• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Day Visit to NYC

mjf

imported post

In two weeks I'll be visiting Thomas Jefferson's nightmare, * cough cough *, I mean "wonderful" New York city.

Now, I'm going to NYC armed, yes, legally. However, I'm a little confused if NYC can have local gun laws, aside from invalidating other New Yorkers carry permits, which is state law anyways.

First off, are there restrictions on riding the subway with firearms?
What else, aside from the whole city, is gun-unfriendly? I'm assuming local government buildings are super-duper-anti-gun zones in NYC.
What attractions have metal detectors? (I'm guessing places that do still don't care if you are one of the few blessed to be legally armed there)
What else should I know?

Thanks!

WheelGun

imported post

You have to explain how you are going to go to NYC legally armed in order to answer any of the above questions. Without that, there is no way of knowing which of the situations applies to you.

WheelGun

imported post

I have been 'out of the loop' as far as NYC gun laws go, but I can give you a few generalities. I am giving this advice on the condition that: a) I am not a lawyer or currently a cop 2) yourintent is to stay 100% legal, just 'fly under the radar' while being legal.

1) I would call One Police Plaza. See what they say.

2) Subways do not have metal detectors. You would not arouse any suspicion. There are 47,000 cops in the city, many of them plainclothes, many of them off duty. Look like a cop (you are a cop) and you will be fine.

3) Same with restaurants, other hangouts. No problem.

4) Same with the parks, Central Park is fun in the summer, and not bad at night anymore.

5) Same with museums - go along Central Park East, it's called museum row.

6) Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge, and around Brooklyn Heights. Eat at the diner on Cadman Plaza. Walk along the promenade.

6) The monuments and attractions all have metal detectors, especially Empire State, Statue of Liberty, etc.

7) Airports - be extremely careful.

8) There are many Federal buildings, especially downtown. These guys do not want to know anything. They arrested a guy for having a SEARCH AND RESCUE badge in his wallet for impersonating an officer, and he was going to the federal building to accept an award for heroism!!!

DT4E31

imported post

I would NOT call 1PP and tell them anything. There are many places that have metal detectors and check for weapons. Such as the Empire State building. I believe that if you want to visit the top of the building you should let security know you are LEO, and they may let you pass with no problem. Rule of thumb when going anywhere, if its not seen, it will not be a problem. But be wary, many places you may want to sight see may have security measures. Especially government buildings. If you go around asking if its okay to carry, you will more than likely get a liberal liability standard response of NOT HERE. There must be (including city cops, feds, other agencies) 75,000 off duties walking around at some time or another, and no one knows who they are or really care as long as they are discreet.

The typical street cop will not give you a problem, but if you come to the attention of bosses, knee jerk reactions will probably cause you unnecessary frustration. Make sure you have your credentials and a contact number for your agency should they wish to verify your LE status. Police officers in NYS are exempt from Article 265 of the NYS Penal Law (weapons) Out of state officers are covered under the LE protection act of 2004 signed by George Bush in July of 2004, remember that, I am sure there are thousands of cops who have never heard of it.

mjf

imported post

I actually had the pleasure of meeting a cop in Ohio who didn't believe me when I told him of LEOSA... Not much to the story, but there are a decent number of folks who have never heard of it.

DT4E31

imported post

Just last week one of myfellow detectives, who has some 24years on the job, and spent time with narco and homicide, found out from me about national carry. I would have to guess, especially in anti gun NY, that close to 50% of LEO's are unaware of the law.

WheelGun

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
I would NOT call 1PP and tell them anything.

I said ask, not tell. Don't ID yourself if you call. If your purpose is to stay legal (as is every member of this forum) what could be the harm in asking?

Just decline toID yourselfover the phone.

DT4E31

imported post

I believe calling would be a waste of time. If you called 3 days in a row, I believe you would get 3 diferent answers. 1PP is a beaucracy, dealing with them is like dealing with DMV. There was a city academy instructor who taught recruits that only city cops can carry in the city, other cops were allowed tocarry only out of professional courtesy but were techincally carrying illegally. This sort of misinformed opinion is what you will likely get by calling 1PP.

The police commissioner initially stated the city would seize firearms carried under the LEO act, that changed quickly, but it goes to show what sort of mentality the city has towards guns.

WheelGun

imported post

DT4E31 wrote:
I believe calling would be a waste of time. If you called 3 days in a row, I believe you would get 3 diferent answers. 1PP is a beaucracy, dealing with them is like dealing with DMV. There was a city academy instructor who taught recruits that only city cops can carry in the city, other cops were allowed tocarry only out of professional courtesy but were techincally carrying illegally. This sort of misinformed opinion is what you will likely get by calling 1PP.

The police commissioner initially stated the city would seize firearms carried under the LEO act, that changed quickly, but it goes to show what sort of mentality the city has towards guns.
The above is correct. Realize that if you go to NYC and have an LEO encounter, you will be dealing with overwhelming ignorance about LEOPA.

mjf

imported post

I'm not expecting an encounter, as my sidearm will be deeply concealed.
To avoid all hassle, I guess I'll try to avoid places with metal detectors.

rtangen

imported post

I am LEO from Suffolk County NY. Security will not let you up under any condition when you are armed. You may be able to get the supervisor to hold your gun while visiting. Another example of how strict it has become. I took my boy scout troop to the statue of liberty 2 weeks ago in full boy scout uniforms. The boys ranged in age from 11 to 17. They had 2 hours of security to endour to get on to Liberty Island, remove their belts, shoes and pockets. This was kids for goodness sake, I cant believe it. Oh well that is what 9-11 brought to NYC.

mjf

imported post

As a follow-up, I survived my visit, wasn't hassled or anything like that.

Overtaxed

imported post

rtangen wrote:
I am LEO from Suffolk County NY. Security will not let you up under any condition when you are armed. You may be able to get the supervisor to hold your gun while visiting. Another example of how strict it has become. I took my boy scout troop to the statue of liberty 2 weeks ago in full boy scout uniforms. The boys ranged in age from 11 to 17. They had 2 hours of security to endour to get on to Liberty Island, remove their belts, shoes and pockets. This was kids for goodness sake, I cant believe it. Oh well that is what 9-11 brought to NYC.
And it's not like you can go to the crown, commandeer the statue and steer it into a building. Unbelievable.