• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When would you draw? Incident that happened today at about 530PM.

Quilbilly

imported post

While I was driving through East Bremerton I noticed there was a Man (30ish), near a gas station, yelling at another guy (20ish) about his Anti-Abortion sign. I was driving slow because of traffic and had plenty of time to pull into the gas station. My plan was to mind my own business, but to leave the window down and listen just in case I had to break up a fight. This guy would just not stop yelling about the sign, kept saying that it was way too graphic (had pics of dead babies). After about 5 mins the guy got back into his truck and left, and I went on my way as well.

When to draw in a situation where someone is waving a gun around and threatening to shoot is not a hard one to answer. But what about in a case like this? Iwas sitting in my car thinking about the tools at hand which were a .38 airweight (concealed VERY well,and a Kershaw. I thought about throwing my gun under the seat of my car because I figured if I had to break up a fight, I might get punched once but would ultimately break up the fight. I didn't for obvious reasons. I just thought that if I felt a life was in danger I would draw. Thankfully, nothing happened.

Whenwould you draw?When you feel a life is in danger, no doubt. But when should you feel that way? Whensomeone has a gun? When they have a knife? When they are beating someone and there is nothingmore can do about it? When they come after you?

I always assumed a SD situation would be straight forward, that there would be no question when to draw. When the adrenaline is pumping I could see where it would be easy to make a mistake. Tell me your thoughts so I can be prepared.

antispam540

imported post

deanf wrote:
My plan was to mind my own business, but to leave the window down and listen just in case I had to break up a fight.

????

That's not your job.
If you decide it's not your job, that's your own choice. I personally think it IS my job, depending on the situation - helping out your fellow man is everyone's occupation. If the situation wasn't clear, though, I certainly wouldn't get involved. If it's an arguing match, there's no way I'd take a gun or knife into that to break it up. If I decide to go in, I'd have to be willing to get beat up for it rather than go to jail for unjustified use of deadly force.

FunkTrooper

imported post

deanf wrote:
"Breaking up a fight" implies mutual combat. There's no one to be saved.
It wouldn't be mutual if one guy was getting stabbed to death, at that time it is okay to draw if it's a fist fight I would notify the police and maybe tell them to stop. I would only intervene if I felt someone would lose their life and in that case I would probably use pepper spray.

jmlefler

imported post

deanf wrote:
I agree. If you jump in, you become a 'willing combatant' and your claims to self-defense may disappear.

Most certainly tens of thousands of dollars will disappear from your possession.

Call 911. Observe. Save your money.

IMHO

Carry on.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Quilbilly wrote:
...I noticed there was a Man (30ish), near a gas station, yelling at another guy (20ish) about his Anti-Abortion sign. I was driving slow because of traffic and had plenty of time to pull into the gas station. My plan was to mind my own business, but to leave the window down and listen just in case I had to break up a fight. This guy would just not stop yelling about the sign, kept saying that it was way too graphic (had pics of dead babies). After about 5 mins the guy got back into his truck and left, and I went on my way as well.

Did you have a cell phone? If you did, why not call 9-1-1 and be a good reporter?

Quilbilly wrote:
When to draw in a situation where someone is waving a gun around and threatening to shoot is not a hard one to answer. But what about in a case like this? Iwas sitting in my car thinking about the tools at hand which were a .38 airweight (concealed VERY well,and a Kershaw...
You seem wayyyyy too eager...

Quilbilly wrote:
I always assumed a SD situation would be straight forward, that there would be no question when to draw.
Good Lord, man. Whatever gave you that idea?

Best of luck in any future legal proceedings.

ghosthunter

imported post

Mind your own business, call 911,

I cannot say I would not come to another persons aid ifI thought their life was in danger. But I would try every other option I had before walking in to the middle of this.

Honking the horn, yelling anything. Once you are in it. Your cars in it, your passenger.

And you will be the guy with the gun.

We carry firearms for Self Defense.

My humble opinion worth little to nothing.

kparker

imported post

We carry firearms for Self Defense.
Actually, Washington state law provides for much more than that, e.g.:
RCW 9A.16.020 The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:... (3) Whenever used by a party about to be injured, or by another lawfully aiding him or her...
RCW 9A.16.050 Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:

(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his presence or company [emphasis added]
The catch in the incident cited by the OP, of course, is that intervening when you come upon an incident already in progress puts you in the same sitation as a responding police officer: you have no idea who (if anyone) is the innocent victim.

