• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NICS and rifles

mekender

imported post

donkatec wrote:
Mekender and Mike,

Thanks for your responses. I live in Winston-Salem. I'd love to know of a dealer here that won't wait this long to release, especially if their prices are good.

Also, my friend here told me to check into classifieds, but I have no idea where to look. Not sure about buying a used .22 rifle, but why not? Anyone know of where to look?

BTW, I'm close to even emailing their corporate and telling them I will no longer do business with them over their poor customer service and policy. (Twice already they never called me back after I called them)

I have no issues waiting three days for a rifle, but 14 days is a bit much, especially if I've never been arrested or in trouble with the law. I'd gladly tell them that they lost about $500 in this one transaction.

Thanks again!

first place i would check is http://www.thesportsmanslodge.org/

the owner, chuck, is about as good a guy as you will find... he is only about 10 miles up 421 from winston...

if you want, you could also check and see what is up for sale at carolinashootersforum.com

donkatec

imported post

UPDATE:

Officially one month now and no NICS callback. Still on delay.
A friend of mine applied for his first rifle three weeks ago. Still no response.

While at the store following up, a lady was purchasing a rifle. She had waited about four weeks, too. Has this become the norm now? Has anyone attempted to purchase a rifle in the past month (without a CCW)?

By the way, I did call some local shops, and it looks like they've adjusted their selling practices. Because of past experiences, they are now waiting for approval before selling long guns.

mekender

imported post

gutshot wrote:
donkatec wrote:
UPDATE:

Officially one month now and no NICS callback. Still on delay.
A friend of mine applied for his first rifle three weeks ago. Still no response.

While at the store following up, a lady was purchasing a rifle. She had waited about four weeks, too. Has this become the norm now? Has anyone attempted to purchase a rifle in the past month (without a CCW)?

By the way, I did call some local shops, and it looks like they've adjusted their selling practices. Because of past experiences, they are now waiting for approval before selling long guns.
They will not call back. After the three days expire NICS stops the check and closes the file. I've been getting delays on every purchase I've made since NICS started (maybe 40 purchases). It's no big deal, find another dealer.

yeah, he is right... did you check with the shop i linked to you?

donkatec

imported post

This is the first I've heard about NICS closing the file after 3 days.

I called both shops and the one dealer (I think gun rack) said they no longer release the guns unless they get the approval. Too much problems with the ATF, they stated.

I didn't get the chance to ask the second dealer. I'm kinda getting tired of all these delays. This is exactly why I never bothered in my old state. I thought it would be much easier after moving to NC.

So if I can find a dealer that releases after 3 days, I'll try that, but what happens to the original NICS delay?

mekender

imported post

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm

"The NICS Section

Located at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division in Clarksburg, West Virginia, the NICS Section processes background checks for the FFLs in those states that have declined to serve as POCs for the NICS. The FFLs conducting business in these states will contact the NICS either by telephone, via one of the contracted call centers, or electronically by the NICS E-Check via the Internet. The FFLs will provide the descriptive information requested on the ATF Form 4473, which is required by law to be completed and signed by every prospective firearm transferee. The FFL will receive a response that the transfer may proceed or is delayed. This response is typically provided within 30 seconds.

If no matching records are returned by any of the databases, the transaction is automatically proceeded. If the NICS returns a match of the prospective firearm transferee’s descriptive information to that of record information located in any of the databases, the FFL is advised that the transaction is delayed. While the FFL is still on the telephone, the call is placed on hold and transferred to the NICS Section in Clarksburg, West Virginia, for a quick review and evaluation by a NICS Legal Instruments Examiner (NICS Examiner). If the record information returned by the NICS presents a valid match to the descriptive information of the prospective firearm transferee, the NICS Examiners, who have access to protected information (as opposed to Call Center personnel who do not have such access) review the information to determine if state and/or federal firearm prohibitive criteria exists. If the information matched by the NICS is not a valid match or no prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL they may PROCEED with the firearm transaction. The FFL must record the NICS Transaction Number (NTN) on line 21b of the ATF Form 4473 and retain the form for auditing purposes.

If it is determined that prohibitive criteria exists, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DENY the firearm transaction. If potentially prohibitive criteria exists and more information is required in order to make the determination, the NICS Examiner will advise the FFL to DELAY the firearm transaction and the FFL will receive the following instructions:

“. . .NTN ___ will be delayed while the NICS continues its research. If you do not receive a final response from us, the Brady Law does not prohibit the transfer of the firearm on day/date.”

The NICS Examiner will provide the FFL with the date of the third business day after the firearm check was initiated. Business days do not include the day the check was initiated, Saturdays, Sundays, and any day state offices in the state of purchase are closed. If the FFL has not received from the NICS a final determination after three business days have elapsed since the delay response, it is within the FFL’s discretion whether or not to transfer the firearm (if state law permits the transfer). If the FFL transfers the firearm, the FFL must mark “No resolution was provided within three business days” on line 21d of the ATF Form 4473. It is recommended the FFL record the date provided in the delay response on which the firearm may be lawfully transferred under federal law if a final determination of proceed or denied is not received from the NICS.

When a transaction is DELAYED, the NICS Examiner begins extensive research on the potential prohibitor. When the research is complete, the NICS Examiner calls the FFL and gives a PROCEED or DENY decision on the firearm transaction.

In states that agree to serve as POCs for the NICS, the functions performed by the NICS Section are performed by a local or state law enforcement agency which services the FFLs. The FFLs call these local or state agencies, which perform the check, make the decision whether the check indicates an individual is disqualified or not from possessing a firearm, and notify the FFL of the results of the check."

fenderfreek

imported post

donkatec wrote:
This is the first I've heard about NICS closing the file after 3 days.

I called both shops and the one dealer (I think gun rack) said they no longer release the guns unless they get the approval. Too much problems with the ATF, they stated.

I didn't get the chance to ask the second dealer. I'm kinda getting tired of all these delays. This is exactly why I never bothered in my old state. I thought it would be much easier after moving to NC.

So if I can find a dealer that releases after 3 days, I'll try that, but what happens to the original NICS delay?

It seems to be a problem with NICS, not NC. Since you are here, it seems the easiest route is to go ahead and get your CCP and end the foolishness. A CCP waives the NICS check entirely for all purchases. I know it's not right, and it shouldn't be your problem, but unfortunately that's the way life goes and having a CCP isn't a bad idea anyway.