• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT -- Mayor Knuckles office opposing nationwide CC reciprocity

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Looks like Mayor Knuckles is trying to stir up more bad sentiments about CC -- after all, those legal guns carried legally by law-abiding citizens are a major cause of gun violence, right? (Sarcasm!!)

Anyway, a friend gave me a copy of this email that was send out by the mayor's gun violence prevention coordinator. Apparently it went out to a bunch of law enforcement types across the state and region. I thought some of you might want to contact Mr. Pursley and let him know your opinions on the matter, expecially if you live in Seattle.

Charles

I wanted to update you on the status of the Concealed Carry Reciprocity
Act of 2009. As you may know, this act would require that all states
recognize the concealed carry permits from every other state in the
union regardless of how strict or lax each state’s laws are. Any
person who could qualify for a concealed carry permit in the state with
the loosest requirements would be permitted to concealed carry in your
state.

This is an issue that, if passed, will dramatically impact your city
and your state. I’ve attached a summary of the Concealed Carry
Reciprocity Act of 2009 and the effect that it will have on Washington
and Oregon if it is successful.

This act is now being proposed as an amendment (Thune amendment #1618)
to the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2010 (S.1390).
The vote on the amendment is tentatively scheduled for next Monday
afternoon. It is my understanding that Senators from around the country
are being pushed hard to attach this act to the Defense bill.

Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions.

Thank you for everything you do to keep your citizens safe,

Mark Pursley
Gun Violence Prevention Coordinator
City of Seattle
(206) 684-3788
(206) 255-0709 mobile

v

phoneguy

imported post

Boy, That scares me. Imagine any person that has been given a criminal back ground check to have a gun on there person I feel better being in New Jersey were these people can't have a gun.

compmanio365

imported post

<sarcasm>Well said, phoneguy! I sure like being an unarmed sheep in a crowd of wolves.......at least I know where I stand and I enjoy being at the complete mercy of criminals, especially those who wear a badge!</sarcasm>

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Cremator75

imported post

How ironic, since WA is one of the easiest states to get a CC permit. I guess he is looking out for all those other states by trying to keep the WA people away from them.

G20-IWB24/7

imported post

40, count 'em FOUR-ZERO, States in the Union that are "Shall-Issue" states and we still have boneheads trying to protect us from ourselves. Makes me wonderif the government is actually still "by the people and for the people." Likely not.

I don't travel much, but we do like to go to the Oregon Coast and stay in Astoria while we're there. I don't like unloading before I get to the Astoria-Megler bridge just so I don't piss off "the books." CCW reciprocity only makes sense. After-all, we let old people from Florida drive here if they have a license, right? That's more of a risk than a bunch of FBI-background-checked and fingerprinted people walking around with hidden guns, regardless of the state named on their license.

Dave Workman

imported post

You guys are all missing the point.

What the hell is a gun violence prevention coordinator for the city of Seattle?
Just what is this guy's job description?

How much public money is he being paid?
Who hired him?
What are his qualifications?
Who did he previously work for?

Perhaps if you all took the time to make that inquiry with the city council, and in particular, those members of the council who will be running as opponents this fall to Mayor Nickels.

The ball is in your court.

Charles Paul Lincoln

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

I can understand Seattle having somebody working to curb youth violence issues with all the gang shootings we have going on, but how is this related at all to legal CCW?

You're right, Dave. I wondered immediately why public funds were being used in such an obviously political manner. Yet another example of how Nickels is wasting out tax dollars.

CPL

kparker

imported post

Oops, I see Dave beat me to it hours ago (the dangers of bringing up a page, leaving your computer for several hours, then coming back and replying w/o seeing if anything more has been added in the meantime.)

So let me just extend my remarks by saying that I don't care about "gun violence", I care about "violence violence". The tool is just a tool; let's address the folks who would commit violence against others.

amlevin

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

Dave--

Since when did qualifications matter when getting a Government Job?

Look at his boss, the "College Dropout" Mayor who never held a job outside politics.

Your comments are right on. Government is like a big Cow Pie. Turn it over and expose the bottom to the light and all the bugs will scatter.

deanf

imported post

Notice how he is very careful not to take a particular position on the proposal. I'm sure he's quite familiar with exactly how far he can go without being sucessfully accused of using public money for political purposes.

Batousaii

imported post

Dave Workman wrote:

How much public money is he being paid?
Who hired him?
Who did he previously work for?

Perhaps if you all took the time to make that inquiry with the city council, and in particular, those members of the council who will be running as opponents this fall to Mayor Nickels.

The ball is in your court.
+1 Agree.

- So How much say do we have in this kinda stuff? Do we have the right to petition a change? If i recall, the government is supposed to be "of the people, By the people, for the people", so why don't "we the people" get that obviously politically driven position removed ? Can we ?? How so ??

Thoughts ???

Bat.

heresolong

imported post

SANDRAT wrote:
I say we E-mail the guy,let him know we have read this BS and how we feel.
Don't email him, email his bosses, the city council members. You could also email your local Sheriff or PD Chief and ask them to Support the Thune amendment.