• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Memphis Carry Advice on law

BigMikeFromOleMiss

imported post

Ill be going to memphis tonight. I know the restaurant carry is law now, but did memphis pass any ordinances to restrict restaurant carry?

Ill be going to Texas de Brazil, peabody place area. Any crazy restrictions there that anybody knows of?

any opencarry restrictions?

utbob2004

imported post

Beale Street is a special place because Beale street itself is private property. It is under the management of some company named Performa Entertainment. Any bar/club that is on Beale between 4th street and Main Street are operated by that company. So there is NO carry of any kind on Beale Street.

suntzu

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
Beale St. isa special situation. AFAIK

Maybe someone that lives in the area can tell you if it posted.
Fallguy, or anyone in the Memphis area---is Beale Street a public street, or is it private property owned by an individual or corporation?

The performa entertainment website leads me to believe--perhaps incorrectly, that Beale Street is in fact owned by the city of Memphis, with the company only as the property manager....

Now if Beale Street is still owned by the city--the businesses aside--then how can a property management company ban an OC'er/CC'er from walking on a public street or sidewalk as long as he/she does not enter any of the posted buildings?

Fallguy

imported post

I really don't know....and to be honest don't know where to get a 100% straight answer, especially if you tell them why you are asking.

suntzu

imported post

Fallguy wrote:
I really don't know....and to be honest don't know where to get a 100% straight answer, especially if you tell them why you are asking.
Maybe the Memphis city administrator or the Shelby Co. Executive will know or be able to find out.

As for telling them why we would want to know---and I don't mean to sound like a jackass about it--but really it isn't their business to know why we want to know.

BealeStreet

imported post

Hi, I can respond for Beale Street. The City of Memphis owns the property but it is under a 52 year lease to Performa. This will be changing in approximately 90 days but for the present, let me explain how the rules of carry permits work in the Beale Street Historic District(I have one myself).

Each club or restaurant in the state under the new law may opt to post the "no handguns allowed" sign at the door. Beale Street operates as a single entity in this respect. At night the streets are barricaded and closed to traffic; this allows patrons to walk around outside with beverages (within the confines of the barricades). The barricades themselves, stretching from Second Street to Fourth Street, constitute the "front door" of our single entity "club" and the signs are posted there (as well as at the door of each club). Police monitor the barricades at night and on weekend nights private security forces also beef it up, with wanding for metal on busy nights. If you are a permit holders and the beep goes off, we will ask you politely to return the weapon to your car or hotel room. If you are not a permit holder and the beep goes off, its straight to the paddy wagon.

When the City of Memphis takes over management of the street in coming months, I feel certain that these rules endorsed by both the Beale Street Merchants Association and the MPD will remain intact.

Hope this explanation is helpful.

aadvark

imported post

When Beale Street comes under the venue of Memphis..., then, Tennessee Law will govern Beale Street.

As far as I can think of, Tennessee Law 39-17-1359 covers this situation.

Violators can not be Arrested under 39-17-1359, but are subject to a Civil Fine of $500.

Pursuant to Tennessee State Law 39-17-1314, the matter governing Beale Street is Preempted to a General State-wide Concern, and anything contrary to the aforementioned Code Section is null and void.

Simply put, if Memphis acquires Beale Street as City of Memphis Property, they [Memphis]:

1....They [Memphis City Council] put a Sign saying no Firearms on Beale Street, and

2. If somone ignores the Sign, and is caught, it is a $500 Fine, but no Arrest or Court Case can follow, unless, of course, they Violate some other Tennessee Statute.

utbob2004

imported post

Wasnt there language in the original law for carry in establishments that serve alcohol on premises that Beale street was exempt from the law?

Fallguy

imported post

utbob2004 wrote:
Wasnt there language in the original law for carry in establishments that serve alcohol on premises that Beale street was exempt from the law?
I'm not sure I fully follow your question, but....there has never been special exceptions for any place (let alone Beale st)in any of the laws or bills on carry where alcohol is served.

tnhawk

imported post

utbob2004 wrote:

Those who control memphis would prefer that only criminals have weapons on Beale Street. The problems in and around the Plush Club have shown that.

I have NO reason to place myself at risk be going to Beale street or downtown Memphis.

aadvark

imported post

Memphis is a bad place to start with..., from what I have been told.

In addition to the above comment, I have never encountered a Beale Street exception to the, now antiqueted, Tennessee Code 39-17-1305.

razorback2003

imported post

I have recently carried on Beale Street on a Saturday evening and not had any problems. There is a very heavy police presence. I carry my snub concealed in a pocket holster. I was walking down Beale Street after dinner at Rendevous just enjoying seeing all the tourists.I didn't walk through any metal detectors.

I have heard that real late at night there is some sort of driver license checking to make sure only adults are on Beale Street. I have no idea because I don't go on Beale Street that late.

Peabody Place is not the hottest location...if you've never been there. It has become over run with some shady folks. I would avoid that place...last time I was there a couple of years ago I had my snub in my pocket as was glad...and quickly left after having coffee when I saw the 'thug' crowd coming in the later it got.

Peabody Hotel is a nice place.....there is a cool lounge to sit order a snack, drinks of your choice, go up and see the ducks. Not many modern hotels like it. There might be some sort of sign...who knows. If Peabody sees it...they'll ask you to leave. Last time I was there my gun was in mypocket concealed.

I honestly would not openly carry a handgun in downtown Memphis for a lot of reasons....mainly these silly signs. Keep it concealed until this sign/alcohol/guns hysteria blows over. Memphis Police know we're the good guys...but your life will be a lot easier by hiding it for now. Yes I know this is an 'open carry state w/ a license'...but you won't be carrying anywhere downtown Memphis unless you've got a small auto or snub concealed well. My life is important enough when downtown to keep it concealed.

suntzu

Hi, I can respond for Beale Street. The City of Memphis owns the property but it is under a 52 year lease to Performa. This will be changing in approximately 90 days but for the present, let me explain how the rules of carry permits work in the Beale Street Historic District(I have one myself).

If the City of Memphis owns the property, regardless of whether it is a 52yr lease to Performa or not--it is still a city street within the city of Memphis--so again, how can you stop a law abiding citizen from carrying a firearm as long as he/she/they have a permit and do not enter one of the businesses which is posted--you cannot post a street as much as Memphis probably would like to.

Each club or restaurant in the state under the new law may opt to post the "no handguns allowed" sign at the door. Beale Street operates as a single entity in this respect. At night the streets are barricaded and closed to traffic; this allows patrons to walk around outside with beverages (within the confines of the barricades). The barricades themselves, stretching from Second Street to Fourth Street, constitute the "front door" of our single entity "club" and the signs are posted there (as well as at the door of each club). Police monitor the barricades at night and on weekend nights private security forces also beef it up, with wanding for metal on busy nights. If you are a permit holders and the beep goes off, we will ask you politely to return the weapon to your car or hotel room. If you are not a permit holder and the beep goes off, its straight to the paddy wagon.

When the City of Memphis takes over management of the street in coming months, I feel certain that these rules endorsed by both the Beale Street Merchants Association and the MPD will remain intact.

Hope this explanation is helpful.

So I didn't buy the drivel. Now again--how can a private business restrict my right to walk down a city street--which you admit is owned by the City of Memphis? Regardless of whether it is leased to a private business or not--does the city of Memphis own the street and if it does, how can you post an entire street?

Last edited: