• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minimum Age to OC

rescue743

imported post

Ok so I am 20 years old about to be 21 in Sept. I am having a problem because I carry a Hi-Point 9mm and I am beign told that I have to be 21. I argued with a city cop for 30 min after him bringing out the KRS and me showing him it says nothing about being 21 only under the age of 18. I asked a couple of deputies because I am friends with them and they said 21. I told them to look at their KRS book and one thinks I am right that I could OC but that doenst mean I could not be prosecuted for it. The other deputy doesn't know now. So... Can I get any help. I have studied the KRS front to back on the hand guns and everywhere else.

rescue743

imported post

September 15. I want to prove them wrong but still continue my carrying of my weapon. I not an immature 20 year old that just wants to gun tote. I am going to EKU majoring in Fire & Safety Admin. I know that is where all of the officers go for the academy. This is just trying my paitence proving my point. If it says you are a state researcher does that mean its you interest or profession to do such?

Statesman

imported post

rescue743 wrote:
I have showed them that. I dont think they like having me proving them wrong.
Perhaps they would rather have a judge prove them wrong? If they violate your rights, you can get a lawyer, and file a civil suit against them in court, and get damages awarded to you.

KY_CCDW

imported post

From what I've read you are allowed to open carry when you are 18. But IF they do arrest you, they will take your firearm, and you may have a time getting it back. If they think you are playing with them, they'll make you go to court to get a judge to order its return. And when you get it back, it may not be in as good a shape as when you left it. Don't take that like-new-in-the-box $1200 Kimber!

You can win the battle but still lose the war. I think that kind of thing sucks, but I hear that it still happens a lot.

rescue743

imported post

I had a city cop who I know tell me to take his gun and see how far i get. He said he would throw me to the ground and arrest me for possesion of a minor. I told him and he had his KRS book out and showed him where it was under 18 and he still told me it was 21 and he would take me to jail.

langzaiguy

imported post

Wow, that's definitely infuriating. Mostly because you showed him the KRS and the officer still believes his simple opinion carries more authority than KY law and the KY constitution. Don't let anyone still your rights. Carry on!

rescue743

imported post

I thank you all for your help. I have asked a few other cops from different counties that I know and they have told me it was 18. So I am going to ask an attorney thatI know just to have proof from an attorney. To take it a step further since I am an EKU student and go to school where all of Ky's officers are trained, I am going to call them up ask them and have them fax a written paper over to me and hand it to the officers that told me 21 and walk away with my gun on my side unless they arrest me first.

rescue743

imported post

Ok I done my calling and wanted to point out that it is very sad when the Dept. Of Criminal Justice Training Center does not even know the OC laws. They refered me to the Attorney General who still didnt know. So they refered me to the Ky State Police Headquarters who gave me their law divison and told me i was correct but to ask my county attorney.

rescue743

imported post

Had an interesting day today, the cop asked me if i had my gun on me and i told him it was in the truck. He said the next time he seen it on my side he would arrest me and charge me with possession ofa minor. He said that come from his sargent and the Commonwealth attorney. I went and spoke with the Commonwealth attorney and he said this was the first time that it has been brought up. (The Cop lied!!!) well he looked at the KRS and told me i was right. He said it would be interesting to see if i was arrested for it what the judge would do. Another cop from Richmond Ky (a buddie of mine) told me that there was nothing they could do. He said let them arrest me then fill suit. Does anyone know of any case studies out there? I have tried everywhere to look some up.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

About 16 weeks after conception, after that the belt wouldn't fit the life support
equipment.:cool: Your carry time may vary.......

Just make sure you came by the gun in a legal manner that you can prove in court.
Don't have to prove it to the flunkies, but will help if it gets to the point of judge
deciding. Sadly you still need to prove your not guilty not the other way around.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

SlackwareRobert wrote:
Just make sure you came by the gun in a legal manner that you can prove in court.
I don't see any reason the Defendant has to assert anything about his actions or the gun - the state must prove the elements of the non-existant offense of carrying at age 18.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

What planet are you from?
Guns, drugs, and taxes are exempt from the normal rules of law.
And with our new justice it will get much worse.

DA: "Your honor, 'wink' he can't buy a gun, he is underage",
crooked judge: " Yep, good enough for me, Guilty"
poor sap: "But that only applies to FFL purchases."
crooked judge: " I see no evidence a FFL didn't sell you the gun.
I've already ruled, take him away."

Yes the state should have to prove the case, but in the real world
you better be able to prove they are not only wrong, but couldn't
cite a single violation of anything.
If the system was so good and just, then why all the internal affairs agencies?
The system is admitting that they are the crooks.

If you are lucky enough to live in a spying ok zone, try this.
Stand on a corner with a video camera, and make a movie
that has your car running a red light behind you. Then see if
even that much proof you could not have committed the offense
will get the ticket they mail you tossed.
I seem to recall they can't prosecute you for the crimes of your father either. :X

PFC Helms

imported post

Rescue. I have OC'd for two years now since I was 19. I have had my share of LEO run-in's just look at my post to see those. but besides while I was in Louisville where i was told i couldn't carry without a permit and it had to be concealed. it has never really been the issue of can i carry one time a cop i was talking to complimented me on my weapon (glock 22) and she stated the only thing i need to do was get night sights for it which i agreed. those cops are just trying to force what they believe on you. bot otherwise it is completely legal as of age 18.

Happy Oc'ing