• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling Through Illinois, possibly stopping to visit a relative

Neplusultra

imported post

I assume I am relegated to transporting my weapon unloaded and in my gun safe. Is there anything I should know while in the great state of Lincoln while in the possession of a handgun? Am I even allowed to have it if I make a stop to visit my aunt while passing through?

Neplusultra

imported post

jayspapa wrote:
What area of Illinois are you going to travel ??
Near/through Chicago on our way to Wisconsin and then southside suburbs (South Holland) for the visit on the way back. We may also visit another relative, not sure where they live exactly, somewhere near or in Chicago.

lockman

State Researcher
imported post

Short answer: Unloaded, cased and not immediately accessible.

Currently under Illinois Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon, AUUW, You commit a felony if you possess an uncased firearm (loaded or unloaded) on any land, property or dwellings that YOU do not own.

No private property exceptions for self defense, only established shooting ranges, lawful hunting and shows or locations for the lawful commerce and display of firearms. (summary).

Cook County is the only county that has enforced this law without first violating the basic UUW statute. Unfortunately it sounds like Cook County is where you plan to stop.

junglebob

imported post

Lockman probably has the best advice for you, you need to be in compliance with any local ordinances regarding transport and since you visiting in the Chicago area and they are the most likely to have firearm ordinances unloaded encased and not immediately accessible. The Illinois State Police website http://www.isp.state.il.us has information on transporting a firearm in Illinois. For those with an Illinois Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card the not immediately accessible won't apply, if there is no local ordinance requiring it. A lobbyist for the NRA claims that it applies to non-residents as well, even though they don't have a FOID card since they are only issued to residents. The ISP website doesn't seem to agree with this. Since LEOs in Illinois often don't know the transportation laws even for residents there is the posibility of being arrested when transporting a firearm that is immediately accessible even if encased and unloaded. However having a loaded magazine in the case with an unloaded handgun and immediately accessible is not unlawful for FOID card holders and is what I normally do. Immediately accessible for me is often in an Uncle Mikes Sidekick fanny pack on my belt.

I've been transporting my handgun as I described for years. Don't live anywhere near Chicago, but have never been stopped by a LEO and questioned about it. Your results may vary. Any home rule community may have different transportation requirements than state law.

AaronS

imported post

lockman wrote:
Short answer: Unloaded, cased and not immediately accessible.

Currently under Illinois Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon, AUUW, You commit a felony if you possess an uncased firearm (loaded or unloaded) on any land, property or dwellings that YOU do not own.

No private property exceptions for self defense, only established shooting ranges, lawful hunting and shows or locations for the lawful commerce and display of firearms. (summary).

Cook County is the only county that has enforced this law without first violating the basic UUW statute. Unfortunately it sounds like Cook County is where you plan to stop.

That is why I cuta greatIll. 4x4 park from my list this year. I just am not welcome in the state. Not even if I keep it at the hotel. It's a joke. And I used to live in the state (great fishing I tell ya).

Hey, Wisconsin worked on the same lines for a long time (150 years). Our start was one passed bill, 66.0409. It (for the most part), told us that we can carry one way or the other, by law (for protection). Conceild carry is baned, so open carry is all we have, NOW (no CCW permit in our state)... Just have to keep up the fight. With all the other states with carry of some kind (well Cali.), it is just a matter of time for Ill. to be forced into new carry laws. After that, you can fight (just like me), to get ride of the 1,000 foot school zones!;)