• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Terminology help

mahkagari

imported post

In discussing firearm self-defense with people, I often refer to "nervous housewife syndrome". I.e. the affliction of both men and women who stop training at buying a gun and firing half a box of ammo. When it comes to a self-defense situation they are blatantly unskilled with the weapon. An experienced BG isn't worried about a nervous housewife. They're worried about when they see the person'seyes only seeingjust another silohuette.

Lately, more and more I'm talking to people with non-firearm self-defense training talking about disarming blatantly untrained attackers. The BGs who are so used to just showing a little force getting what they want, they aren't used to someone actually prepared to take their gun and break their fingers in the process. The people I talk to don't see the need to carry a gun. They train for hand to gun confrontation. Good for them so long as they don't try to legislate the rest of us who prepare for the few BGs who ARE ready to use their guns.

I think most of us can agree that most BGs are not the 300 lb experts in hand to hand combat expert marksmen that the bleeding anti-gunners say are lurking around every corner who will turn your gun against you and are just victims of societywhodeserve sympathy so don't worry about self-defense and certainly don't carry a weapon that a 4 year old is going to find and shoot his brother with.

But what do we call the others? I had an attacker weilding a knife who all I had to do was square off and raise a fist to make him run. "Falsely ballsy?" "Armas sin huevos?" Is there a catch-phrase already out there?

S

scubabeme

imported post

I'd call them, the good guys, trained and prepared self-defenders. I personally just finished the first level of that training--Col Jeff Cooper's Essential Pistol (@ Gunsmoke if you wanna know)--to make myself more prepared. Yes, it's pricey, but having taken it, I think it was well worth the expense. The BGs are just opportunistic cowards.

mahkagari

imported post

Got it:

"Armas sin huevos y no huevos sin armas."

Weapons without [eggs] and no [eggs] without weapons. For BGs (or would be good guys) who have their guns but lack the internal fortitude to back it up.