• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

looking at a new gun

xforce6

imported post

i was looking at the high-points just because i neep something before aug. in a bigger cal. like 40 or 45 i am also going to be ocing it as well as using it this bear season in the up as im bow hunting bear:shock:first time using a bow what is everyones opinions on them? or should i just go with a xd in .45acp and put it on layaway??

joe_robi

imported post

hi points are a very reliable gun, but most do not use it as there carry weapon due to its boat anchor like characteristics.

Generaldet

President, CLSD, Inc., Oxford, Michigan, USA
imported post

I would recommend trying both out first. Some gun stores that have ranges usually have rental options. That would most likely make the decision for you.

The main thing is don't just settle for a handgun because of money or time constraints. You will be much more pleased in the long run if you buy the one you really want, even if it costs more and you have to wait a little longer for it. Personally, I have never shot either of them so I can't say one way or the other.

On the other hand I can see wanting to have one to take bear hunting. lol

Good luck, if you get a rug this year make sure to post a pic! Hopefully next year I will be in a little better position to go, if I manage to draw a tag.

Michigander

imported post

Congratulations on getting a bear tag.

Hi Points are a pretty simple deal. Accurate, reliable, cheap, big, and heavy. They can be CC'd if you put your mind to it, and definitely OC'd. The biggest problem with OCing them, I think, is the lack of available retention holsters.

xforce6

imported post

ok i was looking to oc it as i dont have a cpl and im 20 so cant get one for a couple more months but i can buy off a private person and my mom went and got a purchase permit and shes buying whatever one i want and im "buying" it off her but anyways yea 3rd period bear in newberry with a bow so im thinking 40 or 45 although i was told at bass pro ther taurus 9mm would do the job and it was rather in expensive

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

drew68 wrote:
Does this mean that you guys don't think the passive retention from the fobus holsters is good enough for open carry?

I think the OCers here who advocate and insist upon retention holsters (e.g., Serpa) are right on the money.

All those copswalking aroundon dutyOCing with active retention holsters? There's a reason for that...

Michigander

imported post

drew68 wrote:
Does this mean that you guys don't think the passive retention from the fobus holsters is good enough for open carry?
First of all, there is no known case where a non uniformed person came up to a non uniformed person OCing and took his gun successfully. Uniformed people have been killed or injured and had their guns stolen, and certainly many here like myself have been disarmed by idiots with badges. So realistically, it's not much of a concern. Especially if you are extremely careful and mindful of your surroundings.

However, it's the things that can happen .004% of the time that can make you 100% dead. For that reason, I do advocate Level 2 or higher retention holsters.

autosurgeon

imported post

The Fobus HP2 fits the C9 and the 4500 mag holster fits the mags.

Now it is a passive rentention holster but if you do not draw it correctly it will not come out so that adds a level of security. IE a grab from the rear will not work on this holster as if you rock the gun to the rear and try to draw it jams in the holster and you can literally pick me up by it!

steve

imported post

joe_robi wrote:
hi points are a very reliable gun, but most do not use it as there carry weapon due to its boat anchor like characteristics.

LOL

that is no joke, I have the 9mm and .45 from hi-point. Never had a jam one on either nor have they ever been cleaned, not to mention the lifetime warranty on them...

but DAMN are they heavy

northofnowhere

Campaign Veteran
imported post

My first gun not many years ago was a HiPoint .380. Still shoot it, still think of it as good for what it was designed for, but I do not typically carry it. It is big, ugly, and um, not as sexy as my other pieces. They are an affordable, good, reliable, easy to maintain gun for self defense. If you don't care what it feels like or looks like or care more about how little it takes out of your pocket, go for it :)

dukenukum

imported post

I open carry and conceal carry my Hi-Point .45 all the time it has never failed me , yes get a good holster this can save much grief . :)