• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Opinions Of A 9mm Luger Round

wally1120

imported post

I was Just woundering why do people say so much negitive feedback on A 9mm Luger, I hear so many people saying it is a BIT() gun. So of course if you know me I asked if I could shoot them? with my old gun which was A 9mm Luger and they said no it would hurt come on now 9mm`s are supposed to be BIT%^ guns aren`t they. Others say that 9mm is know for over penetration there are 40 S&W and 45 ACP ammo that compare or move just as fast as A 9mm. If you are truly worried with velocitiy get A heavier bullet weight and the velocity will get A little slower. I also think that A 9mm Luger is just as fun to shoot as A 45 ACP and would own Another 9mm if I find another one for A good price. Oh there are people that rag on 9mm saying that they aren`t powerful enough to kill anyone with at least 1 shot but they carry A 38 special around with them are you serious A 38 spl is weaker then A 9mm.

I would like to hear what other people`s opinions are about the 9mm. I am not trying to get anyone angry at me for saying 9mm is A BIT*& gun, Just stating what others have said to me. I have no problems with A 9mm.

Michigander

imported post

A better place to put this would be in the selecting a handgun forum.

But back on topic...

DeadHorse.gif

autosurgeon

imported post

If you use a good JHP you will be just fine..

I carry a Taurus PT111 Mil Pro SS 9mm luger with 13 rounds of Federal Tactical HST 147 gr +P

Velocity around 1100 FPS they are a proven exspander even through many layers of clothing. They expand to little bigger than a nickel ... I wouldn't want to get a nickel sized hole in me!!

I also carry at times a CZ 82 in 9x18 Mak. with 13 rounds Hornady XTP's in 95 grains. About 1000 FPS and again a proven expander. They exspand to just a hair under the size of a nickel!

For both guns I carry 2 spare mags. 12 rounds each

What I know and so do others. It's more about shot placement than the size of you bullet! If you can shoot a 9mm more accuratly than a .40 or .45 than that is what you should use!

wally1120

imported post

dougwg wrote:
It's fine .....if you're a guuuurl. :p

I know manyguys that can shoot something much larger than A 9mm such as A 44 magnum. But they carry A 9mm with them. you cant get much smaller frame then most frames 9mm are on. so it makes it much easier to conceal when need be

And as autosurgeon said it is better to be able to hit something with A .22 LR - 9mm, Then to have A S&W 500 and not being able to hit the side of A barn

PDinDetroit

imported post

Nothing easier to start a "religious discussion" than to start a one caliber verses something else :cuss:

I made the mistake of looking at "one-stop shot" for my first handgun purchase. The .357 Magnum had a 96% or better OSS and I liked the idea of a Revolver instead of an Automatic. I found that I was not nearly as accurate as I had hoped with the revolver, even with .38 Special ammo. I got a Hogue Recoil Tamer Grip for it and I am much more accurate with it now (no matter ammo what I use). It is a helluva heavy gun for carry, but great for Home Defense with 158 Grain GDHP!

I have a S&W M&P 9 MM for carry now, with 124 grain GDHP. I can put multiple rounds on target very quickly and accurately.

I looked at the .40 S&W, but did not like the muzzle flip from the sharp recoil. I will probably get one someday anyways.

I want a .45 ACP or a .44 Magnum for my next handgun purchase. I shot a S&W 8 3/4 inch Barrel Revolver in .44 Magnum recently and just loved it. I saw a Desert Eagle in .44 mag, but it is out of the price range right now.

Bronson

imported post

I love my .45 and it is my first choice of carry.

That being said I also will carry a .40, .380, .38, or a .32 depending on how the stars are aligned that day. The only reason I don't carrry a 9mm is that I don't have one I'd want to carry (hopefully that will change later this year).

I'm a believer in the idea thata .22 in your pocket is better than the .44 you left at home. Carry what you are comfortable with and what you can hit your target with.

Bronson

Smoothsounds21

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
dougwg wrote:
It's fine .....if you're a guuuurl. :p

I know manyguys that can shoot something much larger than A 9mm such as A 44 magnum. But they carry A 9mm with them. you cant get much smaller frame then most frames 9mm are on. so it makes it much easier to conceal when need be

And as autosurgeon said it is better to be able to hit something with A .22 LR - 9mm, Then to have A S&W 500 and not being able to hit the side of A barn
44 Mag is a bad round for self defense, That is unless you have very special hollow points, or 3 to 4 people straight in line, as the round will go through each one and keep going. 44 mag has to much penetration to really have a great amount of knockdown power since it will go right though instead of getting trapped inside and dispersing all of its energy. Do not use it for home defense if you have other people in you house and even neighbors across the street. This is a wicked round. Will go though a deer front to back and keep going any day. It may do some damage but with extreme shock air freedom rounds, staggered with golden saber 9mm is all I use. 9mm works just fine and gives you more shots Not that I need them :D

Michigander

imported post

Over penetration is a very serious concern, but I definitely don't think that always means less energy is transferred. Here is what happens when a water jug gets shot by a 44 magnum. Big splash. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8uc6iuxpx4

With a revolver you can have any kind of nasty mushrooming ammo that you want, because feeding isn't a concern. A flying ashtray that doubles or triples its diameter when it hits its target will do more devastation at 1400 fps than at 800 fps, but again, you have to factor in what may lie beyond your target when chosing the velocity of carry ammo.

I personally carry a .45 ACP with FMJ ammo. I have concluded that this combo offers the best performance with good penetration and less likely over penetration, decent power transfer, and great reliability. And no, I am not knocking those of you who like 9's or other calibers, because I seriously don't care to take part in the 37 millionth internet caliber debate.

steve

imported post

I love my 9mm even tho it's a giant Lego gun (hi-point) that weighs a ton, but for 90 bucks who can complain?

It does the job as well as my .45 and truth be told id rather carry my p22 over my 9 or 45.

ghostrider

imported post

I started typing, and after 1.5 pages decided that, “no one wants to read this much, it needs simplifying.” So, with that in mind, here is the short version:

If all I could shoot was FMJ, then I’d want a .45. If modern SD ammo is available, then I consider carrying FMJ for SD a poor and irresponsible choice. Although risk is lower with the .45, JHP in the modern SD loads is still a better choice, so if you can get it, and can afford it, then you should carry it. Not everyone can afford or find modern SD ammo, and if that’s the case, I’m of the opinion that FMJ at the ready on the hip is better than an empty gun on the dresser back home. Lots of people “poo poo” JHP and carry FMJ, and if that’s what they want to do, then while I respect their right to make their own decisions, I do hope that such a decision doesn’t have any negative repercussions.

Everything is a trade off. I prefer 9mm, but in the case of the Glock 26, and G27, there is only one round difference. I see giving up one round for a slight increase in energy acceptable. However, it may not be the same for someone else who would rather have the more controllable 9mm for follow up shots.

No one should feel under gunned with a 9mm and modern SD loads. Beyond that, only you can decide what’s best for you.

Modern SD loads are not just, "JHP with fancy marketing". They are usually loaded hotter for better performance, and can have better materials and quality control. Carry the SD loads if at all possible.

Beyond that:

Carry a gun your comfortable with, learn to run the gun you got, and carry with confidence.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Ah yes.. the never ending caliber debate/perpetration of yet another myth that anything smaller than (insert caliber of choice here) will only make the bad guy mad silliness.....

Any caliber is a good caliber if the shooter can reliably hit what needs to be hit. And it's already been said several times in this discussion that what ever caliber a person is best with is the best caliber for that person.

I'd like to add one thing that I've found many folks omit when giving caliber size advice...........

For self defense purposes, ....you know the average civilian without intensive training,... the reaction under stress will be to fire the gun just as fast as the trigger can be pulled. Hence, when choosing which gun/caliber combination care should be taken to fire that combination at the range just as fast as the trigger can be pulled......... and then see how accurate the shooter was. If more than one round missed center of mass (a paper plate will do for a target) at 21 feet (yes.. up close) then the caliber is too large or the gun is too small physically and recoil is messing up the accuracy.

There really are people who are deadly accurate rapid fire with a .22 but miss way too much with larger calibers. And only hits count.. small hits are better than big misses.

By the way... I'm good with a 9 mm but not as good with a .40cal. That bit of difference in recoil gives an unacceptable difference in rapid fire accuracy.... for me. Others may experience different results.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

+1

I opted for the .40sw because I can shoot it well enough. Even though others have said that a .45ACP is "easier" in terms of recoil, my accuracy with one tends to be unreliable.