• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waukesha OC letter from PD

gollbladder13

imported post

I recently moved to Waukesha and wrote a letter to the chief asking his policy specifically regarding a "man with a gun" call. He has already stated that each situation is handled individually, and that if an officer sees somebody carrying openly, they will be questioned, but nothing more unless suspicious behavior is detected.

This was the response to my inquiry regarding a call about an OCer...

I am glad to see you contacted us to determine what are policies are for "open carry". Disclaimer: This email does not serve as legal advice to you or anyone else and I recommend you and others contact an attorney for legal advice on this issue. This email is not all inclusive of all information in regards to open carry. First, there is no definition of open carry since open carry is actually the absence of law regulating the carrying of a firearm. We generally consider open carry as a person carrying a handgun in a holster on their person that is not concealed. It is legal to open carry in the City of Waukesha and the state of Wisconsin, except for legally prohibited areas. Consult your attorney for a complete list but generally this includes premises with a class B permit to serve alcohol, within 1000 feet of school grounds, in a public building, in a vehicle on a public road etc. Our response to open carry situations is based on reasonableness based on the totality of circumstances. I can not sum up in an email all possible situations that require a police response involving open carry. Much is dependent on the manner in which the incident is reported. The caller's information will play a large part in determining our response. Many factors will be used to determine whether or not we stop/detain/arrest the person who is involved in a open carry situation. Simply because open carry is legal, a person committing a crime while also exercising their legal right to open carry, will be dealt with the safety of the officers and citizens in mind. My recommendation to you in open carry situations, and otherwise, is to listen to the instructions of law enforcement officers. Thank you for your inquiry. Russell Jack Captain of Police City of Waukesha Police Dept. 1901 Delafield St. Waukesha, WI 53188 (262) 524-3768

Carry away, Waukesha-ers!

opusd2

imported post

Wow. An actual response that doesn't contain any pure threats but rather a bit of tolerance to the law he is to uphold.

It almost makes me want to make a trip down to Waukesha just to see if I can get my cousin called out to check on me and my sidearm. He's a deputy in the county and it's been ages since I have been able to talk to him and I am absolutely curious to hear his thoughts and what he's been briefed about the matter.

But again, this letter actually sounds hopeful.

smithman

imported post

I have been OCing in Waukesha for a long time. I have yet to have a LEO encounter (shows just how much people care about someone carrying a gun at the store--pretty much zilch).

Waukesha PD has known that OC is legal for a while. I had a conversation with Chief Sharrock pre-Van Hollen memo, and it was known that OC is legal.

M.P.Eckert

imported post

Dumb question...

I'm a Chicago resident with a valid FOID card. I legally own a Springfield XD (I don't keep it in city limits, yet) and want to know if OC'ing is legal for me in Wisconsin?

I'll be visiting a friend in Waukesha August 1st and would love to carry.

I've been looking on all the carry sites that give the statutes and what not but it's not specific whether the laws apply to residents, non-residents or just everyone in general. Maybe it's just my ignorance or fear of not having carried before. I would think state law applies to residents and non-residents alike.

Btw, I just received my Utah CCW permit last week :celebrate

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

M.P.Eckert wrote:
Dumb question...

I'm a Chicago resident with a valid FOID card. I legally own a Springfield XD (I don't keep it in city limits, yet) and want to know if OC'ing is legal for me in Wisconsin?

I've been looking on all the carry sites that give the statutes and what not but it's not specific whether the laws apply to residents, non-residents or just everyone in general. Maybe it's just my ignorance or fear of not having carried before. I would think state law applies to residents and non-residents alike.

carrying a handgun in the open is not against the law, whether you're a wisconsin resident or not. read this forum and the wisconsin section on the laws to learn all of them so you are not caught wearing it in a vehicle, etc.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

M.P.Eckert wrote:
Dumb question...

No question is a dumb question! lol.

Just to make it easier for you, I've attached a pamphlet you can print off and bring with you while you are carrying. Maybe even bring a few of them, so you can give them to people if they question your carrying, or just use them as a reference if somebody questions you about it.

It also includes the 5 main places you cannot carry in Wisconsin, so at least take a look at it.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I'm a Chicago resident with a valid FOID card.
This is totally not directed at you MP, but its funny to me how proud some illinois residents (friends of mine even) are to have a FOID card.

It kinda reminds me of how proud I was to ahve my Florida CCW permit until I really grasped the whole concept of having to have the governments permission to exercise my guaranteed constitutional rights.

Being able to freely open carry in wisconsin really opened my eyes to what true freedom with regard to carry is. Instead of teh facade of permits and privileges granted.

I think you'll LOVE open carrying in Wisconsin. As Thomas Jefferson once stated. It truly is exercise of teh mind:

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun[/b]. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let[/b] your[/b] gun[/b] therefore be the constant[/b] companion[/b] of your[/b] walks - Thomas Jefferson

protias

imported post

I was eating lunch with my father one Saturday after shooting at Fletcher's. We went to Burger King and while we were waiting at the end of the counter to get our food, several women and kids walked in. One woman was on the phone giving the police (I assume) a description of me. I was not looking at her, but my good hearing picked that part up, as she was sort of whispering. My father and I were there for 25 minutes and no police showed up.

Carry on!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

M.P.Eckert wrote:
Dumb question...

MP, We still have our rights intact up here, You can carry that XD proudly on your side in Wisconsin, and go into any store that sells ammunition without showing identification and illing out paperwork to get it.
Vehicle transport; It needs to be fully unloaded and in a case, and there is some argument that it needs to be out of reach too.
So, whats keeping you in that state?

M.P.Eckert

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I'm a Chicago resident with a valid FOID card.
This is totally not directed at you MP, but its funny to me how proud some illinois residents (friends of mine even) are to have a FOID card.

It kinda reminds me of how proud I was to ahve my Florida CCW permit until I really grasped the whole concept of having to have the governments permission to exercise my guaranteed constitutional rights.

Being able to freely open carry in wisconsin really opened my eyes to what true freedom with regard to carry is. Instead of teh facade of permits and privileges granted.

I think you'll LOVE open carrying in Wisconsin. As Thomas Jefferson once stated. It truly is exercise of teh mind:

A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercise, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks - Thomas Jefferson
I totally agree with you about people in Illinois but that's the crap that we have to put up with, for now. People in the Chicagoland area are so brainwashed when it comes to self defense. I've come to realize now that most of my close friends are now all gun owners. One is even an FFL.