRE are two completely separate systems run by different agencies.

Here is what I found on the VRE website:

http://www.vre.org/about/vre-tariff.pdf
    REFUSAL OF PASSAGE – Train Service Personnel may refuse a
    person passage on a VRE train if 1) he or she is in possession of
    explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any
    other dangerous item or material

I don't know how preemption plays into this.

Post imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
    Metro (run by WMATA) and VRE are two completely separate systems run by different agencies.
    Did not know that! Guess that's what I get for assuming.

Post imported post

About Us
    The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is a transportation partnership of:---

The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) was established to manage and control the functions, affairs, and property of the Northern Virginia Transportation District--which was created by the 1964 Acts of Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia, chapter 630; and the Transportation District Act. The purpose of the Act is to develop transportation systems encouraging orderly growth and development of urban areas of the Commonwealth for the safety, comfort, and convenience of its citizens and for the economical utilization of public funds.

The Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission (PRTC) is a multi-jurisdictional agency representing Prince William and Stafford Counties and the cities of Manassas, Manassas Park and Fredericksburg.

--------------

Would they be an agent of a locality for preemption purposes?

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
    Here is what I found on the VRE website:

http://www.vre.org/about/vre-tariff.pdf
    REFUSAL OF PASSAGE – Train Service Personnel may refuse a
    person passage on a VRE train if 1) he or she is in possession of
    explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any
    other dangerous item or material

I don't know how preemption plays into this.
    So don't take your cigarettes and lighter onto the train. Even if you aren't using them, you violate this asinine rule.
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

I would definitely carry on VRE, if I weren't commuting all the way into DC.

Post imported post

Email sent to gotrains@vre.org

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

People still ride trains?

(I'm kidding! Really, I'm kidding!)

Post imported post

Received Response. We'll see how it goes:
    Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for writing.

Certainly, we understand your concerns. It may interest you to know that our Manager of Transportation Services, Safety, and Security is aware of this issue and currently reviewing our tariff and we will make necessary adjustments to ensure it is not in violation of Virginia Code.

Safety and security of our passengers and the railroad is the top priority of VRE which is the reasoning behind our policy not allowing explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any other dangerous item or material on our trains. We hope to reconcile a position where we can still protect safety as well as be in compliance with the law.

Thank you for your interest in VRE.

Regards,

Jeremy Flores
    Operations Service Manager
    Virginia Railway Express
    1500 King Street, Suite 202
    Alexandria, VA 22314-2730
    Main (703) 684-1001
    Fax (703) 684-1313
    gotrains@vre.org
    http://www.vre.org/

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

ufcfanvt wrote:
    Alexandria, VA
    No wonder they say no guns.. they are from A l e x a n d r i a
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

I received an update from VRE:

We will keep you posted of any updates regarding this issue. We are aiming for a September revision.
    Regards,

Jeremy Flores
    Virginia Railway Express
    We'll see what they say in September.

Post imported post

My e-mail to Mr. Flores

Mr. Flores,

It has come to my attention that the tarriff of the VRE in not in compliance with Virginia law in that it forbids the carriage of firearms.

I have read your prior e-mails which try to explain the reasoning behind the no firearms policy. The logic behind your policy is clearly flawed. Criminals will not obey your policy.

Please take notice that I intend to openly carry my handgun on VRE trains during the week of 10-15 August 2009. I intend to do this only on Virginia segments of the Franconia line traveling between Woodbridge and Crystal City.

Sincerely,

He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

Get some Thundar!

Post imported post

Reply from Mr. Flores:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for writing.

We understand and appreciate your perspective. As stated in emails to other passengers, we are making revisions to our tariff to be in compliance with Virginia Code and to clarify the circumstances that would permit us to refuse passage.

That said,you may board our trains armedif you have all the necessary permits to legally carry firearms in Virginia. Please be aware that the laws are different in D.C., where it may not be legal to carry a firearm.

Thank you for riding VRE.

Regards,
    Jeremy Flores
    Virginia Railway Express
    Main (703) 684-1001
    Fax (703) 684-1313
    gotrains@vre.org
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitableand let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come . PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Post imported post

My latest reply:

Dear Mr. Flores,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, a permitis not required to carry firearms in Virginia, except for carriage of loaded assault firearms in certain cities and countiesand for concealed carry of handguns. As I intend to open carry my handgun and my rifle has a 10 round magazine capacity, there are no permits that apply in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As previously stated I only intend to open carry my firearms on the Virginia section of the VRE.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    My latest reply:

Dear Mr. Flores,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, a permitis not required to carry firearms in Virginia, except for carriage of loaded assault firearms in certain cities and countiesand for concealed carry of handguns. As I intend to open carry my handgun and my rifle has a 10 round magazine capacity, there are no permits that apply in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As previously stated I only intend to open carry my firearms on the Virginia section of the VRE.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
    You're planning to OC a long gun on the train?

Post imported post

Hey, nothing wrong with going for the gusto.

Keep us updated Thundar.

Post imported post

Go thundar!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Post imported post

Thundar wrote:
    Reply from Mr. Flores:

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,

Thank you for writing.

We understand and appreciate your perspective. As stated in emails to other passengers, we are making revisions to our tariff to be in compliance with Virginia Code and to clarify the circumstances that would permit us to refuse passage.

That said,you may board our trains armedif you have all the necessary permits to legally carry firearms in Virginia. Please be aware that the laws are different in D.C., where it may not be legal to carry a firearm.

Thank you for riding VRE.

Regards,
    Jeremy Flores
    Virginia Railway Express
    Main (703) 684-1001
    Fax (703) 684-1313
    gotrains@vre.org
    You can feel this guy's indigestion over this issue just from reading his reply. It's almost enough to make you feel sorry for him. Well, not really...

It does make you chuckle... all the necessary permits. Yep, got them all right here... they're printed on invisible paper, with invisible ink...

TFred

Post imported post

TFred wrote:
    It does make you chuckle... all the necessary permits. Yep, got them all right here... they're printed on invisible paper, with invisible ink...
    And here I was thinking that my original permit is stored under lock and key (or maybe bulletproof glass, if it's on display) in the National Archives.

~ Boyd

Post imported post

I've ridden VRE twice a day for about 7 years.

If you're carrying openly, you might want to give some thought about how easy it is to fall asleep on a rockin' train. I do it all the time, and judging from the cell phone alarms programmed to wake them up just before hitting a station, it seems like a lot of others do too.

Post imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
    If you're carrying openly, you might want to give some thought about how easy it is to fall asleep on a rockin' train. I do it all the time, and judging from the cell phone alarms programmed to wake them up just before hitting a station, it seems like a lot of others do too.
    This is more than "condition white!" Call it "condition whiteout?"

If you are comfortable sleeping in an unknown potentially risky situation I have to think you might be more comfortable if you did not carry at all.

I don't see any distinction between OC and CC here, because you wouldn't become aware if your CC'd piece were inadvertently exposed or printed during your nap. Seems to me that this would be even more of an invitation to a BG to help himself to the item than if it were OC'd, especially in a retention holster.

But really, falling asleep in a public place while carrying? Your choice, obviously, but you might want to assess how well this fits with your overall SD plan.

Post imported post

I don't think Nelson was talking about intentionally falling asleep on the train, just that it might happen despite you wanting to stay awake. I think he's talking about exactly what you mention, architect.

And an additional danger he's referring to from falling asleep is missing the last stop before you enter the District of Columbia. Not good.

~ Boyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast