• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ideas for a MI OC FAQ??

autosurgeon

imported post

Hey guys and gals!!

If you have things that you were looking for when you started OCing or things that you think a NEW OC person MUST know before striding out into the world of MI OC... please post them plus any Cites that go with them.

I am going to try and rework the Info thread and break it down into more easily digested parts.

Also a FAQ was suggested so I am going to start with that right now while I wait to hear back about my ideas on dividing up the info thread and making it more organized and easier to find information in!

Please post your topic, data and cites in that order!

390JOE

Laingsburg, for the time right now., Michigan, USA
imported post

slightly off topic, but can some one try to clean up the open carry story's thread so that the people can see thats its ok to open carry, and they can learn better. i understand that the discussions are a good thing, but it gets kinda long winded so to speak trying to wade through all that.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Q: I don't have a CPL what places are off limits for me to possess a firearm?

A:

Q: How old do you have to be to possess a handgun in Michigan?

A:

Q: Can I drink alcoholic beverages and still possess a loaded firearm?

A:

Q: Is opencarry disturbing the peace or disorderly conduct?

A:

Q: Do I have to show ID to a LEO if I'm open Carrying?

A:

Q: Can Iaudio/video record a LEO interaction?

A:

Q: Where is the statute That states Open Carry is legal?

A:

More to come.

T Vance

imported post

Q: If I do not have a CPL how must I transport a gun in my car? What if I have a truck/SUV/Car that does not have a trunk?

A:

Q: If I am stopped while OCing by an officer while on foot, what information must provide to him/her?

A:

Q: If I am stopped while OCing by an officer while driving my car/motorcycle (possibly because someone called the police on me for OCing on foot, then got into my car/truck and was pulled over later) for open carrying what information must I provide to him/her?

A:

PDinDetroit

imported post

Q: I have a CPL and have been told that I gave up my right to OC. Is this true?

A:

Q: Is there a specific type of holster that I must use for OC to not be considered CC?

A:

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:

Just so you know when deciding to answer this question...

Yes you can drink alcoholic beverages but it is just NOT a good idea. Firearms and alcohol DO NOT MIX!But you can legally blow a .02 BACif you are carrying concealed, but if you are open carrying you can legally blow a .08 BAC (this was told to me and Cabman by Lt. Jim Shaw of the Jackson State Police Post #17 and I do have it on tape). Regarless, if you are going drink, leave your handgun at home and locked up!!!

T Vance

imported post

Q: If I am asked to leave a store/restaurant because they don't like the fact that I am carrying a gun do I have to leave even though I am carrying legally?

A:

Q: I have heard that if you have a CPL you can open carry into places that you wouldn't normally be able to carry concealed with a CPL. Is this true?

A:

Q: Can I CC or OC into a police station?

A:

Q: If I am OCing and am stopped by the police for OCing and they ask for my gun do I have to give it to them?

A:

Q: If I feel like I was harrassed by a police officer for OCing what actions can take against them?

A:

Q: If I am stopped by a police officer for OCing,what is the best to handle the situation?

A:

Q: If I get arrested and taken to jail for OCing what should I do?

A:

Q: If another citizen or business ownerharrases me about OCing, what is the best to handle the situation?

A:

Q: Are there any places that are completely off limits to CCing/OCing?

A:

Q: My local cityhas an ordiance against carrying firearms in the city limits and at certain parks. Can they enforce this?

A:

Q:Can I CC or OC onstate land, national forest, or federal land in Michigan?

A:

Leader

imported post

Q: I heard that open carry was legal in Michigan. Does that mean I can just carry anyplace as long as it is in the open?

A:

First warning that comes to MY mind is about vehicle carry.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

T Vance wrote:
Venator wrote:

Just so you know when deciding to answer this question...

Yes you can drink alcoholic beverages but it is just NOT a good idea. Firearms and alcohol DO NOT MIX! But you can legally blow a .02 BAC if you are carrying concealed, but if you are open carrying you can legally blow a .08 BAC (this was told to me and Cabman by Lt. Jim Shaw of the Jackson State Police Post #17 and I do have it on tape). Regarless, if you are going drink, leave your handgun at home and locked up!!!

Yep, the numbers you give are correct in regards to "legal", and I agree w/ the "leave guns at home" statement.