• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun shows -- private transfer question. . .

arby

imported post

Hi there, y'all~

We are a'movin' from Kalifornia to Washington and had a few gun-related questions:

-Is there any required government record of sale of firearms at Washington gun shows?

-Must private firearms sales go thru a 'licensed gun dealer?'

-Must rifles be registered?

Thanks so much for your help!
arby <><

bcp

imported post

arby wrote:
Hi there, y'all~

We are a'movin' from Kalifornia to Washington and had a few gun-related questions:

-Is there any required government record of sale of firearms at Washington gun shows?

Only if buying from a dealer. Not for private sales.

No, if buyer and seller are both WA residents.

No, and pistols don't need to be registered, either.

arby <><

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

arby wrote:
Hi there, y'all~

Kewl, "normal" Kalifornians are always welcome up here.

Nope

Nope
Nope. Suggest first thing you do up here when you get settled is rush to your nearest gun store, buy an AK-47 and as many hi cap mags as you can afford. Put a folding stock on it, and any other "evil features" you desire. If you can afford a .50 BMG rifle instead I am super jealous.
arby <><

arby

imported post

Thanks, everyone! That is great:D.

Kalifornia just lost a few more taxpayers . . . :p We are sooo looking forward to the move.

arby<><

Batousaii

imported post

I am a Kalifornia transplant too, Uncle Sam dropped me off here and i absolutely love it !!! - this is where i should have been all along. I wish i had found this forum long time ago.

-- WARING~! ... The urge to be a "good dog" via Kal-Programming is strong, it took me a while to realise some of my freedom. Breaking the chains can be scary.. but oh-so fun! <humor>

:celebrateWelcome to WA.

:cool:Bat

arby

imported post

OK, for clarification . . . if I go to a gun store any gun purchased would have to be registered and a permit must be shown -- but not if done through a private party?

Thanks again for the warm welcome!
arby<><

compmanio365

imported post

Not registered. Just the instant NICS check and as long as you pass, you are good. (If you don't have a valid CPL for this state, there is a 3 day wait on handguns. CPL is $60, no test, and good for 5 years)

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

No if you go to a gun store you give them money and they give you a gun. If you don't have a valid carry permit yet there is a 5 day waiting period on handguns per federal law.

j2l3

imported post

No permit required to buy from a gun store. Just a waiting period if you don't have the CPL.

None of the applies to private sales.

antispam540

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
No if you go to a gun store you give them money and they give you a gun. If you don't have a valid carry permit yet there is a 5 day waiting period on handguns per federal law.
Not sure about that being a federal law. In Georgia, if your NICS check was clean, all they needed was a copy of your drivers license and you were on your way with a gun. There was no waiting period.