• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walmart

Pace

imported post

agreed with the person who said its a great lawsuit, there are whisterblower laws also, and lots of protection for being fired.

protector84

imported post

Unfortunately, a lot of large corporations seem to feel they are above the law. I have heard of Walmart doing all kinds of things and getting in trouble for it so this type of attitude against the new "Guns at Work" bill doesn't surprise me. I don't know if this is true or not but someone else said that Walmart (at least one of the stores) has a policy that if there is an electrical failure that all doors are immediately locked so nobody can get in or get out until the security remedies the situation. If that is true, that is highly illegal both in terms of fire codes as well as unlawfully detaining a person. I'd like to see them try that on me. Anyone who forcefully prevents me from leaving their property without probable cause that I have broken a law (i.e. shoplifting)islikely to get shot.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

protector84 wrote:
Unfortunately, a lot of large corporations seem to feel they are above the law. I have heard of Walmart doing all kinds of things and getting in trouble for it so this type of attitude against the new "Guns at Work" bill doesn't surprise me. I don't know if this is true or not but someone else said that Walmart (at least one of the stores) has a policy that if there is an electrical failure that all doors are immediately locked so nobody can get in or get out until the security remedies the situation. If that is true, that is highly illegal both in terms of fire codes as well as unlawfully detaining a person. I'd like to see them try that on me. Anyone who forcefully prevents me from leaving their property without probable cause that I have broken a law (i.e. shoplifting)islikely to get shot.

Wow, you come up with this rumor accusing the 2nd biggest company in this country, a companynot really known to practice kidnapping... and without any kind of verification, you come up with a thrat/plan to shoot someone there.

That's a rather, uhm, hmmm, not normal, let's say....thought progression.

OTOH, maybe Maslow was right......

Pace

imported post

If you shoot someone because they stopped you for shoplifting (is this a problem you have?) you are going to face more than just a "problem." You'll probably face felony murder, or felony attempted murder charges at that point, and then spend a lot of time in jail.

I'd advise keeping your weapon home while shoplifting and getting help :)

r6-rider

imported post

Pace wrote:
If you shoot someone because they stopped you for shoplifting (is this a problem you have?) you are going to face more than just a "problem." You'll probably face felony murder, or felony attempted murder charges at that point, and then spend a lot of time in jail.

I'd advise keeping your weapon home while shoplifting and getting help :)
no, hes saying if they try to prevent with from leaving without probable cause that he has committed an illegal act, such as shop lifting.

not if he gets caught shoplifting hes going to shoot him lol

Pace

imported post

Same thing. You can't shoot a security guard for trying to detain you. Doesn't fall under immediate threat of bodily injury.

TOF

imported post

As often happens we are getting a bit more hot air than needed in Arizona.

Don't expect your rights to be honored if you don't plan on honoring others rights. Businedd owners included.

If you don't like their rules go somewhere else.

r6-rider

imported post

i know, im not saying i agree with the action i was just correcting the misinterpretation.

but realistically if someone was preventing me from exiting a building that could potentially put my life in danger, such as a structure fire (or one thats about to start) i would most likely draw on the grounds that that person is crazy for wanting to stay and keep people with him haha

but really, i cant see them holding people in the store for any reason especially if there was a problem with the electrical. way to much liability for lawsuits

Pace

imported post

It is illegal to prevent anyone from leaving, unlawful detention, kidnapping etc... unless they are actual shoplifting, as per AR 13.1805 and indemnifies the person for reasonable cause.

protector84

imported post

I stand by what I said. I am a law abiding citizen and I am a soverign individual with basic human rights. I'm not talking about shoplifting here. I am simply talking about crazy gung-ho security guards many of whom haven't even had to undergo mental health screenings themselves doing something stupid to me. Nobody has the right to put their hands on me, force me to go anywhere I don't want to, or prevent me from leaving an establishment just because they say so. If they do either of those things and they are not acting in accordance with the law, I will defend myself as necessary. It is as simple as that.

Again, this was simply a rumor and it may not be true but I've witnessed other stupid stuff as well. One time I went to a sneak preview at a movie theater where they had a policy that if they found you with a recording device that they would confiscate it and you wouldn't get it back. Again, nobody takes my property without due process. If you are not using the device to break the law (illegally copying) but simply are violating the rules, their sole option is to remove you from their property--not take your possessions or lock you up in the back room. I have no tolerance for anyone violating my human rights. Period. Private property doesn't mean they can molest you however they want.

DMGNUT

imported post

I agree with Protector. A friend works for Wally World and says this is in fact company procedure. I would ask politely to leave, then insist, then threaten with bodily harm. I'm not sure how this would "pan out", but holding anyone against their will, is definitely a felony. I'm not a lawyer (nor do I play one on TV) but the use of force would seem to be justified.

DMGNUT

imported post

As for the gun in the car...

Toe the line, but make it clear you're packin in your car? Then wait and see what happens. Unfortunately, you're in a tuff spot. Any disagreement with a management type (or "in your face" response) and they'll watch you like a hawk, find a reason to write you up, and eventually get you fired.

