• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I need a safety course certificate

AGust82

imported post

I'm getting a Florida carry permit and I need a copy of my NRA course completion certificate...which is long lost. Does anyone know of someone who will give me a new one based on me being a CT permit holder allready? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee.

Edward Peruta

imported post

What year did you get your first permit?

If you applied for your initial permit locally, the Police Department that took your original application should have a copy of your NRA certification in their file.

Check with them and see if they kept your orignal documents.

Lon

imported post

Contact the instructor who conducted your course in the first place.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
What year did you get your first permit?

If you applied for your initial permit locally, the Police Department that took your original application should have a copy of your NRA certification in their file.

Check with them and see if they kept your orignal documents.

OK so today I walk into the Stratford Police department to TRY and get a copy of my NRA safety course certificate.
After about 30 minutes of repeatedly explaining (multiple people) that I wanted it so that I could apply for another states non resident permit. They finally check the computer. First it comes back with no records with me in them. I tell them that I have lived here for MANY years and first got my permit in Stratford.

10 minutes later they finally find me in the computer system!!
I get excited!!!
Soon I will have a copy of the original certificate in my hand!!!!
Then they say it was in 1993, and after 10 years we destroy all hard copy documents, so no certificate for me!!
They suggest contacting the NRA...I bet that will take weeks just to get them to reply and then tell me how they destroy such documents also!!!

Lon

imported post

Repeating myself ...

Contact the instructor from whom you took the course in the first place.

Lon

imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
Lon wrote:
Repeating myself ...

Contact the instructor from whom you took the course in the first place.

Like I know who that was?!?!?!? It was 1993!!!!

Well then, I guess you are out of luck until you hear from the NRA - or you can take the course over again if you are in a big hurry.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

So since I am not the Original Poster of this thread and actually this has been an experiment for me to see if I could actually get a copy of my original certificate.

This is what I have found out:

The Stratford Police Department: Destroy the hard copy records after 10 years. Since I took the course in 1993 they have no copy, but buried deep in their computer system they were able to find me and give me the year.

The NRA: I left a message for someone (Chris) to call me back (no details of what I needed were left in the message , just that I needed some information, along with my name, ph# and NRA Member #)...4 hrs later (NO CALL) so I called back, Chris picked right up! He told me that even if I knew the instructors name it wouldn't do him any good because the NRA doesn't actually keep records of the people that pass their safety course. They just keep a total number of people trained!! He also did offer to hook me up with a place in my area to take the course again. I declined since I have a valid permit and do not wish to spend $100 to take training that I already know, remember and practice on a daily basis.

Bridgeport Shooting Range: I took my training there so I figured that I would give them a call. Told them what I needed and that I was trained there. They told me that was 2 owners ago so that they would have no idea who was giving courses there in 1993, and that they couldn't help.

CT DPS Special Licensing & Firearms: I figured 1 last try so I call DPS, I explain that I wanted a copy of my of my certificate. Very quickly tells that they do not have that type of information and suggests that I contact my local PD. Then says good-bye and hangs up before I even get a chance to say thank you anyway!!!

Conclusion:

So after a 2 days of looking into getting a copy of my NRA handgun safety certificate, and a few phone calls...This experiment comes to an end.

It doesn't exist any more!!

Or just maybe 1 copy does exist, buried in the files of some old NRA trainer.
Probably in a cardboard box in his basement or garage!! Hmmmm:?

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

AGust82 wrote:
I'm getting a Florida carry permit and I need a copy of my NRA course completion certificate...which is long lost. Does anyone know of someone who will give me a new one based on me being a CT permit holder allready? I am willing to pay a reasonable fee.
I have been told by Bridgeport Shooting Range that a copy of your permit is all you need, since that certifies that you passed the course in CT.

Hope that this helps!!

AGust82

imported post

THE LOVER wrote:
AGust82 wrote:
I have been told by Bridgeport Shooting Range that a copy of your permit is all you need, since that certifies that you passed the course in CT.

Hope that this helps!!
A guy on CTShooting.com told me the same thing. I hope that's true, I'm going to give it a try.

PRO2ND

imported post

Give Florida a call. 850-245-5691. They are nice to deal with. I called a few years back with a question before I sent mine in. A hunter safety course would work as well I'm sure. (Not 100% sure).

Just a Guy

imported post

This may be some bad news... I'm doing the same thing for an out of state carry permit for Maine. I sent in my 1994 NRA safety course certificate as well as copy of my current carry permit for CT. I was rejected because my safety training was over 5 years old & Maine does not have reciprocity with CT. So I need to find someone who might give an abbreviated (and discounted) refresher course to satisfy the requirements of Maine.

I don't know if Florida has the same standard, but I will soon - they're next.

Lenny Benedetto

imported post

I still need to get my prints done before I can apply to Fl. Since my certificate is long gone I will only have a copy of my Ct permit to send them.

I will call Fl before I send the paperwork out to make sure that the copy of my permit will do.

If it wont do, then I will contact the CCDL, we have a certified NRA instructor as one of our officers.

Lenny
CCDL
Founding Member