• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry on VRE

gis

imported post

Hi, another question from a Virginia newbie. Is there any problem carrying on the VRE (Virginia Railway Express) train, either open or concealed? I couldn't find anything in the law or on their web site, but I am new here. I am exploring the VRE as a possible occasional option for commuting to work. Thanks.

GWRedDragon

imported post

http://www.prtctransit.org/about-us/index.php

This is the organization that operates VRE. It says there that it is a multi-county public agency, so my belief is that it would be covered by preemption:

§ 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies.

A. No locality shall adopt or enforce any ordinance, resolution or motion, as permitted by § 15.2-1425, and no agent of such locality shall take any administrative action, governing the purchase, possession, transfer, ownership, carrying, storage or transporting of firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof other than those expressly authorized by statute. For purposes of this section, a statute that does not refer to firearms, ammunition, or components or combination thereof, shall not be construed to provide express authorization.

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
Of course, don't go into DC :uhoh:

fairfax1

imported post

curtiswr wrote:
Another user on here, Ed, has said that he has carried on the metro in Northern VA with no hiccups:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25726&forum_id=54&highlight=metro
Metro (run by WMATA) and VRE are two completely separate systems run by different agencies.

Here is what I found on the VRE website:

http://www.vre.org/about/vre-tariff.pdf
REFUSAL OF PASSAGE – Train Service Personnel may refuse a
person passage on a VRE train if 1) he or she is in possession of
explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any
other dangerous item or material

I don't know how preemption plays into this.

fairfax1

imported post

About Us
The Virginia Railway Express (VRE) is a transportation partnership of:---

The Northern Virginia Transportation Commission (NVTC) was established to manage and control the functions, affairs, and property of the Northern Virginia Transportation District--which was created by the 1964 Acts of Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia, chapter 630; and the Transportation District Act. The purpose of the Act is to develop transportation systems encouraging orderly growth and development of urban areas of the Commonwealth for the safety, comfort, and convenience of its citizens and for the economical utilization of public funds.

The Potomac and Rappahannock Transportation Commission (PRTC) is a multi-jurisdictional agency representing Prince William and Stafford Counties and the cities of Manassas, Manassas Park and Fredericksburg.

--------------

Would they be an agent of a locality for preemption purposes?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
Here is what I found on the VRE website:

http://www.vre.org/about/vre-tariff.pdf
REFUSAL OF PASSAGE – Train Service Personnel may refuse a
person passage on a VRE train if 1) he or she is in possession of
explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any
other dangerous item or material

I don't know how preemption plays into this.
So don't take your cigarettes and lighter onto the train. Even if you aren't using them, you violate this asinine rule.

ufcfanvt

imported post

Received Response. We'll see how it goes:
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for writing.

Certainly, we understand your concerns. It may interest you to know that our Manager of Transportation Services, Safety, and Security is aware of this issue and currently reviewing our tariff and we will make necessary adjustments to ensure it is not in violation of Virginia Code.

Safety and security of our passengers and the railroad is the top priority of VRE which is the reasoning behind our policy not allowing explosives, firearms, dangerous weapons, flammable material or any other dangerous item or material on our trains. We hope to reconcile a position where we can still protect safety as well as be in compliance with the law.

Thank you for your interest in VRE.

Regards,

Jeremy Flores
Operations Service Manager
Virginia Railway Express
1500 King Street, Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314-2730
Main (703) 684-1001
Fax (703) 684-1313
gotrains@vre.org
http://www.vre.org/

ufcfanvt

imported post

I received an update from VRE:

We will keep you posted of any updates regarding this issue. We are aiming for a September revision.
Regards,

Jeremy Flores
Virginia Railway Express

We'll see what they say in September.

Thundar

imported post

My e-mail to Mr. Flores

Mr. Flores,

It has come to my attention that the tarriff of the VRE in not in compliance with Virginia law in that it forbids the carriage of firearms.

I have read your prior e-mails which try to explain the reasoning behind the no firearms policy. The logic behind your policy is clearly flawed. Criminals will not obey your policy.

Please take notice that I intend to openly carry my handgun on VRE trains during the week of 10-15 August 2009. I intend to do this only on Virginia segments of the Franconia line traveling between Woodbridge and Crystal City.

Sincerely,

Thundar

imported post

Reply from Mr. Flores:

[align=left]Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx,[/align]
[align=left]Thank you for writing.[/align]

[align=left]We understand and appreciate your perspective. As stated in emails to other passengers, we are making revisions to our tariff to be in compliance with Virginia Code and to clarify the circumstances that would permit us to refuse passage.[/align]

[align=left]That said,you may board our trains armedif you have all the necessary permits to legally carry firearms in Virginia. Please be aware that the laws are different in D.C., where it may not be legal to carry a firearm.[/align]

[align=left]Thank you for riding VRE.[/align]
[align=left]
Regards, [/align]Jeremy Flores
Virginia Railway Express
1500 King Street, Suite 202
Alexandria, VA 22314-2730
Main (703) 684-1001
Fax (703) 684-1313
gotrains@vre.org
[url]http://www.vre.org/[/url]

Thundar

imported post

My latest reply:

Dear Mr. Flores,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, a permitis not required to carry firearms in Virginia, except for carriage of loaded assault firearms in certain cities and countiesand for concealed carry of handguns. As I intend to open carry my handgun and my rifle has a 10 round magazine capacity, there are no permits that apply in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As previously stated I only intend to open carry my firearms on the Virginia section of the VRE.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX

RedKnightt

imported post

Thundar wrote:
My latest reply:

Dear Mr. Flores,

Thank you for your response.

Just to be clear, a permitis not required to carry firearms in Virginia, except for carriage of loaded assault firearms in certain cities and countiesand for concealed carry of handguns. As I intend to open carry my handgun and my rifle has a 10 round magazine capacity, there are no permits that apply in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

As previously stated I only intend to open carry my firearms on the Virginia section of the VRE.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXX
You're planning to OC a long gun on the train?