• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hand gun and long gun Open Carry Walkabout Pittsburg - 24-25 September

Thundar

imported post

Hey Pittsburgers,

This is a chance to shine. Open carry near the end of September in masse. No rally, just random open carry for two days.

For those not from Pittsburg, This open carry event will allow us to showthe worldthat open carry is an acceptable part of our culture. Somethingworld leaders should see.

Why 24-25 September in Pittsburg? I figure we owe the state police one for Mountain Jack!

Link: http://www.pittsburghsummit.gov/

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania will host the G-20 Summit September 24-25, 2009. President Obama will chair this meeting of leaders from countries around the world that represent 85 percent of the world’s economy. At the Pittsburgh G-20 Summit, leaders will review the progress made since the Washington and London Summits and discuss further actions to assure a sound and sustainable recovery from the global financial and economic crisis.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Wow, what will happen to all those looters and rioters that destroy the
neighborhood at these meetings?
Bet the press gives BHO credit for the peaceful summit unlike that evil one he
replaced burning down Seattle.

How is the Mtn Jack case going, is it this week?

If gas hasn't gone through the roof by then I'll drive up. Would feel good to
dump all that carbon out my tail pipe. But going to hate that new 80mph
law in Va. Going to need the cruise control for that stretch very badly now.

Thundar

imported post

Whyshould we havean open carry walkabout in Pittsburgh?

1) Because we are free and can

2) To emphasize the legality of what Mtn Jack did to:

A) the Pennsylvania State Police,

B) the Governor,

C)the President and

D) the G-20 leaders

3) Because that black robed &%$#@ called us stupid idiots.

From PAFOAthread about Mountain Jack:

Originally Posted by Paradigm
hiflyrf22 (11:41:36 AM): They're all out now
hiflyrf22 (11:41:41 AM): mrs mtn jack is crying
hiflyrf22 (11:41:56 AM): judge called us all stupid idiots
hiflyrf22 (11:42:53 AM): stupid idiots for OCing
hiflyrf22 (11:42:55 AM): i assume
hiflyrf22 (11:42:59 AM): no confirmation

Link: http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-144/31196-mtn-jack-arrested-oc-near-obama-rally-site-page-218.html

Thundar

imported post

The purpose of the walkabout is to show world leaders and the international press that we are citizens of a free country. If you are asked why you are open carrying you can tell them it is your right and that your rights are not taken away because others are in town.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

I guess I don't see any easy to understand message from this expressive conduct - did the G20 group propose an open carry ban? Not that I know of.

And as for open carry of long guns in urban areas, this has been discussed here before - highly inappropriate behavior in a 3 dimensional urban environment considering the muzzle control problem and absence of holsters with trigger guards - that's why Justice Scalianoted some of the advantages of handguns in the Heller case, e.g., handguns "can be pointed at a burglar with one hand while the other hand dials the police." The corollary is that they can be secured in holsters while not in use while you go about your normal business.

I think there are 2 good bright line rules to consider when thinking about open carrying as a form of expressive conduct: First, will the message be understandable and tailored to achieve a goal? And second, are the circumstances so unique that the police will under almost any circumstance have qualified immunity if they cart you off and possibly subject you to a trial that might bankrupt you?

I think that if the answer to either question are pretty much in the yes column, then open carrying as expressive conduct in those circumstances is both illogical for you and counter-productive for the cause.

In the main, the open carry movement is about open carrying while minding your own beeswax in your daily life. Targeted expressive conduct sometimes has value, but can have high risk and be counter-productive too.

Thundar

imported post

Mike wrote:
I guess I don't see any easy to understand message from this expressive conduct - did the G20 group propose an open carry ban? Not that I know of.

And as for open carry of long guns in urban areas, this has been discussed here before - highly inappropriate behavior in a 3 dimensional urban environment considering the muzzle control problem and absence of holsters with trigger guards - that's why Justice Scalianoted some of the advantages of handguns in the Heller case, e.g., handguns "can be pointed at a burglar with one hand while the other hand dials the police." The corollary is that they can be secured in holsters while not in use while you go about your normal business.

