• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Well it finally happened

Hammer

imported post

Funny part is, it wasn't in WA, it was in ID

I had walked into a Gas/food quick mart, and picked up a drink. My strong side was toward the checkout counter.
The clerk noticed, but didn't say anything until I got to the front of the line.
"Are you a cop?" she says.
I am dressed in jeans, a long sleeve pull-over, and wearing my Glock in a black Serpa CQC on my pants belt.
"No" says I
"You're undercover, aren't you? You know cops have to tell the truth- you can't lie"
At that point I just smile. Can't lie? I'm thinking.
"Cops are humans too" I say
She is just too full of words to wait for me. She jumps in "That's what I tell all my friends! They all say cops can't lie, but I tell them they can too!"
I smile and nod and take my drink.
"Just remember that when you are asked a question. And no, I'm not a cop"

But overall in ID less reaction of most any kind than in Western WA, at least....:celebrate

How 'bout you? Get asked often?

FunkTrooper

imported post

That's hilarious I love the "You're undercover, aren't you" comment. I had two thug guys threatening my friends when they noticed my pistol the one guy kept asking if I was a cop and I just told him "I don't have to tell you that" they left and he still didn't know if I was a cop. I think my hair is probably too long for someone to think I'm a cop.

DEROS72

imported post

I get that all the time.A friend of mine told me with the mustache golf shirt and slacks or 5.11's i have that cop look.

I told this story once before.But I was at the Starbucks as usual standing by the counter eating a donut with my coffee and this woman just looked at and said...You gotta be a cop. The girls at the counter that know me thought it was funny.

Soekris5501

imported post

I would assume that question would be asked quite frequently. Although most police that I have seen that OC have a badge next to their pistol.

I was asked the same question about 2 weeks ago. The funny thing is, I dont even carry yet. I was going through the drive through at a car wash in my SUV and it has a ton of wireless networking equipment and a laptop mounted on a stand for easy access. I replied "no, Im just a computer tech". I dont think she was expecting that answer :p

Dr. Fresh

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
DEROS72 wrote:
I get that all the time.A friend of mine told me with the mustache golf shirt and slacks or 5.11's i have that cop look.

I told this story once before.But I was at the Starbucks as usual standing by the counter eating a donut with my coffee and this woman just looked at and said...You gotta be a cop. The girls at the counter that know me thought it was funny.

Hate to be the one to break this news to you, but it was the donut.

Donut + gun = cop
Made me laugh. :D

DEROS72

imported post

Really guys there have been a couple of times in the last year that no matter what I said I could not convince them I was not a cop. Maybe if I loose the donut....:(

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Really guys there have been a couple of times in the last year that no matter what I said I could not convince them I was not a cop. Maybe if I loose the donut....:(

Just do something no cop would ever be able to do--rattle off the 4th Amendment. :D

Or, you could be really sneaky and give the cops some bad image. Just say something like, "I've never given a traffic ticket to a cop, no matter how badly he deserved it. Nor, would I arrest a cop who was drinking and driving."

:D

DEROS72

imported post

The 4th ammendment.Really ...they may get so confused and dazed.

I just picture a blank stare in a cops eyes if you told him of the 4th.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
The 4th ammendment.Really ...they may get so confused and dazed.

After I wrote that, I got to thinking about how I would say it.

You think I'm a cop? Come, now. Would any cop ever be able to recite the 4th Amendment like this: The right of the people to be secure in their...

DEROS72

imported post

In all fairness LE around here have really been supportive and will not bother you.There are a couple I have coffee with from time to time.Good guys.EXCEPT>>>

KENT PD!

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Washintonian_For_Liberty wrote:
Almost every time I'm out I'm asked if I'm a cop... I think the next time, I'll answer "Why does that matter?" Throw the ball back in their court.
I've had some luck with smiling and playfully saying, "Good heavens! That's insulting. I would never stoopthat low."

Given the reactions, I'm guessing there are a lot of people who really don't like getting traffic tickets.
:)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Thats good ,folks may not know how to respond to that.
So far, they've given big smiles.

Except for one young fella.It turned out he was taking a criminal justice class, thinking about being a cop.

DEROS72

imported post

Did he recite an answer from his text book or how he really feels.??

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Did he recite an answer from his text book or how he really feels.??
No. He looked slightly stunned, and maybe a tiny bit hurt. I was at an unfair advantage. I was his customer. Also, I think he was looking to create some common ground.

I cleaned it up later, just by being friendly and so forth on subsequent visits. One of these days I'll remember to get him to promise me that if he becomes a cop, he'll take the 4th and 5th Amendment to heart.