• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"What's that for?"

Hammer

imported post

To set the stage, I was hiking in the north fork of the Clearwater, ID area. My wife and I stopped at a popular hike to a waterfall. There were 8-10 bikes there, all cruisers, parked in a row like they all came together.
I hiked in OC as always. Came upon the group of bikers. Said Hi and Bye. Stood weak side to, but really didn't think they presented any threat.
Some were in the parking lot when we returned.
We said Hi again, and nearly immediately, one said "What's that for? Security?"
I said, it's for personal defense. Anything that might present a threat. There are bears, cougar, and wolves in this area. What will you use against them? There was a sort of stunned silence. I reopened the conversation with some questions about their travels, direction next, and bike talk. No more about the OC'd pistol.

Next day, my bro-in-law tells me there was a cougar attack right near where we hiked. I think he was mistaken. There was one in or near Clearwater, BC, not Idaho.
Just the same, the bikers/hikers were pretty aware of the threat of wolves. Maybe loud pipes would scare them off....... :lol:

John Hardin

imported post

Hammer wrote:
Just the same, the bikers/hikers were pretty aware of the threat of wolves. Maybe loud pipes would scare them off....... :lol:
Yeah. playing the bagpipes while you hike would probably be pretty effective at keeping the bears, wolves and cougars at bay...