• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My trip to seattle and Open Carry

eraseallhope

imported post

So this past Tuesday-Thursday i spent being a tourist with my mother, cousin, and fiance in downtown seattle, our hotel was right across from the Space Needle...

Their are LOTS of homeless in your city im sorry... they love to be rude, and solicit you for your money even after the fact you keep walking pass them with no attention paid in their direction.

Anyways back to my OC events....

I walked and rode the free bus everywhere i went.. some places included The Farmers Market and "The First Starbucks"

Which in both cases i walked right past, and even along side for a few minutes with a pair of officers on foot.

I honestly dont even think they noticed me walking right along side them crossing the street with a loaded springfield armory XD holstered and two spare mags on the opisite side of my belt.

I then continued to walk down to the National Park Museum, sorry i forget the name of it... when i came in contact with a federal officer

He informed me thati had just walked on and pass a federal building propertyand politely asked me to for my I.D

I told him i was sorry an unaware that the sidewalk i was on was federal property... He just looked at my California I.D checked out my name, probably saw i was with 3 defenceless woman and told me he was aware OC was legal, he just had to do his job, and gave me back my I.D and told me to be safe.

I continued to the National Park Museum, where i carried inside and looked around for at least 45 minutes and chatted with the park rangers inside.. No problems there.

Even had a bike security ride up on us outside while we were looking at our tourist map and helped us find the direction we were looking for.

I passed by a few cop cars while walking, a few bike cops... and even two sargents sitting at a outside coffee shop... Nothing but smiles if anything at all.

Only thing that did kind of worry me was a younger guy around my age (22/23ish) spotted me in the mall where the monorail goes back to the space needle, I had been in the mall shopping, even ate lunch for at least 30 to 40 minutes before he saw me in a store and told me that he has a cpl, but having a gun in that mall happend to be illegal.. he advised i cover it up...I told him i was a tourist and did not have a cpl forthe state.. he told me its ok to walk around outsidejust dont attempt to ride the monorail as it was illegal also.

He also advised me that some people may even attempt to run up and try to take my firearm in the part of town i happend to be in... Kind of worried me.. but not too much as i was fairly confident i could defend myself if i was forced to do so. I also have a level III retention holster, so im pretty sure the adverage homless crack head or criminal wouldnt be able to just slide my weapon right out of its holster without me being able to deflect the attack..

All in All... nice city, nice people, besides the homeless... it was a great OC experience hopefully it stays that way.... FOREVER

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

not sure about the sidewalk thing since the city has to maintain it but who knows. but i think the klondike museum is considered federal property even though run by the nps

j2l3

imported post

Side walk is not federal property and he should have left you alone.

It's not illegal to carry in the mall, against mall policy, yes, but unless a rep from the mall asks you to leave you are fine.

The monorail is also good to go, as it is city property and they can't prohibit you and your weapon.

The guy talking to you about this is mistaken and needs to come see us to get educated.

Not a single open carrier has had someone run up and try to take thier weapon here. Just doesn't happen. Could it happen? I suppose so... doesn't though..

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

but since he does not have a cpl he could be arrested for being on the monorail as it is considered a motorized vehicle

j2l3

imported post

Ahhhh good point.... completely missed that...though doubtful an arrest would happen... especially being from out of state... more likely told to stay off.... or ticketed, as it's a misdemeanor....

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

but they could confiscate it and then he'd have a record. not sure how that affects your gun possession rights

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

but lets see out of state, gets arrested spends the weekend in jail. has to come up for trial or just plead guilty. . its no win either way you look at it

j2l3

imported post

Not likely... more likely a citation and go on your way.... possibly gun confiscation, possibly not,but the likelyhood of arrest and jail is low... donfrontational attitude will just about guarantee arrest though...

Tawnos

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
but since he does not have a cpl he could be arrested for being on the monorail as it is considered a motorized vehicle
Or he could have released the mag prior to boarding and not carried +1, thus not breaking any law.

FMCDH

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
Its only illegal if its loaded.

eraseallhope
has been notified of this before and he knows the drill to unload before embarking upon vehicles.

Remember, hes been here asking questions for this trip for almost a month now. :)

kenshin

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
He also said he rode the bus around all day. Ooops. :uhoh:

ETA. Thanks for the update. FMCDH, I do remember seeing those questions now.

shad0wfax

imported post

j2l3 wrote:
Ahhhh good point.... completely missed that... though doubtful an arrest would happen... especially being from out of state... more likely told to stay off....  or ticketed, as it's a misdemeanor....

No, it's a Gross Misdemeanor which is criminal in nature and can involve jail time.

FunkTrooper

imported post

Man, that conceal carry guy must live in fear of everything if he is worried about hypothetical scenarios that there is no record of ever happening (not including police). I'll bet if that guy's weapon ever comes unconcealed he'll look like a deer in headlights and be constantly looking over his shoulder for a meth head to jump him and take his gun. I suppose "only CC" is a different mentality then those of us who OC and CC. Sorry it just really makes me mad when these people who are so afraid spread there message of fear to everyone else, like telling someone a thing is Illegal when they really don't know or claiming crazys will jump you at every block.

amlevin

imported post

eraseallhope---

In your original post you mentioned coming in contact with or observing several Police Officers in close proximity. By your description I surmise that there were 8-10 (possibly more) that either walked near you, spoke with you, or you saw close by.

All I can say is that sure is a large number to encounter in one day. I've spent many, many days in Seattle and often never seen an officer. Is it possible that you were being watched???? Or??????