I think there are 2 good bright line rules to consider when thinking about open carrying as a form of expressive conduct: First, will the message be understandable and tailored to achieve a goal? And second, are the circumstances so unique that the police will under almost any circumstance have qualified immunity if they cart you off and possibly subject you to a trial that might bankrupt you?

I think that if the answer to either question are pretty much in the yes column, then open carrying as expressive conduct in those circumstances is both illogical for you and counter-productive for the cause.

In the main, the open carry movement is about open carrying while minding your own beeswax in your daily life. Targeted expressive conduct sometimes has value, but can have high risk and be counter-productive too.
The Message

Simple enough.

1) YES WE CAN.[/b] We are free people in a free country. Open carry is a right that is not infringed simply because of a visit from a candidate for a government job or a summit or any other whim of a government official. That was Mtn Jack's message. It bears repeating. Pennsylvania State Police, are you listening?

2) SHAME ON YOU G20 Leaders.[/b] G20 leaders, while not openly condemning open carry in Pennsylvania, have put in place and enforced tyrannical laws that violate the natural rights of mankind. Remember the 2nd Amendment does not grant us the right to keep and bear arms, it merely confirms a pre-existing right of all mankind. On this I think we can agree and these leaders ought to be reminded that a free nation trusts its citizens.

Long Guns in an Urban Environment

1) You are entitled to your opinion, but frankly it sounds very hoplophobic to me. Muzzle control is a complete red herring. Slung rifles (especially if slung Israeli style with the barrel pointed down) do not have muzzle control issues.

2) Using scabbards, safeties and carrying with an open boltmake for safe carry. They are safer than the open carry of many handguns, with defective or no safety devices such as the CZ 52 or Jennings .25.

3) Is that a handgun without a trigger guard that I seeon the home page of OCDO?

Courts and Beeswax

1) All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

2) This event is taking place in the same part of Pennsylvania as the persecution of Jack Noble. What happened there was an incredible slap in the face to liberty, freedom and justice. It is a fitting place and time for a walkabout.

3) The walkabout is all about beeswax. OCers walking about will be outside of the restricted area minding their own beeswax. If law enforcement minds their bees wax it will be a non event. If law enforcement does not mind their beeswax, then there will be problems of course. Law enforcement violation of civil rights will be on U-Tube the same day.

4) If being “expressive” is a bad thing, then I guess that I have been bad many times. At Waterside, at the Norfolk, VA city council meetings and at many VCDL meetings. The message is the same every time, YES WE CAN[/b].

Live free or Die,

Sic Semper Tyrannus,

Thundar

TheNikeBusiness

imported post

Well said.

A demonstration of open carry in the vicinity of the G20 summit conference has no relevance to that gathering. A more prudent approach would be for legally armed citizens to go about their business with as little attention paid to the summit meeting as possible. OC advocates will not achieve further support by getting in the face of the general public about it. The point has been made previously on the legality of peaceable open carry.

Tempting as it may be (for some) to "demonstrate" open carry near the site of the G20 summit, common sense would seem to dictate model behavior from model citizens.

;)

Thundar

imported post

Great news. The Pittsburg Post-Gazette has picked up on the Pittsburg walkabout!!!

Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09199/984795-57.stm

Beaver man who brought gun to Obama rally acquitted

Saturday, July 18, 2009

By Jerome L. Sherman, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

…….

Some postings on the organization's Web site called for advocates to demonstrate solidarity with Mr. Noble by openly carrying guns in Downtown Pittsburgh during September's G-20 summit of world leaders.

(Thundar Clarification: Organization website = OCDO!)

agentw0

imported post

TheNikeBusiness wrote:
Well said.

A demonstration of open carry in the vicinity of the G20 summit conference has no relevance to that gathering. A more prudent approach would be for legally armed citizens to go about their business with as little attention paid to the summit meeting as possible. OC advocates will not achieve further support by getting in the face of the general public about it. The point has been made previously on the legality of peaceable open carry.

Tempting as it may be (for some) to "demonstrate" open carry near the site of the G20 summit, common sense would seem to dictate model behavior from model citizens.

;)
Well Said to you sir.

Thundar

imported post

For those activists thinking about a walkabout I recommend that you

1) Buy and become familiar with a voice recorder
2) Learn how to upload to you tube and other sites on the fly
3) Learn and become familiar with twitter for mutual updates
4) Become familiar with the downtown area either online or in person

edstephan

imported post

Thundar wrote:
Mike wrote:

The Message

Simple enough.

