• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jersey shooting

KBCraig

imported post

Legba wrote:
What's up with this story? The gun is described as "not a normal shotgun" but they don't provide details other than it was pump-action.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/17/nyregion/17jersey.html?em

-ljp
Chief Comey said the weapon announced the suspect’s intentions.
“This individual came fully ready to go to war with us. This is not a normal shotgun, this is not a street weapon, this is one meant to hunt nothing other than men, and he took it out on our police officers,” he said.

I take that to mean that a "normal shotgun" is meant for shooting birds, either clay or real, and that an ordinary defensive shotgun with a full length magazine is "not normal".

And/or, it was a cruiser, with a pistol grip instead of a buttstock.

WheelGun

imported post

It had a folding stock, Iimagine a stock similar to the paratrooper version of the M1 carbine.

The cops always feed reporters facts about hardware the BGs use, especially when the features include 'non-sporting' accessories. Trying to vilify the item, not the people.

You don't hear reporters saying that the suspects were 'mean and nasty and ugly looking.' That would be politically incorrect.

Heck, many news reports today leave out physical descriptions of a suspect entirely. They limit it to 'a man with a green shirt' as if he has no other shirts to change into.