• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT - thought they were told to stop this

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

was in pioneer square this evening and notice a pair of beat cops walking and one of then was carrying his baton like a club in his hand. i know its been a while but i thought spd was told that is intimidating and unprofessional and they needed to stop that. he didnt carry it holstered only in his hand with it towards the ground whenever he was taliking to people i noticed his hands tensing on it

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

regular people from who i saw him talking to i was inside he was outside the window and he did have the ring to stow it on his belt

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
was in pioneer square this evening and notice a pair of beat cops walking and one of then was carrying his baton like a club in his hand. i know its been a while but i thought spd was told that is intimidating and unprofessional and they needed to stop that. he didnt carry it holstered only in his hand with it towards the ground whenever he was taliking to people i noticed his hands tensing on it

Good opportunity for a picture to be taken with a cell phone camera.

If SPD is not supposed to do that, then it would be good to report it to someone in the department. Maybe the beat cop just forgot and needs a little reminder.

FMCDH

imported post

That act is commonly referred to in security professional circles as one of the following..

Nervous Ned Syndrome: The unconscious need to play with something or have something in hand to keep the nerves in check by focusing at least part of a persons mind on an inanimate object. It allows the individual to route feelings of fear or uncertainty one direction, and concentrate the logical mind in another. Its a bad habit to say the least, because police and security personnel are most likely to play with something on or from their utility belt.

This can happen to anyone however, and OCers need to be especially mindful of this unconscious act because of the items we keep on our belt and on our person. :?

Badass Bill Syndrome: The very conscious act of carrying an "item of perceived power" in the hand. This can be anything from a clipboard or a coffee cup to a baton or a rifle. This is normally caused by a feeling of inadequacy that the individual tries to make up for by getting people to focus their attention on the object they are holding instead of at them and any facial or body expressions that may give away what they are really feeling.

Speaking from experience, it takes conscious training to break these habits. Neither are conductive when dealing with the public at large. I once told a Seattle PD officer to put his baton away when talking with me during one of my few encounters while OCing down town. We were about 90 seconds into the "conversation" and I interrupted them with the none too polite request. He seemed more surprised by the realization that he had it in his hand than he did by my abrupt request. :quirky