• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

accosted by a loudmouth

Shiawassee Mike

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was carrying at the party store at Sliver Lake Rd & Duffield and an older guy comes up to me and asks if I am a policeman. I tell him no and he starts yelling, "You're part of the problem"! He said that several times and adding "that's why we're going to lose our rights".

I told him it was my civil right, and he goes off again repeating the same thing. Then I said " You probably liked it when blacks were swinging from trees" (implying the lynchings that took place due to a lack of respect for civil rights) He finally walked away.....

steve

imported post

yea, social outburst's gotta love them...

Next time tell him he's the problem, he's the reason we will lose our rights do to lack of exercising them....

SpringerXDacp

imported post

Shiawassee Mike wrote:
I was carrying at the party store at Sliver Lake Rd & Duffield and an older guy comes up to me and asks if I am a policeman. I tell him no and he starts yelling, "You're part of the problem"! He said that several times and adding "that's why we're going to lose our rights".

I told him it was my civil right, and he goes off again repeating the same thing. Then I said " You probably liked it when blacks were swinging from trees" (implying the lynchings that took place due to a lack of respect for civil rights) He finally walked away.....
Mike, what was the owner/clerks reaction to this? Was anything said after the fact?

DanM

imported post

Shiawassee Mike wrote:

Obviously the guy has a severe psychological impairment at leastwith respect to controlling his offensive/threateningsocial interactions, if not wider in scope. Even if his idea weren't so laughably preposterous (exercising a rightis reason to abolish it) and there was an outside chance it were truly a possibility,hisRKBA will be taken away because ofhisimpairment LONG before. Of course, mentally ill people many times do notperceive their own illness.

I feel sorry for the guy.

Shiawassee Mike

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Sorry it took so long for the response, but my internet out here is wireless and it fails quite often.
The young lady working the register didn't say anything about it. I think she just noticed it when the guy mentioned it.
The air conditioning was not working and it was about 85-90 inside and I was talking to here about it as she rang up the sale.
She was very pleasant and didn't seem to care.
I think the guy was a regular, he was at the deli counter talking to a different worker or owner. I don't go in there too often maybe once a week or so.
I've thought about going in and talking to the owners about it, but my first reaction is to always defuse the situation not escalate it. Maybe in the future.
The store has a CPL class flyer on the window in the vestibule so the guy may have been connected to that, his demeanor indicated he liked to preach, not listen.

What bothered me the most was/is people who want to start an argument just so they can hear themselves. As soon as they see you react calmly without yelling, it takes the wind out of their sails, and you leave them behind as they flounder.

Michigander

imported post

Once in a while you meet someone who is beyond help. It does no good to look back on it and concern yourself with it.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Shiawassee Mike wrote:

I don't follow your premise for accusing the man of being a racist who enjoyed seeing black men hanged.

You handled the situation poorly. So did the other guy, of course.

DanM

imported post

HankT wrote:
Shiawassee Mike wrote:

I don't follow your premise for accusing the man of being a racist who enjoyed seeing black men hanged.

You handled the situation poorly. So did the other guy, of course.
I follow it. He wasn't accusing the guy of being a racist. He was accusing the guy of "having a lack of respect for civil rights" due to the guy's intolerance for a fundamental exercise of the RKBA, open carry. Suchlack of respect for civil rights yesterdayled to lynchings of blacks; such lack of respect for civil rights, today and specifically with regard to the RKBA,would lead the guy to head upor be a part of a lynch mob against an open carrier.

Perhaps Mike didn't perfectly express it, but I get what he is saying. And I think his response was within acceptable bounds. Sometimes, with a$$holes, ya gotta speak in ways they understand and it ain't always pretty. If the guy was a smart a$$hole, he would have gotten Mike's point.

smoking357

Banned
imported post

HankT wrote:
Shiawassee Mike wrote:

I didn't suspect you would. Guns are the most important civil right that secures all others. It's difficult to lynch a well-armed man.

Got it?