• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Younger Generation

TexasNative

imported post

LEO, my collective response to all your statements:

18-year-olds are allowed by law (and by their recognized adulthood) to carry arms to defend themselves and others. The rest is just dross.

One thing I quickly learned as a leader in the Navy: if I treated my troops as responsible adults, with rare exception that's how they behaved. The ones who didn't meet that standard were dealt with swiftly and as harshly as allowed by the UCMJ. My Skippers rarely objected to my recommendations for punishment. I think they secretly salivated over the thought of handing out a Big Chicken Dinner.

We as individuals don't get to decide which 18-year-olds (and up) are sufficiently responsible to carry a handgun, because we as a society (in Virginia, at least) have decided that enough of them are responsible enough not to take away their right to defend themselves.

So what's your approach, then, LEO? If you think they're all (or enough of them) are wet-behind-the-ears snot-nosed kids who shouldn't be out of the sight of a responsible adult if they're holding anything as dangerous as a K-Bar, should we change the law and take their guns away from them?

~ Boyd

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Icetera wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
longwatch wrote:
The law says 18 and legally entitled to possess a firearm, that's where the conversation ends for me.
Who said I was asking about minimum age. :p

Yata hey
The cut-off age is around the time you begin forgetting your firearm at home :p

I am 26 and have been carrying for 2 years. I have only been open carrying for the past 6 months or so, but I have notnoticed any negative reactions due to me being a bit younger than the average armed citizen.
I always remember the ones that are at home. :quirky

Gave my son his own pistol on his 18th birthday and a special CC gun when he turned 21.

Yata hey

richarcm

imported post

I agree. There is a minimum age for a reason. After that point....who cares? If I'm 18 and you don't like that I have a gun.....good for you. Nobody is required to like that I have a gun and I don't expect for them to. My really close friend hates that I carry a gun. He tries to convince me of how stupid it is and I just ask him why he thinks I'm so concerned with how he feels about me carrying? Some people simply don't like anyone to have a gun. But its easier to say something about you if you are young. Because you are the type that might go shoot up a school or something. But then again if you are old you might go shoot up a museum so its pretty pointless.

SoldierMedic

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

richarcm wrote:
But its easier to say something about you if you are young.  Because you are the type that might go shoot up a school or something.  But then again if you are old you might go shoot up a museum so its pretty pointless. 

Haha, thats a good point :lol: So I guess Skid and Grapeshot are going to have to give up their firearms too. Can't trust those older types... you never know what they'll do! :dude:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SoldierMedic wrote:
Haha, thats a good point :lol: So I guess Skid and Grapeshot are going to have to give up their firearms too. Can't trust those older types... you never know what they'll do! :dude:
Never pick a fight with an old man he'll just liable to..........:shock:

There's a reason that your mama told you to respect your elders. :lol:

Yata hey

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

richarcm wrote:
I agree. There is a minimum age for a reason. After that point....who cares? If I'm 18 and you don't like that I have a gun.....good for you. Nobody is required to like that I have a gun and I don't expect for them to. My really close friend hates that I carry a gun. He tries to convince me of how stupid it is and I just ask him why he thinks I'm so concerned with how he feels about me carrying? Some people simply don't like anyone to have a gun. But its easier to say something about you if you are young. Because you are the type that might go shoot up a school or something. But then again if you are old you might go shoot up a museum so its pretty pointless.
I agree with you Richard.

BTW, the "Kids ain't no good anymore" attitude isn't new. It was like that in the 50's, it was especially so in the 60's when I was a teenager and in college, same in the 70's 80's and so on.
The only thing that changes are the faces/:lol:

229's description of the troops also applies to 20% of the police officers on the streets (No cite just my opinion and observation).

LEO 229

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
LEO, my collective response to all your statements:

18-year-olds are allowed by law (and by their recognized adulthood) to carry arms to defend themselves and others. The rest is just dross.

One thing I quickly learned as a leader in the Navy: if I treated my troops as responsible adults, with rare exception that's how they behaved. The ones who didn't meet that standard were dealt with swiftly and as harshly as allowed by the UCMJ. My Skippers rarely objected to my recommendations for punishment. I think they secretly salivated over the thought of handing out a Big Chicken Dinner.

We as individuals don't get to decide which 18-year-olds (and up) are sufficiently responsible to carry a handgun, because we as a society (in Virginia, at least) have decided that enough of them are responsible enough not to take away their right to defend themselves.

So what's your approach, then, LEO? If you think they're all (or enough of them) are wet-behind-the-ears snot-nosed kids who shouldn't be out of the sight of a responsible adult if they're holding anything as dangerous as a K-Bar, should we change the law and take their guns away from them?

