• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to Green Lake for a Family Reunion, What do I need to know?

Neplusultra

imported post

My limited understanding is this:

Must transport secured (gun safe all right?), unloaded (best to have mag stored separately?) and not within reach (does this matter if it's in a gun safe?).

I may OC anywhere other than state parks, publicly owned/leased buildings (both state and local?), and where alcohol is sold for on-premises consumption (not grocery stores selling beer for off-premises consumption).

Even though there is state preemption localities may have their own restrictions if on the books before 1995 (what a minefield that is for a traveler if true!)

Am I right about this or are there other things I need to know (school zones I know about)?

Thanks in advance, been ~40 years since my last time in Wisconsin!

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

WI Preemption (66.049) All local ordinances are null & void now no matter when the localwas written. The wording in 66.049 is cloudy because of the dates, but basically all local ordinances can do now isregulate is the discharge of a firearm. Nothing more!

Transport unloaded in a case that is specifically made to hold a gun, (wrapping it a burlap sack is a no-go) A "Gun-sock", and a hard case are fine, even a soft zippered case is fineas long as all closures are closed fully.
No magazine in the gun, & No round in the chamber or cylinder of the gun. It does not matter where the ammunition is, as long as it is not in the case. Where you really got to watch yourself is in Illinois if you travel through there.

"Out of reach"? Well, lots of debate on that one for WI and alot of misinformation about it toodue to some case-law (WI V. Alloy in particular) where a guy was acquitted of many other charges including murder, but they got him on concealing even though his gun was in a case, but no word if the gun was loaded or not. I suspect he had a loaded gun in a case and that is why he was found guilty.
To be absolutely safe, put the cased firearm in the trunk of the vehicle or out of arms reach.

Although I regularly travel with myunloaded properly cased firearms in the cab of my truck, according to the case law I mentioned it is questionable if legal or not.

If you are concerned, put a trigger lock on it. I see no way that could be used against you.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Taken from another thread...

1. NO CC, period.

2. NO firearmes within 1000' of a school (having knowlege of said school) except unloaded and encased. It is lawful to OC on PRIVATE PROPERTY (business parking lots) within the 1000' GFSZ. (SS 948.605)

3. No handguns in taverns or restaurants that sell alcohol for CONSUMPTION.

4. No OC/CC in a vehicle. Firearm must be unloaded, encased, and in the farthest "out of reach" location in passenger compartment. DO NOT PLACE HANDGUN AND CASE IN GLOVE BOX OR OTHER "CONCEALED" LOCATION!.

5. No firearms in public buildings (courthouses, city hall, etc.)

Most cities and counties have a ban on firearms in parks. This is generally accepted to be preempted by state statute but has not been pressed in the courts (yet). OC in a park at your own risk. You won't (shouldn't) be arrested and/or charged with DC any longer in WI. If stopped, turn on your digital voice recorder, and ask if you are free to leave (setting stage for lawful Terry stop).

I'll attach the OC pamphlet for WI I made with the help of others...can print it off and bring it with you if you want.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Nutczak wrote:
It does not matter where the ammunition is, as long as it is not in the case.
I respectfully disagree. This is not stated in the statute. You can have the ammunition in the case as long as the gun is not loaded. Such as a magazine in the case alongside the hand gun. Make sure nothing is in the chamber.

167.31 SAFEGUARDS
“vehicle” has the meaning given for “motor vehicle” in s. 29.001(57).
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may
place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a
motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded
or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying
case.

Keeping the Ammunition someplace other than where your fire arm is could cost you valuable time and much more in a life or death situation.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
Nutczak wrote:
It does not matter where the ammunition is, as long as it is not in the case.
I respectfully disagree. This is not stated in the statute. You can have the ammunition in the case as long as the gun is not loaded. Such as a magazine in the case alongside the hand gun. Make sure nothing is in the chamber.

167.31 SAFEGUARDS
“vehicle” has the meaning given for “motor vehicle” in s. 29.001(57).
(2) PROHIBITIONS; MOTORBOATS AND VEHICLES; HIGHWAYS AND
ROADWAYS. (a) Except as provided in sub. (4), no person may
place, possess or transport a firearm, bow or crossbow in or on a
motorboat with the motor running, unless the firearm is unloaded
or unless the bow or crossbow is unstrung or is enclosed in a carrying
case.

Keeping the Ammunition someplace other than where your fire arm is could cost you valuable time and much more in a life or death situation.
I miss-typed, I meant in the gun.
it was supposed to say "not in the gun, even if the chamber is empty"

JG

imported post

Wasnt there a federal law recently passed allowing firearms in federal parks? Would this be Corp. of Engineer property etc? Maybe Im thinking state parks here in Ark.

Is there someone out there that answer this for me?

protias

imported post

JG wrote:
Wasnt there a federal law recently passed allowing firearms in federal parks? Would this be Corp. of Engineer property etc? Maybe Im thinking state parks here in Ark.

Yes, federal parks are okay, but states still rule over state parks, and cities, city parks.

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

protias wrote:
JG wrote:

Yes, federal parks are okay, but states still rule over state parks, and cities, city parks.
If by federal you mean National Parks...you can't carry in them until February 2010. But I'm not sure if that is only CC or OC too.

Neplusultra

imported post

logan wrote:
protias wrote:
JG wrote:

If by federal you mean National Parks...you can't carry in them until February 2010. But I'm not sure if that is only CC or OC too.
First I want to thank all for your help with Wisconsin carry laws. Second be careful, IIRC the federal laws will mimic state law about state parks so it would still be illegal in WI if I understand the law correctly.

Thanks again, looking forward to the trip!