• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Request advice on newby handgun

DiRT

imported post

Haven't had a center fire handgun in years and plan to get one soon. Last one I fired was a S/W .44 but it was years ago. Thinking on a semi and was about to get a Glock 17 but lack of a safety made me pause.
Wonder if y'all might advise on decent models for a rookie. OC to start but will apply for a clp later.

Appreciate any advice and thanks for patience with a rookie.

dt

Hammer

imported post

If you read the Glock literature, Gaston claims 3 safeties. I don't know that I can completely agree with that, but I have a couple Glocks, and have made the transition from 1911A1 pattern sidearms. The key is to, as one poster on here put it, "Keep your booger hook out of the fire house"
The gun WILL NOT go off unless the trigger is pressed. I have fussed and putzed with mine in every conceivable way to see if it might drop the hammer without my "permission"
I have not found a way for that to happen.
I now carry one of my Glocks either OC or CC with confidence that if I do my part, it will do its part.
There are aftermarket devices you can buy if you want a "safety". It blocks the trigger so it won't go backward.
Ask around, try one. Once you get used to a 1/2" trigger pull, it's a good gun.

compmanio365

imported post

I am not fond of Glock, but I have always loved the 1911 style of handgun. They are functionally very different. I also like a single action trigger on my OC gun, double action on my CC gun if no safety (my Kel Tec PF-9). Go on out here to one of the local gun ranges and rent a couple guns, see which fits you best and then go with the one you like the most and can afford.

Shoot the biggest caliber you can comfortably shoot and afford. If you are afraid of the recoil, you won't practice as much, and won't be as willing to pull the trigger if needed. 9mm is a great compromise between power, ammo capacity and recoil. I find a .45 for me is comfortable to shoot and I just carry more ammo to compensate for the magazine capacity. Depends on your tolerance for recoil and if you have more mass to absorb it. I'm a bigger guy.

Just some things to consider when picking out a handgun....your gun should be YOUR gun. One you are innately comfortable with and will practice with enough to become proficient. If the day comes when you need to draw your weapon, God forbid, you need it to be muscle memory, because your mind at that point will be anything but calm and clear.

DiRT

imported post

Thanks for that. I understand the best safety is to keep it locked away. The Glock seems to be plenty safe so long as no finger on the trigger. Wonder what is as good as a Glock but also has a trigger lock.
I know that if somebody gets hold of any gun they can find the safety and switch it.
I'll visit the Spokane gun show tomorrow and look around.

DiRT

imported post

Thanks. I've been following this forum for a bit but still haven't figured out the last of the acronym. OCDO = Open Carry Discussion O?

Vandal

imported post

Make sure you handle a Glock before you buy one. There are many superior firearms out on the market right now interms of accuracy, function, fit and how they fit the human hand. Some ideas are is the 1911, M&P, XD, the FNP polymer guns, HK, Sig and I could keep going. Don't buy into the Kool-Aid of Gaston Glock.

Go hit up the Post Falls Cabela's to look for a new gun. The guys that work at their gun counter are great. I blew 2 hours there today just talking with them as we handled and discussed different guns.

DiRT

imported post

Not totally hung on the Glock. Also looking at the Smith & Wesson M&P 40SW. There's a Ruger that looks decent but dealer specs mean diddley compared to what actual people say.

warhammerjr

imported post

I have had both a Glock and an M&P. Don't jump on the Glock band wagon just because everyone says they are the gun to have.

Now that being said, I loved my Glock. It was the perfect fit for my hand and I could always depend on it. The M&P was a good gun as well but I have small hands and it just didn't fit right.

Bottom line: Try out a bunch of guns and figure out which one is a good fit for you.
But you are definitely headed in a good direction.

Mad Pick

imported post

Yup, try a bunch out at a range that rents pistols. I think you'll be surprised at how different each gun feels, and you'll probably have strong feelings about which ones you like and dislike.

