• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Haven Gun buy back program

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I hope they call SLFUto get approval for each transaction.Is it possibleto set up a table nearby and offer $150 per gun? Such a shame that they are going to destroy the guns instead of reselling them.

Story below:

New Haven shoots for
safe streets
Gun buy back program starts next week
Updated: Thursday, 16 Jul 2009, 4:15 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 16 Jul 2009, 3:52 PM EDT

New Haven (WTNH) - The city of New Haven is taking action to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

This will be the third gun buy back program in the city of New Haven. In the first two, over 200 guns were collected; folks can turn in the guns, no questions asked.

Those bringing in guns will be given a $100 gift card to use at a local business. The city's Board of Police Commissioners raised the money to pay for the gift cards.

Organizers don't expect the gun buy back to drastically reduce crime but say it helps raise awareness and maybe keep weapons from being given away illegally or selling it.

"It would be naive to think that this alone is going to clear up violence in the city but we feel if this stops just one crime, one shooting, one injury from taking place, it's well worthwhile and it creates an awareness of how important it is to get guns off the street," said Richard Epstein, Chairman for the Board of Police Commissioners.

"Taxpayer money is not being used for this buy back; this money was raised by the members of the Board of Police Commissioners and we would not have been able to do it if they had not stepped forward, raised the money for it," said Chief James Lewis of the New Haven Police Department. "So, we think it's just an another small piece of trying to reduce the unacceptable number of shootings that occur here in the city of New Haven."

The gun buy back will begin next Tuesday, July 21st and run through Saturday, July 25th. Folks can bring the unloaded guns to the Dixwell Police substation on Charles Street from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.

Those turning in the guns won't face any charges for illegal possession. However, police will check out the guns and test fire them to see if the weapons have a criminal history; eventually all will be destroyed.

AGust82

imported post

That sounds like a trap. Borrow a car and wear a fake mustache to that thing. Those guns will be run through the forensic ringer and the police will be at your door in a heartbeat if they match any crime data. "Anonymous"my ass. If I was in posession of a weapon that needed to disappear it would get fed to a bench grinder and theshavings dumpedin a river. Oops, disregard that last statement. I'd take it to New Haven and trade it for a Home Depot gift card.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I love when these buybacks are well publicized and the true gun crowd brings in PIECES of CRAP that arent worth $100 and get paid!!!

Now I am gonna call all my friends that have garbage laying around their collections and tell them to go cash in!!!

AWDstylez

Banned
imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
I love when these buybacks are well publicized and the true gun crowd brings in PIECES of CRAP that arent worth $100 and get paid!!!

Now I am gonna call all my friends that have garbage laying around their collections and tell them to go cash in!!!

FTW!

Anyone know of some stashes of junk guns we can go buy up and own these idiots out of all their gift cards?

It says "those bringing in guns will be given." It says nothing about per gun, but then what would the motivation be to bring in more than one? Can anyone confirm if it's per gun or not? For $100 per gun I'll go buy every pile of crap I can find and get myself a new LCD from Best Buy for half price.

On a different note... I wonder how many guns are going to be stolen before this so the thugs can turn them in for a 100% profit.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

R a Z o R wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:

Anyone know of some stashes of junk guns we can go buy up and own these idiots out of all their gift cards?

Yea and then we can sell the idiot's gift cards for like maybe $10 to get the stuff . . . sniff know what I mean . . . sniff
NO I DONT KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN??????

Stargazer65

imported post

Silly question maybe, but do they acceptair guns? I have two old ones that I would love to get a gift card in place of them.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

They pulled this crapin Chitcago several times, The guns that are turned are usually nothing but delapidated POS's! Only the stuff the homies busted up by trying to pry of trigger locks, or busted up in some other way. Nothing of any use or valuewas ever turned in from the videos I have seen.

Setting up a table to purcahse some quality guns that may show up to purchase for yourself??
I like your thinking. But what is required for a privte purchase in that state? Would the seller need to show ID, or fill out paperwork? I imagine you would get some takers especially i offering cash at a 50% higher face value than a friggin gift card.

What are the gift cards for? McDonalds or Wal-Mart?

Bax5127

imported post

Do you not think this is illegal? Where is there FFL to buyor sell firearms? If I were to have a gun buy back the police and the feds would be there quick. This does very little to get the illegal guns off the streets and takes advantage of the legal owners who don't know the value of some of there firearms.

littlemike

imported post

I like that. I can dig out an old .25ACP piece o' ____ that a legit purchaser wouldn't offer me $25 for and get $100. If the gift cert is good at any store in the city of New Haven, I'd go right over to Lowe's and get some of the materials I was gonna have to buy out of pocket. Then I could take the money I was going to spend and put it in my "toy budget," there's a bunch of things I could use over at Jojo's (ammo, mags, etc.)

What a farce! As already pointed out above by Beau, this bit of PC-speak ("buy-back") is a complete misnomer, and is just candy for the delusional libs who are anti-gun, including the naive members of the media. Notice Annie Rourke's opening line: "The city of New Haven is taking action to keep guns out of the hands of criminals." Anyone who believes that is completely intelligence-impaired, and even the police admit it.

By the way, I would like to see how they are going to "test fire them to see if the weapons have a criminal history...*" LOL!

:celebrate

*= Why do so many of these so-called "journalists" write as if English were not their first language or they never made it past 5th grade?