So the real caution, IMO, is not that you shouldn't intervene on behalf of third parties, but rather that you shouldn't intervene in unknow situations.

Quilbilly

imported post

Whoah guys. I am NOT eager and I am NOT finding reasons to use my firearm. I had no intention of using my firearm unless someones life was in danger (if you read my post you would see that I almost locked my gun in the car). Someone was already calling the police so I didnt have to. I just didnt want some guygetting his face smashed in because he had a sign. It IS my job to help when I can. And as far as the legal implications go, I will do what I have to untill the police arrive and deal with the legal battle later. I obey Gods laws FIRST and the governments SECOND. I believe being a good samaritanhelping someone in need is well worth it. I

If you choose not to get involved thats okay. But do not tell me that I shouldnt, you might be the one I try to help tomorrow.

ChuckUFarley

imported post

jmlefler wrote:
deanf wrote:
I agree. If you jump in, you become a 'willing combatant' and your claims to self-defense may disappear.
I doubt that, a Police officer going to break up a fight can claim self defense if he had to shoot, you have the same right as any police officer when it comes to self defense, even though it his job.

Going into an argument to break it up does not imply you knew it would result in you trying to defend yourself.

FogRider

imported post

Sounds a little similar to a situation I was in a year or so ago. I left work late one night (don't remember the time, but it was well after dark), and a block away from the office was three homeless guys brawling of the sidewalk. I stopped my truck, stepped out (but remained in a position to bail if necessary), and observed the situation for maybe a minute, then called 911. I reported what was going on, and the fight broke up while I was talking to the operator. I let them know where the guys went (they all wandered off in different directions), and as soon as the were out of sight I hung up and left for home. I did see a cop a couple blocks away heading in that direction with cherries but no siren, but he was way too late.

I know I might get some flack, but in my opinion I did the right thing. While I didn't see any weapons, I still had no idea what these guys were capable of. I didn't see any good outcome from getting involved more than calling in the situation. It's not my job to protect any one of those guys, and it's not really my moral responsibility either.

deanf

imported post

I obey Gods laws FIRST and the governments SECOND.

So your creed goes something like this: God, Family, Country?

If so, part of Family is protecting them from harm. You have to be alive, not in jail, and not wrapped up in expensive legal process to do that.

You protect your family now, and you go on protecting them by not getting involved where you shouldn't. Or would God have it the other way?

FunkTrooper

imported post

I really don't know why you guys are reading that Quilbilly was eager to shoot someone, I think that's really great of you to break up a fight. The question is really more when do you draw in aide for someone else and that's if their is disparity of force, like an unarmed man being stabbed.

Soekris5501

imported post

ChuckUFarley wrote:
...Police officer going to break up a fight can claim self defense if he had to shoot, you have the same right as any police officer when it comes to self defense, even though it his job.

I agree completely but unfortunately that does not seems to be the general case these days. In many reports of shooting, or even drawing I have read unless a private individual is actively being shot at, has a gun pulled on him or is being stabbed to death it seems to be a close call between guilty and innocent.

I have read many reports of cops on the other hand mistakenly killing individuals because they "thought" they had a firearm, or in many situations less then "assured threat" and nothing came of it. They are back on the force a few days later.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

FogRider wrote:
Sounds a little similar to a situation I was in a year or so ago. I left work late one night (don't remember the time, but it was well after dark), and a block away from the office was three homeless guys brawling of the sidewalk. I stopped my truck, stepped out (but remained in a position to bail if necessary), and observed the situation for maybe a minute, then called 911. I reported what was going on, and the fight broke up while I was talking to the operator. I let them know where the guys went (they all wandered off in different directions), and as soon as the were out of sight I hung up and left for home. I did see a cop a couple blocks away heading in that direction with cherries but no siren, but he was way too late.

I know I might get some flack, but in my opinion I did the right thing. While I didn't see any weapons, I still had no idea what these guys were capable of. I didn't see any good outcome from getting involved more than calling in the situation. It's not my job to protect any one of those guys, and it's not really my moral responsibility either.

Well done. You were a good citizen.

Honestly, the most important tools for people who want to be Good Samaritans is a cell phone andset of peepers in working order. Also, some modicum of judgment.