~ Boyd

I take issue with the prior statement that just because someone is in the military they "somehow" are given more credit to"defend" themselves and carry firearms.

Poppycock!

None of my posts were in regard to age. Please go back and look again and stop reading into it what is not there. It was always about the military.

There is no perfect age. It really depends on the person and maturity level. But the law is 18 and that is that. Youcannot draft a law referencing maturity.I have known a great many younger adults that I would not trust with a firearm.

TexasNative

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
I have known a great many younger adults that I would not trust with a firearm.
My point is that you don't get to make that call, meaning it doesn't matter whether or not you trust them. None of us have a say in that, beyond what's in the law.

~ Boyd

va_tazdad

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
SoldierMedic wrote:
Never pick a fight with an old man he'll just liable to..........:shock:

There's a reason that your mama told you to respect your elders. :lol:

Yata hey

Always remember, Old age and treachery will overcome youth and vitality every time! ;)

MirkoCrocop

imported post

off topic i think, butI would just like to point out that an older person reaching the the last years of their life can be way more dangerous with firearms than a young'un. True story about my great great grandfather. During the great depression frank campbell of the clan campbell which lived in maine was ahunting and fishing guide and used his own boat to operate that business. Well because it was hard times during the great depression his business wasnt exactly booming.

Because of this he depended on that boat through fishing and hunting to feed his family who otherwise would be SOL without it, since their income was not enough dueto the depression. Up until this point my grandfather had always paid his taxes. He was reaching the twilight years of his life being in his late seventies or so by that point.

Well since he just didnt have the money to pay the taxes on his boat he arrived at his boat one day to find who I think I was told was a game warden he knew very well or something and another goverment official preparing to take his boat away because he hadnt paid all the taxes on the boat which I believe he had already owned for a long time. Well my great grandfather was faced with a loseonly situation

he couldnt pay thetaxes so if they took the boat away the family(which was your typical bigfamily during that time)would starve as it was their lively hood and only way of getting food in rural maine, and lets face it jobs were scarce.

With shotgun in his hand he told them he was an old man and had always paid all his taxes up until that point andthatthe campbellfamily weregood citizens andhad served the country inthe great war bravelyand if they took the boat away they were killing his family. He then said as soon as he was back on his feet he would pay all the taxes he owed, but if they take the boat he was going to kill them and anyone else who triedbecause his family is not going to starve to death and that he only had 5 or 6 six years left to live so a life sentence is nothing to him. So which is it going to be he said. Trying to take my boat that feeds my family and is our livelyhood and die in the process, or forget this encounter and allow me to paythe taxes I oweon the boat when I can.

and so the story goes that they let him be and did the right thing and my great grandfather eventually paid what he owed to the government. Back then I suppose in places like rural maine country folk stuck closer together than city guys and maybe that is why the situation resolved itself.

This story was told to me by my late grandfather who I know would never lie about something like this.

Im not in any way condoning holding a goverment official at gunpoint, Im merely making a point that senior citizens with firearms can be much more dangerous and potent than younguns with firearms when the chips are down whats a 5 year life sentence compared to a 60 year one?

LEO 229

imported post

TexasNative wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
My point is that you don't get to make that call, meaning it doesn't matter whether or not you trust them. None of us have a say in that, beyond what's in the law.

~ Boyd
It is not a call.. it is an opinion based on fact.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
TexasNative wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

~ Boyd
It is not a call.. it is an opinion based on fact.
And opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got at least one. :lol:

Not disqualifying myself either. :)

Yata hey

LEO 229

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
You are correct!!

I am oneand have one... So that gives my opinion more credit, right?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
You are correct!!

I am oneand have one... So that gives my opinion more credit, right?
Tain't necessarily so. It increases the volume but not necessarily the weight. :p

Yata hey

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Often times it is a collective of the blind leading the blind collaborating and picking the best option in the absence of someone in charge.
Sounds like modern day law enforcement, doesn't it? :lol:

And before you go off on one of your famous tirades...... in my first false arrest in 1997 while I was a sworn deputy sheriff in Virginia, a blind sergeant was leading his blind rookie. Just one error after another. It didn't go from bad to worse, it went from bad to comical. They both got sued, one got fired.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
Tain't necessarily so. It increases the volume but not necessarily the weight. :p

Yata hey
I see.... :lol:
So I thought you would.

I raise my glass to you and your youth. :lol:

Yata hey

Sheriff

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
We certainly agree on this!They dress in uniforms and have shiny badges! :D