Thread: Bullet Laws?????

Post imported post

So what exactly does WI allow you to carry in your pistol? I have a full mag of JHPs in my gun when I oc. Is this legal or will the law lock me up for such an act? Also what defines "Dum-Dum" ammunition? I know my gunsmith brother cuts an "X" into the tip of his FMJ's when he carries (cheaper than buying JHP's I guess?), I've tried to tell em that was defined as a "Dum-Dum" round, and it was VERYilegal but maybe i'm wrong. Any clarifications would be great.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Wisconsin Statute law does not address self-defense ammunition that I know.

It is widely and wildly speculated that the state prosecutor would characterize unusual ammunition as indicating an eagerness to kill.

There may be regulations, contra law, on the subject of altered ammunition, made by the DNR for instance or some other subdivision of the State.

Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar

Post imported post

There are city ordinances out there (Madision for one)but as far as I know the state doesn't ban anything specific except for armor piercing ammo.

The DNR regulations say that you may not hunt deer with non-expanding bullets. So no FMJ's for that. http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/wildlife/regs/Deer09.pdf

R[ƎVO˩]UTION

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Lex malla, lex nulla

Post imported post

I think that mercury filled hollowpoints ala "Jaws" might be pushing it too far.

Post imported post

I know depleted uranium is not legal to use.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    I just spit coffee thru my nose at that! LOL!

Banned

Post imported post

LOL, sorry trying not to laugh....
    My father was actually witness to the first atomic bullet.
    Not sure if they even really have them anymore.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

The only ammunitionrestrictions I am aware of are (or used to be) in Madison WI.

They referred to something about "Barbed Bullets"
    My guess is that some city council member saw what a hollow-point looked like after striking a target and saw the expanded petals of the bullet as having "Barbs" on them and thought how it was not fair to the the criminalsthat are attacking youto be shot with one of these rounds because it may hurt them more than an FMJ.

25.035 BARBED BULLETS PROHIBITED.
    (1) It shall be unlawful for a person to own or to have in her/his possession any barbed bullet in the City of Madison except as hereinafter provided. All barbed bullets possessed in violation of this section and all firearms possessed or used in connection therewith are unlawful property and shall be seized by any peace officer. Upon conviction of the person for a violation of this section, all such property shall be disposed of pursuant to Sec. 968.20(3)(b) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
    (2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.

And Teflon coated rounds are on the no-go list because they have the ability to slide past the weave in Kevlar.

Banned

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    Upshot Knothole Shot Grable, 25 May 1953 was the only nuclear artillery shell actually test fired. At 11 inches diameter it is hardly a 'bullet'.1

No, there are no more nuclear artillery shells, deployed or in conservatorship. Components of later models were compatible with other munitions and may still be in service.

FN 1. http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Upshotk.html

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:
    The only ammunitionrestrictions I am aware of are (or used to be) in Madison WI.

My guess is that some city council member saw what a hollow-point looked like after striking a target and saw the expanded petals of the bullet as having "Barbs" on them and thought how it was not fair to the the criminalsthat are attacking youto be shot with one of these rounds because it may hurt them more than an FMJ.

(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to own or to have in her/his possession any barbed bullet in the City of Madison except as hereinafter provided. All barbed bullets possessed in violation of this section and all firearms possessed or used in connection therewith are unlawful property and shall be seized by any peace officer. Upon conviction of the person for a violation of this section, all such property shall be disposed of pursuant to Sec. 968.20(3)(b) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
    (2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.

And Teflon coated rounds are on the no-go list because they have the ability to slide past the weave in Kevlar.
    I guess FMJ is also out because it does expand (to some extend) beyond the original diameter of an unfired bullet.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Post imported post

Nutczak wrote:

I imagine that they were trying to describe Balck Talon bullets

Post imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
    Doesn't the cannon in the A-10 Warthogs fire depleted uranium rounds?

geoff

Post imported post

Pt111, those barbs no longer appear to be evenly spaced. Do you suppose they're okay then?

<edit> I do agree, prohibiting bullets such as those were probably the intent of the law</edit>

Banned

Post imported post

Geoff wrote:
    J.Gleason wrote:
    Doesn't the cannon in the A-10 Warthogs fire depleted uranium rounds? geoff
    DU rounds are very common across a wide range of weapons systems. DU is an inexpensive and effective byproduct of uranium refinement and separation.

There is nothing "atomic" about DU or uranium any more than lead.

Post imported post

Geoff wrote:
    Doesn't the cannon in the A-10 Warthogs fire depleted uranium rounds?

geoff
    I could have sworn the military stopped using it, but my research doesn't say so.

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Geoff wrote:
    Pt111, those barbs no longer appear to be evenly spaced. Do you suppose they're okay then?

<edit> I do agree, prohibiting bullets such as those were probably the intent of the law</edit>
    You got it,
    I believe the intent of the city ofmadison was to take away the ability for anyone to own firearms in general.
    Since they could not do that, they went after the ammuntion instead. Did our current government take a lesson from madison WI since they cannot touch firearms, so they go after the ammunition to eed them! Has anyone seen the "Ammunition Accountability act" that is in bill form?

Chris rock did part of his comedy about not taking guns away, but insteadmake ammunition so expensive barely anyone could afford it. he said something like; "If it takes $1,000.00 to purchase a bullet, a whole lot less people would getting shot." and if someone did get shot, they must have really desrved it at $1,000.00 per round"
    How sad is that? people in our government took advice from a comic!

Post imported post

Stoney-Point wrote:
    I think that mercury filled hollowpoints ala "Jaws" might be pushing it too far.

Dammit, there goes half my ammo!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

protias wrote:
    Dammit! There goes the other half!
    A. Gold

Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

Post imported post

Hey. . . . wait a minute. . . . . I'm Rich!!!!!:what:
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid. Han Solo

http://buffaloholstercompany.blogspot.com/ Concealment holsters IWB, SOB, and belt slide. Open Carry too. New from Buffalo Holster, Women's holsters for concealment and or belt carry.

Post imported post

Does that mean I have to stop using both rock salt and dimes in my double barrel shotgun? But I learned SO much from the movies!!!
    I aim to misbehave