• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bullet Laws?????

M9_Shamalan

imported post

So what exactly does WI allow you to carry in your pistol? I have a full mag of JHPs in my gun when I oc. Is this legal or will the law lock me up for such an act? Also what defines "Dum-Dum" ammunition? I know my gunsmith brother cuts an "X" into the tip of his FMJ's when he carries (cheaper than buying JHP's I guess?), I've tried to tell em that was defined as a "Dum-Dum" round, and it was VERYilegal but maybe i'm wrong. Any clarifications would be great.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

Wisconsin Statute law does not address self-defense ammunition that I know.

It is widely and wildly speculated that the state prosecutor would characterize unusual ammunition as indicating an eagerness to kill.

There may be regulations, contra law, on the subject of altered ammunition, made by the DNR for instance or some other subdivision of the State.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

The only ammunitionrestrictions I am aware of are (or used to be) in Madison WI.

They referred to something about "Barbed Bullets"
My guess is that some city council member saw what a hollow-point looked like after striking a target and saw the expanded petals of the bullet as having "Barbs" on them and thought how it was not fair to the the criminalsthat are attacking youto be shot with one of these rounds because it may hurt them more than an FMJ.

[align=left]25.035 BARBED BULLETS PROHIBITED.
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to own or to have in her/his possession any barbed bullet in the City of Madison except as hereinafter provided. All barbed bullets possessed in violation of this section and all firearms possessed or used in connection therewith are unlawful property and shall be seized by any peace officer. Upon conviction of the person for a violation of this section, all such property shall be disposed of pursuant to Sec. 968.20(3)(b) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
(2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.
[/align]
[align=left]And Teflon coated rounds are on the no-go list because they have the ability to slide past the weave in Kevlar.[/align]

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
LOL, sorry trying not to laugh....
My father was actually witness to the first atomic bullet.
Not sure if they even really have them anymore.

Upshot Knothole Shot Grable, 25 May 1953 was the only nuclear artillery shell actually test fired. At 11 inches diameter it is hardly a 'bullet'.[sup]1[/sup]

No, there are no more nuclear artillery shells, deployed or in conservatorship. Components of later models were compatible with other munitions and may still be in service.

FN 1. http://nuclearweaponarchive.org/Usa/Tests/Upshotk.html

protias

imported post

Nutczak wrote:
The only ammunitionrestrictions I am aware of are (or used to be) in Madison WI.

My guess is that some city council member saw what a hollow-point looked like after striking a target and saw the expanded petals of the bullet as having "Barbs" on them and thought how it was not fair to the the criminalsthat are attacking youto be shot with one of these rounds because it may hurt them more than an FMJ.

(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to own or to have in her/his possession any barbed bullet in the City of Madison except as hereinafter provided. All barbed bullets possessed in violation of this section and all firearms possessed or used in connection therewith are unlawful property and shall be seized by any peace officer. Upon conviction of the person for a violation of this section, all such property shall be disposed of pursuant to Sec. 968.20(3)(b) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
(2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.
[/align]
[align=left]And Teflon coated rounds are on the no-go list because they have the ability to slide past the weave in Kevlar.[/align]
I guess FMJ is also out because it does expand (to some extend) beyond the original diameter of an unfired bullet.

PT111

imported post

Nutczak wrote:

[/align]

I imagine that they were trying to describe Balck Talon bullets

Geoff

imported post

J.Gleason wrote:

Doesn't the cannon in the A-10 Warthogs fire depleted uranium rounds?

geoff

Geoff

imported post

Pt111, those barbs no longer appear to be evenly spaced. Do you suppose they're okay then?

<edit> I do agree, prohibiting bullets such as those were probably the intent of the law</edit>

Doug Huffman

Banned
imported post

Geoff wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Doesn't the cannon in the A-10 Warthogs fire depleted uranium rounds? geoff
DU rounds are very common across a wide range of weapons systems. DU is an inexpensive and effective byproduct of uranium refinement and separation.

There is nothing "atomic" about DU or uranium any more than lead.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Geoff wrote:
Pt111, those barbs no longer appear to be evenly spaced. Do you suppose they're okay then?

<edit> I do agree, prohibiting bullets such as those were probably the intent of the law</edit>

You got it,
I believe the intent of the city ofmadison was to take away the ability for anyone to own firearms in general.
Since they could not do that, they went after the ammuntion instead. Did our current government take a lesson from madison WI since they cannot touch firearms, so they go after the ammunition to eed them! Has anyone seen the "Ammunition Accountability act" that is in bill form?

Chris rock did part of his comedy about not taking guns away, but insteadmake ammunition so expensive barely anyone could afford it. he said something like; "If it takes $1,000.00 to purchase a bullet, a whole lot less people would getting shot." and if someone did get shot, they must have really desrved it at $1,000.00 per round"
How sad is that? people in our government took advice from a comic!