And get the CPL right now -- don't wait. It will take a month to actually receive it, and it will help you when buying the gun, and it will allow you to carry your gun in the car. (Remember that a CPL is required to carry a loaded pistol in the car, even if you are "open carrying.")

mb419

imported post

Glocks are nice, I have a 22 and I carry a 27. I like the grip angle better than the govt. mod. I don't carry with a round chambered though. I figure that it's no big thing to rack it when I need it.My Glockshave been 100% reliable though. I've put 5000 rounds through my 22 and have yet to have a malfunction. Not as many through the 27, but no malf. with it either.You should count on your carry gun to work every time.

If the safety issue bothers you,try the XD models. They have a grip safety like the govt. mod.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

Take a look at the Springfield XD-m, I spent a few weeks comparing Glocks to the XD-m and I found the XD-m far superior in many aspects for my needs. It also has a Grip-Safety on top of the "Glock-like" trigger safety which may make you feel more comfortable carrying with one in the pipe. I did not like the grip safety idea at first because of my experience shooting a 1911, I had to make a conscience effort to depress it properly.But withthe XD-mI do not even realize it is there when firing.

The XD-m also has interchangeable backstraps for a custom fit without needing to pay for custom parts or get custom work done on the gun. I chose .40 S&W and have a 16+1 capacity their 9mm holds a few more. The gun comes with 2 magazines, a speed loader, dual magazine holster, a paddle holster and a case suitable for airline travel. The included paddle holster has decent retention and is adjustable for the amount of retention by adjusting an allen screw with the included wrench.

One other benefit of the .40 XD-m is the ability to change calibers to .357 sig or 9mmsimply by purchasing a drop-in aftermarket barrel and recoil spring for wayless than $200.00 each barrel.

Colors, I chose OD-green frame with a black slide, you can get green, tan, or black frames with silver or black slides. Lots of aftermarket goodies are out there for the XD-m with more showing up weekly.

Glocks are great guns, but they are not for everyone. If you do choose Glock, pay attention to what generation it is and research it's idiosyncrasies first. Not all glock's with the samemodel numbers are the same, there were changes along the way that cause different add-ons to not work on some.

Have fun making your decision, I know I did.

Batousaii

imported post

I am a big fan of the 1911 (mine is a combat commander, i prefer it's balance). If you feel .45 is a little stiff, and prefer a 9mm I might suggest you look into CZ. I have a CZ 75B, very smooth double action, incredibly reliable, been a carry gun most of it's life. I recently upgraded it's spring set (it's had 12 rounds in the 15 round mags most of it's 15 year life and was still fully functional and reliable when i replaced all the springs).

:arrow:Some other things to consider, revolver vs auto.

:question:are you good at clearing jams in a hurry and under stress ? can you change mags smooth with your eyes closed ? Etc. there are several factors people don't consider with an auto.

Revolvers have less ammo, but have the benefit of being very simple to operate, and save for mechanical breakage are much more reliable, and usually capable of a stronger round too (357mag vs. .45). I seen a primer setback jamm a revolver once in all my many years shooting, compaired to lots of jams on autos. Clearing fast is key to survival.

We use a 357mag revolver as our house (night) gun, and my carry gun is the 1911 combat commander. I figure at night in the house is no time for a jam or an underpowered strike. The 357mag gives me the immediate advantage, if i need more rounds the .45 is usually still close by, or my wife may have taken cover and grabbed Sparky (the 1911).

--- things to think about, food for thought is good :)

Bat :cool:

Cremator75

imported post

+1 on the XD.

The XDm is nice but too big for my hands. I went with the regular XD because it just "fit" my hands better. I have smaller hands and the M&P was a little big even with the small back strap. The Glock to me just never felt right.

kenny31

imported post

DiRT,

Glocks are either hit or miss it seems. I'm a huge fan and I only own Glocks and revolvers. YMMV of course. I'm not sure if you ever make it down to Lewiston but if you do, I'd recommend stopping at the Black Sheep store to handle a few different Glocks. They have stacks of them in their safe that they'll be happy to show. You won't be able to buy from them, of course, but it's still a great place to see what you like. With regards to the Glock 17, here's a great deal. I'm sitting as we speak trying to talk myself out of buying one. This guy is great to deal with. There's also many other types of pistols here as well including XDs, Sigs, and Berettas.

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html