• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairly recent stats

gollbladder13

imported post

I was browsing around and found this site. I'm sure it got posted before, but I didn't see it. Interesting info. I wonder how getting a CCW or less-regulated OC would drop a bunch of the numbers...

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/wicrime.htm

Scroll down about half way to "per 100,000 residents". The numbers just keep rising...

Why don't the politicians get it?

ETA: quick quote from the link...

Quote:

In the year 2000 Wisconsin had an estimated population of 5,363,675 which ranked the state 18th in population. For that year the State of Wisconsin had a total Crime Index of 3,209.1 reported incidents per 100,000 people. This ranked the state as having the 37th highest total Crime Index. For Violent Crime Wisconsin had a reported incident rate of 236.8 per 100,000 people. This ranked the state as having the 45th highest occurrence for Violent Crime among the states. For crimes against Property, the state had a reported incident rate of 2,972.3 per 100,000 people, which ranked as the state 35th highest. Also in the year 2000 Wisconsin had 3.2 Murders per 100,000 people, ranking the state as having the 33rd highest rate for Murder. Wisconsin’s 21.7 reported Forced Rapes per 100,000 people, ranked the state 46th highest. For Robbery, per 100,000 people, Wisconsin’s rate was 84.6 which ranked the state as having the 30th highest for Robbery. The state also had 127.3 Aggravated Assaults for every 100,000 people, which indexed the state as having the 44th highest position for this crime among the states. For every 100,000 people there were 469.5 Burglaries, which ranks Wisconsin as having the 42nd highest standing among the states. Larceny - Theft were reported 2,229.9 times per hundred thousand people in Wisconsin which standing is the 32nd highest among the states. Vehicle Theft occurred 272.9 times per 100,000 people, which fixed the state as having the 36th highest for vehicle theft among the states.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

John R. Lott, Jr. has made just such an evaluation in More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0226493644/ref=nosim/?tag=johnrlotttrip-20

The book ignited much controversy with our enemies squealing the loudest, this telling me that Dr. Lott hit his mark squarely. The counter-attacks were personal and professional. Some of his professional defense was to make his statistical methods and data accessible to the public, lay and professional.

The book is easy reading but following the analysis is not for the faint hearted and not for the unlettered.

Grass Roots Gun Rights South Carolina bought a copy of More Guns, Less Crime for each South Carolina legislator. Dr. Lott is a comfortable and responsive correspondent on topics of his interest, here http://johnrlott.blogspot.com/

http://www.johnlott.org/

[size="+1"]Instructions for Obtaining John R. Lott's Raw Data[/size]
Most of this data involves STATA 7.0 data sets. The reason for using this is that the county level data involves a much larger set of control variables than can readily be handled by other statistical packages. The data sets can be obtained by clicking on the following links which will take you to the download page:
[*]Chapter 6: MVPS Paper Data [*]Chapters 7 and 8: Safe Storage, Gun Shows, Assault Weapons Data [*]Appendix 1: Crime Data 77-00 Data [*]Appendix 2: Magazine Sales Data [*]2002 Survey on Defensive Gun Use Data [*]General Discussion of the 1997 and 2002 Surveys [*]Debate_over_Stanford_Law_Review [*]Confirming More Guns, Less Crime [*]All of the Above Sections

GlocksRfun

imported post

I heard Mr. Lott on Coast To Coast AM about a month ago. I was wondering how to get him to speak at the Madison rally that never happened. I missed the part about him being an author. He made the best argumentfor people defending themselves that I've ever heard. I'm gonna have to get his book. Thanks or bringing this up. And the crime data thing is great also, DC has decreased in population since '60, crazy. All good stuff.