• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

20 guns considered arsenal and seized by police

JUMPMASTER

imported post

a sawed off barrel is not illegal. If the barrel was shorter then 16" or over all lengths was less then 26" then that's a problem. No mention here if police obtained an " at risk" warrant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News

Police find arsenal in Clinton man’s home

Thursday, July 16, 2009

By Register Staff

CLINTON — When they entered Michael Miserocchi’s East Main Street house, police said "guns were everywhere."

Police said Miserocchi’s arsenal contained 20 rifles, including a high-power weapon used by many police departments, as well as 50 loaded ammunition magazines, thousands of rounds of ammunition and other accessories that included rifle-mount telescopes.

Unfortunately for Miserocchi, police said, the collection also included a .22-caliber rifle with a sawed-off barrel and a homemade silencer, and possession of either falls under the state’s criminal felony statutes.

Police said they visited Miserocchi’s apartment, behind and attached to the retail shopping center at 344 E. Main St., early Saturday afternoon after a neighbor complained that he was firing a rifle behind his residence.

When police entered the house, Maj. Todd Lawrie said, "It was readily apparent that he had many guns in the residence." Miserocchi turned over the two rifles he said he had been firing in his backyard, one of which had the sawed-off barrel, police said.

Police pointed out that there are businesses and residences within 100 feet of his firing range, that he had no backstop for his targets, and the residential neighborhood along Groveway is an unobstructed 200-300 yards directly behind his residence.

Miserocchi has no criminal record and indicated that he "simply liked guns," police said.

Police removed the arsenal from the home and charged Miserocchi with breach of peace; unlawful discharge of firearms; possession of a sawed-off rifle; and possession of a silencer. He was released on $10,000 bail for a July 21 court appearance.

URL: http://www.nhregister.com/articles/2009/07/16/news/doc4a5f037f9b964896680371.prt

© 2009 nhregister.com, a Journal Register Property

Hef

imported post

Sounds to me like he was stupid enough to discharge a firearm in a residential area with little concern for safety. The reporter fluffed it up into something akin to catching an Al Qaeda cell red handed.

**IF** he cut a rifle barrel shorter than 16" without NFA registration, and **IF** he was in possession of an unregistered suppressor, then I hope he does get everything coming to him. It's called "paying the stupid tax", and it appears that he's earned it.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

Seizing the sawed off rifle and the silencer for evidence is one thing. Butto seizethe whole collection is another thing. By CT law there are quite a few hoops to jump through before that can happen. Of course that depends if the Law is following THE LAW.

wrightme

imported post

If he is currently under indictment for a felony (as appears due to the charges against him), he is under a temporary status as a "prohibited person," is he not?

old dog

imported post

Bill is right. Mea culpa.

I guess I was thinking of the old Trapper Model 92s with their 14-inch barrels.

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

Bill in VA wrote:
I don't see this an RKBA or open-carry issue. The guy was foolishly shooting in his backyard without regard to basic safety rules, he mostlikely wasin violation of a raft of state and local ordinances for doing, he was in possession of what's likely an unregistered suppressor and an unregistered short-barreled rifle (both of which are felonies and would preclude possession of a firearm; even acusation of a felony can be grounds for temporary seizure of the otherfirearms.) He gets no sympathy form me; he got what he deserved: an arrest.

I think the relevant issue is that twenty guns is considered an "arsenal" andsimple possession of loaded mags andenoughrounds fora season can be used to make you into Bin Laden's right hand man.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

JUMPMASTER wrote:
...the collection also included a .22-caliber rifle with a sawed-off barrel and a homemade silencer, and possession of either falls under the state’s criminal felony statutes.

Police said they visited Miserocchi’s apartment, behind and attached to the retail shopping center at 344 E. Main St., early Saturday afternoon after a neighbor complained that he was firing a rifle behind his residence.

Police pointed out that there are businesses and residences within 100 feet of his firing range, that he had no backstop for his targets, and the residential neighborhood along Groveway is an unobstructed 200-300 yards directly behind his residence.

Police removed the arsenal from the home and charged Miserocchi with breach of peace; unlawful discharge of firearms; possession of a sawed-off rifle; and possession of a silencer. He was released on $10,000 bail for a July 21 court appearance.

Sounds like a goof with a gun...

2.gif