• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart

i_chance_all

imported post

Walmart said they would not honor the new law that is going to take place that would allow employees to keep a firearm secure in there vehicle.. the way it is now just having one in the parking lot even on your day off and your fired... Why would they think there policy is above state law that says other?

i_chance_all

imported post

my manager when I asked if they wanted us to use a secondary lot on the side or if we could use the main lot... I was told you bring it and your fired...

i_chance_all

imported post

Power and Ray, gilbert.... it was an assistant manager they are all acting store managers since he has moved to another store..

turbodog

imported post

Your manager cannot circumvent state law. Notify corporate that your manager is threatening employees with job loss for following a state law. Or have someone you know who doesn't work there do it on behalf of the employees.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

i_chance_all wrote:
my manager when I asked if they wanted us to use a secondary lot on the side or if we could use the main lot... I was told you bring it and your fired...
Does Wal-Mart do searches of employee's vehicles?

i_chance_all

imported post

They do not as far as I know, but your allowed to buy a gun at walmart but can not bring one into the parking lot even on your day off even with other customers walking around with them on there hip in the store... The rules are the opposite for the customers and the ever so different employee customers.. Is there an ARS number for this new law yet or does that come later? maybe they can fire me breaking the ever so great walmart rule that can jump over the state law and then I can teach them a lessson when I get my job and back pay back...

TOF

imported post

Don't press the issue untill September 30, 2009 or beyond as the law is not effective till then.

If possible get a voice recording of the manager threatening you with job loss etc.

Good luck

i_chance_all

imported post

Its some time but the freedom will be nice when I don't have to leave my right to protect behind... You can bet the day after I will post on if they do anything cause they will be watching me..

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Personally... I would invite that granola eatin' 'manager' out into that same parking lot (unarmed) for a bit of attitude adjustment... 'cause those types REEEEEEELLY piss me off. But... that's just me. Actually... this is an overt Civil Rightsviolation that should be adjudicated in court. Y'all should file a class action lawsuit to that affect against this 'manager' personally and Walmart... if 'corporate' doesn't jerk him up by the short 'n curlies beforehand. These petty tyrants need a dent in their bank accounts before they'll ever get their minds right.

55, 70 / SB 1168 / §12-781 / Ban on prohibiting guns in parked vehicles

It's unlawful for a property owner, tenant, public or private employer or
business entity (called the "responsible party" below for brevity) to
create a policy or rule that prevents a person from lawfully transporting
or storing any firearm in a privately owned motor vehicle if:

1 - the vehicle is locked or the firearm is in a locked compartment on a
motorcycle; and

2 - the firearm is not visible. Any attempt to do so is null, void, unenforceable and without legal effect.

The ban on gun bans in private vehicles doesn't apply under four
conditions: 1 - possession of the firearm is already banned under federal
or state law; 2 - the vehicle is owned or leased by the responsible party
in which case the ban is at their discretion; 3 - the responsible party has
a facility secured by a fence or other physical barrier, and also limits
access by a guard or other security measure, and the responsible party
provides secure storage with ready access and retrieval, similar to the
gun-locker rules for public buildings and events; and 4 - compliance with
this statute would violate another applicable federal or state law. Nuclear
generating stations must comply with gun-locker requirements.

The parking area for a single-family detached residence is exempt from
this law. Department of Defense contractors whose property is located
wholly or partially on a military base are exempt from this law. A
responsible party can provide an alternate parking facility close to the
main facility, ban firearms at the main one, and allow them at the
alternate facility, as long as they don't charge any extra fee.

Anticipating possible legal challenges from large corporations or other
property owners whose parking space is open to the public, the legislature
included a six-point set of findings, rare in state bills, to clarify that:
1 - the state and federal Constitutions provide strong protection for the
fundamental right to keep and bear arms for self defense;

2 - the enjoyment of this right is impaired if people are deprived the right to keep arms in their vehicles;

3 - people are deprived of their rights if firearms cannot be kept in their private vehicles;

4 - your locked private vehicle is
private, not a public space, you have the right to furnish it any way you
like that is legal to enhance your comfort, security, ease of movement and
enjoyment of liberty;

5 - parking lot operators are not unduly burdened by the presence of legally possessed property secured within the vehicle by
its owner; and

6 - this act is for the benefit and protection of people who
choose to exercise and enforce their fundamental right to bear arms in self
defense in their movements throughout this state, including in their
personal motor vehicles.

i_chance_all

imported post

The parking area for a single-family detached residence is exempt from
this law

so does that above text mean apartments can regulate? I just woke up from a short nap after being up 30 some hours so all this technical stuff is not making much sense...

Thoreau

imported post

While this new law was a huge 'yay' from me when it was signed, I hadn't yet read the verbage from the actual bill.

Not sure about the OPs situation, but with my employer there IS a fence'wall effect that surrounds the property on which I work and park... however there are always NUMEROUS (to the effect of at LEAST a dozen) gates into the 'secured' area that are kept wide open during business and that are NOT monitored or otherwise access-controlled. Unfortunately, I don't see such a requirement in the wording so I'm not yet sure how this will pan out for me. =(

In the OP's case, unless this walmart is far more locked down than any I've ever seen, they can't even remotely make a case for being exempt under any of the provided exemptions, so I'd say they're safe as of September 30th =)

i_chance_all

imported post

10 more days for walmart to fix it or as they said I will get fired that they will not honor the new law... its gonna be interesting...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

Sounds like they are envious of Disney. Or undocumented workers
who are here only to feed their families feel disenfranchised that they
can't be like the rest of us. Just more pandering.
Would be funny to OC dummy gun in car pull up then under the watchful eye
of the cameras, place 'gun' in lock box. Then watch them violate your privacy.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

i_chance_all wrote:
Walmart said they would not honor the new law that is going to take place that would allow employees to keep a firearm secure in there vehicle.. the way it is now just having one in the parking lot even on your day off and your fired... Why would they think there policy is above state law that says other?
The 'manager'... is blowin' smoke. There's no way he/they can prevent you from carrying a weapon in your vehicle on their parking lot or anywhere else. Walmart does not make law. Walmart cannot circumventcivil rightsregarding it's employees who are citizens. What this is... is the opinion of one little petty tyrant control freak 'anti'. That's all it is.