• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Duty to inform?

8th ID

imported post

I have recently received my cc permit. I can't find the manual from the class:cuss:

My question is if I'm CCing and cop pulls me over do I have to inform the LEO?

langzaiguy

imported post

I'm very sure that you do not have to inform a cop upon being pulled over. I've always thought that if you inform them and keep your hands in the open they'll be more lenient. I can't really prove it but it seems as though if you're forthcoming and also have a CCDW (shows you're a law abiding citizen), then they'd be less likely to ticket you.

hotrod

imported post

8th ID wrote:
I have recently received my cc permit. I can't find the manual from the class:cuss:

My question is if I'm CCing and cop pulls me over do I have to inform the LEO?
I never inform. Not obligated, so why do so. You can only open your self up for a situation of being removed from the car, treated with contempt or worse. Hand them your license, registration and proof of insurance and shut up.

hotrod

imported post

reefteach wrote:
You will have to if your cross the river just north of you.:X
Talking about the Commonwealth. If I happen to be in the land that Howard Metzenbaum ruled, I will inform as required.

KY_CCDW

imported post

You don't have to inform, but the CCDW class says you should. Its a courtesy you extend to the officer. I only inform if I am asked to get out of the car.

They can find out when they run your drivers license, it shows up on their display.

KY_CCDW

imported post

One thing is for sure..... being discourteous won't get you very far.

Even if the officer is not friendly to you, if you piss him off, he can ruin your day. You aren't likely to affect his day much either way, unless he has to take you to jail. Then there's all that paperwork, etc....

chris in va

imported post

It was in VA, but the two times I informed the officer by handing him my CC permit, he just handed it back to me and said "I don't need this".

reefteach

imported post

8th ID wrote:
Thanks for the info.

But how about this-doesn't my cc come up when they run my driver's license?

That is the problem with having a duty to inform AND a linkage of one's registration to his CCW. I am aware of multiple occasions here in OH where the person who was driving, but not armed, was submitted to LEO questioning along the lines of "Where is the gun", or "Don't you have something to tell me".

Don't worry about it in KY. It shouldn't be a problem.

Statesman

imported post

8th ID wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Yes, it does. The officer knows full well you have a CCDW, and will assume you are armed. Even if they pull someone over without such a notification, they are always cognizant of the possibility the occupant is armed.

It would be in your best interest to keep your hands in full view at all times, to let him/her know you mean him no harm. I'd keep my hands on the steering wheel, at the 10 and 2 o'clock position, with my fingers pointed upwards so there's no mistake about it, while they are getting out of their cruiser and approaching.

8th ID

imported post

Statesman wrote:
8th ID wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I'd keep my hands on the steering wheel, at the 10 and 2 o'clock position, with my fingers pointed upwards so there's no mistake about it, while they are getting out of their cruiser and approaching.
IF I do all of this, when will I have time to get my DL, Ins. and registration out? I'm serious. If I do all this while I'm driving won't the LEO be even MORE suspicious?

Many years ago, while delivering the Herald-Leader:It was 4 o'clock in the morning, no traffic and I ran a red light. 2 LEO's were on me in seconds, just as they were hitting their lights, I tossed a paper out to a customer. When I pulled over they were both yelling for me to put my hands on the wheel, etc. The one who was coming up on the right side of my car had already drawn on me. When they saw the back seat full of papers, they both rolled with laughter. It does show how on edge some LEO's can be.

Walkeraviator

Louisville, Commonwealth of Kentucky, , USA
imported post

It kinda up to you. He will know if you have a CCDW if runs your license. But, he wont know if you are armed or not, and may become nervous if he believes you are hiding the fact that you are a licensed carrier.

As stated before the best thing you can do is turn on yoru dome light, roll down your window and keep both hands visible.

I personally take the time to inform them, because my gun is within inches of my back pocket so if i go for my wallet and he sees gun, he shoots.

Fred

imported post

reefteach wrote:
8th ID wrote:
Thanks for the info.

That is the problem with having a duty to inform AND a linkage of one's registration to his CCW. I am aware of multiple occasions here in OH where the person who was driving, but not armed, was submitted to LEO questioning along the lines of "Where is the gun", or "Don't you have something to tell me".

Don't worry about it in KY. It shouldn't be a problem.
Vehicle registration and having a CCW are not linked.

Making a broad statementthat all CCW's are linked to licenses and/or registrations would be wrong. Only certain states make the connection and it is mainly because the local DMV issues the CCW license.

Those states that do not involve the DMV inthe issuance process aremore than likely not includingCCW informationon the license.

Fred

imported post

Walkeraviator wrote:
It kinda up to you. He will know if you have a CCDW if runs your license. But, he wont know if you are armed or not, and may become nervous if he believes you are hiding the fact that you are a licensed carrier.

As stated before the best thing you can do is turn on yoru dome light, roll down your window and keep both hands visible.

I personally take the time to inform them, because my gun is within inches of my back pocket so if i go for my wallet and he sees gun, he shoots.

Don't ever fear an encounter with a police officer if your carrying in a legal manner. With that said follow your local laws on duty to inform.

If you have no duty to inform where you live then don't. But don't hide the fact if asked directly or indirectly.

If reaching for your wallet or other documentation requires reaching by your weapon then let them know. If not, why volunteer more information then is asked?

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

I fear every encounter with LEO's. Carrying, not carrying, walking down the street with my dog.

I just do. And I have no reason to worry. On any one day the worst thing I could be accused of is maybe, just maybe, speeding.

I think it comes from the knowledge that cops live inside a cop bubble. Everyone who isn't a cop, isn't a cop. The culture that grows around that kind of Us vs. Them mentality, especially when your life is on the line on a daily basis, that mentality changes your view of the world.

Firemen get it to. But mostly firemen who work in cities, not so much rural volunteers and so on. But, firemen aren't armed, and firemen can't throw some cuffs on me.

Fred

imported post

Butterbone wrote:
I fear every encounter with LEO's. Carrying, not carrying, walking down the street with my dog.

I just do. And I have no reason to worry. On any one day the worst thing I could be accused of is maybe, just maybe, speeding.

I think it comes from the knowledge that cops live inside a cop bubble. Everyone who isn't a cop, isn't a cop. The culture that grows around that kind of Us vs. Them mentality, especially when your life is on the line on a daily basis, that mentality changes your view of the world.

Firemen get it to. But mostly firemen who work in cities, not so much rural volunteers and so on. But, firemen aren't armed, and firemen can't throw some cuffs on me.

Well, one thing to always remember is that a police officer irregardlessare first and foremost public servants.

I've dealt with some really good officers and some really bad officers. The unfortunate truth is that the bad actions of a select few taint the good willed effort of others.

Butterbone

Erlanger;Boone county side, Kentucky, USA
imported post

Yeah, go ahead and tell a police officer to his or her face that they are first and foremost a public servant and see where that gets ya! lol

Hell, tell the lady at the DMV that first and foremost she is a public servant, and tell me how that goes.

Fred

imported post

Butterbone wrote:
Yeah, go ahead and tell a police officer to his or her face that they are first and foremost a public servant and see where that gets ya! lol

Hell, tell the lady at the DMV that first and foremost she is a public servant, and tell me how that goes.
Ok, sure thing.