1) YES WE CAN.[/b] We are free people in a free country. Open carry is a right that is not infringed simply because of a visit from a candidate for a government job or a summit or any other whim of a government official. That was Mtn Jack's message. It bears repeating. Pennsylvania State Police, are you listening?

2) SHAME ON YOU G20 Leaders.[/b] G20 leaders, while not openly condemning open carry in Pennsylvania, have put in place and enforced tyrannical laws that violate the natural rights of mankind. Remember the 2nd Amendment does not grant us the right to keep and bear arms, it merely confirms a pre-existing right of all mankind. On this I think we can agree and these leaders ought to be reminded that a free nation trusts its citizens.

Long Guns in an Urban Environment

1) You are entitled to your opinion, but frankly it sounds very hoplophobic to me. Muzzle control is a complete red herring. Slung rifles (especially if slung Israeli style with the barrel pointed down) do not have muzzle control issues.

2) Using scabbards, safeties and carrying with an open boltmake for safe carry. They are safer than the open carry of many handguns, with defective or no safety devices such as the CZ 52 or Jennings .25.

3) Is that a handgun without a trigger guard that I seeon the home page of OCDO?

Courts and Beeswax

1) All it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

2) This event is taking place in the same part of Pennsylvania as the persecution of Jack Noble. What happened there was an incredible slap in the face to liberty, freedom and justice. It is a fitting place and time for a walkabout.

3) The walkabout is all about beeswax. OCers walking about will be outside of the restricted area minding their own beeswax. If law enforcement minds their bees wax it will be a non event. If law enforcement does not mind their beeswax, then there will be problems of course. Law enforcement violation of civil rights will be on U-Tube the same day.

4) If being “expressive” is a bad thing, then I guess that I have been bad many times. At Waterside, at the Norfolk, VA city council meetings and at many VCDL meetings. The message is the same every time, YES WE CAN[/b].

Live free or Die,

Sic Semper Tyrannus,

Thundar

You forgotone very important point. To show the "leaders" that there is a point We the Peoplewon't take their crap any more and have the power to enforce.

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%

Ed Stephan

Thundar

imported post

Link: http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/finepoint/archive/2009/09/01/editorial-guns-everywhere-firearms-in-civilian-hands-have-no-place-at-g-20.aspx

Wednesday September 2, 2009

EDITORIAL - Guns everywhere: Firearms in civilian hands have no place at G-20

When Pittsburgh hosts world leaders coming to the G-20 summit on Sept. 24 and 25, its greatest duty also will be the most basic -- security. It will be an awesome responsibility.

The Constitution must be respected in the process. It contains such rights of the people as to peaceably assemble and to keep and bear arms. But nothing in that great document suggests that one right is supreme over others. In the famous example, the First Amendment guarantees free speech but that does not permit someone to incite chaos by shouting fire needlessly in a crowded theater.

The question of competing rights now arises as G-20 legislation moves through Pittsburgh City Council. It would allow police to cite people for wearing a mask or carrying a variety of items such as rotten eggs if police perceive an intent to defy the law. The proposal also lists 37 types of guns that could be actionable. That part of the bill has upset gun-rights supporters.

We would be the first to concede that the gun provisions are legally dubious, given that in this case -- regrettably -- state law would seem to preempt anything Pittsburgh might enact. Empowering the police to be mind readers of intent is also troublesome. City Council should tread warily when these proposals are discussed in chambers tomorrow and a sunset provision would be reasonable.

But please spare us those who would make an unreasonable, absolutist defense of the Second Amendment and argue that people have a right to carry weapons anywhere near a meeting like the G-20. This summer, fanatical gun owners have insisted on their right to carry firearms to volatile town meetings or in the vicinity of the president. That is complete lunacy. It is the equivalent of shouting fire in a theater or playing with matches in a fireworks factory.

If any Joe can carry firearms near the G-20 summit, it would vastly complicate the job of law enforcement. If rotten eggs are banned but deadly firearms aren't, what a sad commentary on gun-obsessed America that will make.

[line]
Posted Sep 01 2009, 05:00 AM by Susan Mannella