• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Mag Pouches

Veritas

imported post

Hopefully an easier question than the one about assault rifles (lol):

My carry is a compact S&W M&P .40. However I recently switched to loading up with full size mags (with the x-grips to cover the gap), rendering my current mag pouch insufficient.

Looking for feedback on what may be the best replacement. I'm looking for something with a paddle (I don't want to be limited to ALWAYS wearing a belt) and that offers superb mag retention (with or without flaps, doesn't matter so long as the mag holds). It should hold two mags and be capable of integrating with the X-Grips (which shouldn't be a big issue for most non-flap pouches, as the mag usually dumps in upside down, but MAY be an issue for flap closures if it's a real snug fit).

Not real concerned about what material it's constructed with... but I would like the option to disconnect the mags from the paddle so that I can shove them in my pocket (bonus if they can be separated as two separate units versus one).

On the subject (and I may have asked this before somewhere else, I don't recall), but I'm also open to laser site suggestions. I've checked out Crimson Trace, but decided against it because I'd have to replace my grip (the CT defaults to a medium size grip and I prefer the large) and because the laser unit, itself, covers my pistol's serial number. The serial number issue isn't a big one, but in the happen chance that it needs to be read, I don't want to have to disassemble the unit.

I also looked into a variety of slide rail lasers... but then I run into MAJOR issues finding a compatible holster. Even if I found a holster, it probably wouldn't feel as good as my Blackhawk SERPA (which I LOVE). I've seen laser units for Glocks that replace the recoil spring with a spring fitted with a laser. Pretty neat stuff, as it doesn't alter the exterior of the pistol. But I'll be damned if I can find one for the M&P.

These are my preferences. If anyone has suggestions, or experience, that can help... I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance!

Veritas

imported post

I know this probably isn't an option, but figured I'd as anyway "just in case":

I know there is a subtle difference between a Glock 27 recoil spring and an M&P .40c, but does anyone know if'ts possible to smith it in such a way so that the Glock spring would fit the M&P?

It's been a minute since I've field stripped a Glock... I don't remember much what the spring looks like; nor have I any clue if there are subtle differences in the recoil or size that could adversely affect the M&P, even if altering is an option.

Veritas

imported post

Well I've found one online resource (an anonymous web posted on a pistol site) that says a Glock 17's recoil spring WILL fit an M&P 9mm. Using this logic, then I suppose a G27 will fit a M&P .40c. However, I'm concerned because I *believe* the Glock recoil springs are more forgiving. I'm not sure what effect this will have on my pistol. Perhaps less recoil (which isn't a concern... I don't think my .40 kicks very hard)... or perhaps there could be an issue with chambering or ejecting?

If it's a true fit without tactical disadvantages then I have the answer to my laser sight question.

Thoughts?

autosurgeon

imported post

I cannot answer the question about the recoil springs. But as for the mag holster I would look at the Fobus or Black hawk paddles! They both make double -Doublestack Mag holsters in a paddle format!

Veritas

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I cannot answer the question about the recoil springs. But as for the mag holster I would look at the Fobus or Black hawk paddles! They both make double -Doublestack Mag holsters in a paddle format!
I've seen both online, but without the ability to try before I buy, I was hoping someone could vouch for them as fitting my criteria.

Appreciate the feedback!

autosurgeon

imported post

I have the Fobus and my brother has the Blackhawk and both are nice. The Fobus I have is two vertical slots side by side that the mags go into. The Blackhawk has the mags on an angle kindof in a V shape... I personaly like the Fobus better as it is more compact.

Veritas

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
I have the Fobus and my brother has the Blackhawk and both are nice. The Fobus I have is two vertical slots side by side that the mags go into. The Blackhawk has the mags on an angle kindof in a V shape... I personaly like the Fobus better as it is more compact.
Thanks for the feedback again.

As for the laser issue, I don't think a Glock one will work. I got a little excited when I read that the laser merely replaced the rod (not the spring), making it more likely to work. But then I learned that the on/off switch is designed exclusively for the Glock and that it protrudes from the mag lock button slot. Since the M&P doesn't share the same design, I wouldn't know where to mount the switch.

I sure wish there were more accessories for the M&P. Hopefully Lasermax develops something similar for the M&P folks. I think I'll write them an email. :)

Veritas

imported post

Email sent. Asked if they have a model for the M&P that I'm not aware of, and if not, if they plan to produce one soon. Also asked if there was a way to fit the Glock model to an M&P. Will update, in case anyone is interested, if/when I hear back from them.

T Vance

imported post

I use Blackhawk for my gun holster and I also have a Blackhawk mag pouch, both are paddle holsters. Found both on Ebay for much cheaper than the stores sold them for. I highly suggest their products.

FatboyCykes

imported post

One of the main draw backs to that type of laser, at least from my research, is how dirty the laser lens gets from being in such intimate proximity to the muzzle of the pistol. I have considered this myself for quite some time, as I definitely want a laser/flashlight for my pistol.

Before I tell you the one I'm eyeballing, let me preface it with this: I really don't think I would have any real use for a laser/light in any other setting than for home/property defense. Out in public or on the street, I really don't think that a laser or even a light in an instance when less than seconds can count is really worth the hassle of finding and paying for a custom holster that you like. Most laser - laser/light combos nowadays slide easily on and off of a pic rail with relative ease and are able to maintain their zero. My plan is to put the laser/light on at home at night, and remove it for when I carry, this is just me and my 2 pence.

This is the laser/light I want, expensive yes, but from my research, worth almost every penny.

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=48

This combo piece will fit you M&P as long as it isn't a compact model :(

Here is just the laser for M&P..

http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=34

Both pricey yes, but I've read nothing but good reviews on them :D

This is new, holsters!
http://www.viridiangreenlaser.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I have a blackhawk sportster serpa holster, and Crimson trace laser grips. I love the crimson trace laser grips and they are excellent for indoor or in any artifical light. But, I think the green laser is much better for natural light purposes. I was also looking at the viridian laser but decided to go with the crimson trace.