Having said that, the proper response would of course be, "Kiss my @ss and try to get me and my gun laden car fired, you douche bag liberal!". Mind you, the last 4 words should be considered optional. :cool:

protector84

imported post

I do need to apologize here for the fact that I don't want to start a false rumor about Walmart. This was something that someone I know had heard about but I can't verify it. The point still stands, however, that private property and especially businesses are still subject to state and federal laws and regulations. They cannot illegally detain you, they cannot put cameras in the restrooms, they cannot confiscate personal property unless it was used in a crime andonly throughdue process, nor can they require a chip be embedded inside you prior to purchasing groceries.

The good news is that most companies simply want business to make a profit. With healthy competition, most companies will put the consumer first or risk losing too many people to its competition. Sadly, when some companies get so ridiculously large that they no longer have any real competition, they can fall prey to abuse of power. Since there is no measurable risk of losing too many customers, some companies will try to trample on the individual rights of customers, treat them like numbers, and form in a sense a private government over their properties.

People do need to be aware that companies cannot simply do whatever they want. As consumers we reserve the right to spend or not spend our money in any establishment. We also understand that if we don't abide by the lawful rules of the establishment (i.e. no smoking, no weapons, no loitering, no stealing, etc.) that we may be asked to leave the premises and/or be subject to criminal charges. Anything much beyond this is likely illegal. A company cannot violate your Constitutional rights or state and federal laws simply because you are on their private property. This applies to the fact that Walmart cannot simply fire someone for having a gun in their car when the state law clearly prohibits them from doing so. It also means that (pretending the rumor is true) that if a power outage occurs in a store, the company cannot lock all exits and detain people simply to prevent shoplifting.

I don't care if I sound radical here because I stand for my individual rights. If a company doesn't want my business of if I have somehow broken their rules (but not the law) I will leave the property without issue. However, I will nottolerate illegal searches, manhandling of any kind, or illicit violations of my privacy. Sad to say it is proven again and again that some businesses don't respect individual rights and often we hear of these places eventually getting sued or eventually shut down. Consequences apply to everyone eventually but simply means that you either choose to learn the easy way or the hard way. Enough said.

protector84

imported post

Another point to be made is that the only person who has your best interests in mind is you. It is not the government, not your professor, not your boss, not the police, and not the store manager. I learned this a long time ago. Your safety and your rights may be respected by some but certainly not by all. An example of this was when the security guards working in the World Trade Center on 9/11/01told employees in the building to go back to work even though 20 floors were engulfed in flames. You are an individual with basic human rights. Listen to your instincts and your needs. If you feel you need to bring your gun to work and leave it in the car, screw what Walmart says. They aren't exactly sending an armed motorcade to protect you to and from work.

Thos.Jefferson

imported post

My question is this, Why would you even let them know you have your gun in your car when you're on the clock? Just leave the thing in the car and hold on to your piece of mind. As for the "rule" about not having a gun on their property while you are off the clock, I'd carry openly in the store on my off day just to spite them and when they fired me for violating their "rule" I'd sue the crap out of them for violating my Rights. You are selling them a service by working there, they don't own you.

usaf0906

imported post

Thos.Jefferson wrote:
My question is this, Why would you even let them know you have your gun in your car when you're on the clock? Just leave the thing in the car and hold on to your piece of mind. As for the "rule" about not having a gun on their property while you are off the clock, I'd carry openly in the store on my off day just to spite them and when they fired me for violating their "rule" I'd sue the crap out of them for violating my Rights. You are selling them a service by working there, they don't own you.
+1 indeed.

mrh2008

imported post

I worked at that location, but i did not own my firearm while working there. I do frequently come into power/raywalmart OC'ingand chat with employees, and no one has ever mentioned it. What assistant manager might it be?

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Why not just conceal anyway? I've had several jobs that prohibited weapons, I carried there anyways. Learn to shut up and do your thing. I will never be disarmed. But I don't go around telling everyone about it. Well, just here on teh interwebz... :p Nobody needs to know, and it won't do anything good to tell them. Flapping your gums is what gets you in trouble pretty much everywhere, not just with dirty cops. And things you wouldn't expect will catch you. I've been fired for talking about how I don't think it's smart to smoke crack; the boss was a crackhead.

mrh2008

imported post

I was terminated from this wal-mart for doing what my emidiate supervisor told me to do.. =( and watched a 1200 LB Bay door fall on an employee... An assistent manager (Daniel)told a female elmployee to hold a 18' tall 12' wide bay door up with a 2"X4" while he got on a ladder and took some bolt cutters to the suporting cable to close it after a jam... The manager is still at that wal-mart, no consiquences what-so-ever... im not suprised the managers think they are above the law

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

mrh2008 wrote:
I was terminated from this wal-mart for doing what my emidiate supervisor told me to do.. =( and watched a 1200 LB Bay door fall on an employee... An assistent manager (Daniel)told a female elmployee to hold a 18' tall 12' wide bay door up with a 2"X4" while he got on a ladder and took some bolt cutters to the suporting cable to close it after a jam... The manager is still at that wal-mart, no consiquences what-so-ever... im not suprised the managers think they are above the law
And no blanket party?

For shame...