• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First LEO encounter in Greensboro

Racer X

imported post

I had called in a pick up order at the Golden Wok off of Wendover on my way home from a friend's house. I pulled into the parking lot and there were 3 G'boro PD cars already there. I said "OK...no better time than now". I'm wearing about the nicest clothes I have outside a business suit...nice jeans and a black polo untucked. There was only one other customer in the whole place and the officers were sitting on my strong side right at the counter. I tried to make eye contact with the male officer as I walked in and give him a nod, but the eye contact and the nod weren't timed properly and I don't think he saw. I think he was avoiding eye contact because he had already noticed my gun as soon as I opened the door (good SA I guess) and he was trying not to stare. I walked up to the counter and and paid then turned around and sat on the other side of the dining area closest to the counter facing the entrance. At this point they were mumbling about who was going to say something so I went a head and started my recorder. They all walked by me to empty their trash and then one of the female officers came back and asked me what agency I was with. She had noticed that I was still wearing my work ID on a Motorola lanyard around my neck. I told her that I work with 911 in High Point. She then said "So you have a permit and everything?" I said that you didn't need a permit to OC, that is only for concealed. She replied "Really?, Well you shirt was covering your gun when you walked in", which wasn't true, but this wasn't going too bad so no sense in hashing that one out. There was no way that my shirt could magically cover my gun getting out of the car and then magically uncover itself sitting down. I tried it when I got home...won't happen. I just told her I was sorry and that I didn't mean for that to happen. She said "OK" and that was that. One of them did wait in their car for me to leave, but they didn't approach me when I exited.

Over all I wouldn't mind calling up the GPD and telling them that I appreciate their officers not making a big deal out of nothing. They handled it "correctly" even though they did accuse me of concealing, but blew it off just as quickly.

I'm sure I'll be more comfortable the next time, especially if it's a little more of a negative encounter.

DT4E31

imported post

Would the contact have been different if you did not ID yourself as working for 911, ?

What agency you work for? Dominoes Pizza

Racer X

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
Would the contact have been different if you did not ID yourself as working for 911, ?

What agency you work for? Dominoes Pizza

I thought about that afterwards, but we'll never know. It's pretty rare that I still have my work ID on when I'm carrying so I'm sure there will be another time to answer that question. If I wasn't wearing my ID I don't think she would have opened with the same question which honestly it caught me a little off guard. I wasn't expecting that for the opener. Having my ID on makes it look very much like I'm with some sort of enforcement agency if I'm carrying.

jp49911

imported post

She then said "So you have a permit and everything?" I said that you didn't need a permit to OC, that is only for concealed. She replied "Really?, Well you shirt was covering your gun when you walked in", which wasn't true, but this wasn't going too bad so no sense in hashing that one out... I just told her I was sorry and that I didn't mean for that to happen. She said "OK" and that was that.
No sure if you have a ccp but if you don't, you admitted to breaking a statute. Not a good idea imo.

Racer X

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
She then said "So you have a permit and everything?" I said that you didn't need a permit to OC, that is only for concealed. She replied "Really?, Well you shirt was covering your gun when you walked in", which wasn't true, but this wasn't going too bad so no sense in hashing that one out... I just told her I was sorry and that I didn't mean for that to happen. She said "OK" and that was that.
No sure if you have a ccp but if you don't, you admitted to breaking a statute. Not a good idea imo.
I don't think the alternative would have been any better.

"Well your shirt was covering your gun when you walked in..."

"No it wasn't, you're a liar. Now go get your 2 other cop buddies to come back in here and back you up while I sit here and enjoy another 5-10 minutes of pointless harassment."

I'm pretty sure going in that direction would have zero chance of a better ending. I literally had to turn on about five filters in my brain not to tell her she was full of sh*# right then and there.

abbradsh

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
He knew that his shirt wasn't covering it, he was just avoiding confrontation.

jp49911

imported post

Well your shirt was covering your gun when you walked in..."

"No it wasn't, you're a liar...I literally had to turn on about five filters in my brain not to tell her she was full of sh*# right then and there.
lol

I understand where your thought process and I definitely would not suggest the "liar" approach. But that wasn't "the" only alternative.

I may have just not responded. I also would have asked what was the nature of her inquiry after she first came up and asked her first question. Just me...

Racer X

imported post

I think my main concern is that I work indirectly with local law enforcement. I feel like I have to be very cautious so as not to incur any backlash that could hurt my career. I don't want to have to explain myself in front of my bosses over a mole hill that some egotistical officer wanted to turn into a mountain. In the end, even if I'm right I lose.

Racer X

imported post

jp49911 wrote:
I'm sure you did the right thing for your circumstances in that situation

I hope that continues to be the case. I'm hoping to win the lottery one of these days so that I can turn a few of these filters off on a day to day basis without having to worry about anything. Someone asked, "if I won the lottery would I still go to work?" I told them I would but only until I got fired. It would only take a few hours for that to happen, but it would be some of the funniest 911 calls you've ever heard.

Myrighttocarry

imported post

abbradsh wrote:
jp49911 wrote:
He knew that his shirt wasn't covering it, he was just avoiding confrontation.
Just accept what they have to say sometimes, i've tried to argue and most of the time it is futile to argue with the police. In hindsight i'm sure Racer could have come up with a number ofbetter solutionsbut he was already expecting a confrontation and i'm sure he was a bit nervous as I would be.
Then hes got to deal with police on a daily basis including his job, best not to rock the boat in this economy unless they rock it first.