• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

City of Federal Way banning firearms from council chambers legal?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

I thought the legislature adopted the law and preempted cities and counties from passing firearm regulations.

The general law regulating firearms is RCW 9.41.300 and prohibits them in jails, courtrooms, mental institutions, but not in council chambers.

---------------------------------------

I see it says it was amended but the oc training bulletin says its not would be nice if they updated the traing bulletin

kparker

imported post

Unless the council chambers are in the same facility as the court, and it's not feasible to secure the court separately... but in that case they would still be required to provide secure storage.

Got a link the the FW Muni Code that contains this ban?

kparker

imported post

Both of the Federal Way City Code sections cited in the training bulletin are subject to preemption (unless, as stated earlier, in the case of the latter if the council chambers are colocated with a court facility and it's not feasible to treat them separately for securing the court.)

kparker

imported post

Ah! Current code says this (6.25.030 Weapons prohibited on liquor sale premises.:
(1) It is a misdemeanor for anyone, on or in any premises in the city where alcoholic beverages are dispensed by the drink, to:

(a) Carry in any manner any firearm, rifle or handgun, whether such person has a license or permit to carry such firearm or not, and whether such firearm is concealed or not, in that portion of an establishment classified by the State Liquor Control Board as off-limits to persons under 21 years of age;
The following section (6.25.040 Firearms prohibited in certain places ) does not contain any reference to council chambers.

j2l3

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
i'm more concerened they may be using the old TB and that would cause concern as that is one of the TB people here link to from the NorthWest Citizens Defense League

http://forum.nwcdl.org/index.php?action=downloads;cat=1

Well then, tha author of the bulletin is listed at the end of it. Why not give him or his replacement a call and have a conversation about it. You have a valid concern and it's easy to show that he code ahs changed and that the bulletin hasn't kept up.

Have you checked to see if they may have already updated it and NWCDL doesn't have the most current copy?