• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTEMPTED e check by a security guard......

brad9point0

imported post

First I wanted to say thanks to all of you for the world of knowledge I have gained from all of your insightful post and answers to my questions, and now on to the story.

I have been having problems with UOC and my apartment complex, security and the local PD... so last night I am walking my dogs and the new security guard comes up to me and starts asking a bunch of questions and then tried to initiate an "e" check! I told him to go to (a piece of real estate far down south with extremely hot weather). WTF?! I manage a security company... if ANY of my guards EVER did anything that stupid I would fire them in half of a second. This company needs to teach its "guards" that they are just that! I see this is funny and comical but what if I didn't know any better and handed over my nice new shiny pistol over to this clown and he drops/damages it or takes it? Yeah so thats my rant! Have a great weekend or what ever is left of it!

619P95

imported post

I am new here to the forums but from what i know,

1) He has NO right as he is a Private Citizen just like you, 12031(e) check is only able to be done by LEOs.

2) I would have taken down his name and company and called in and spoken to his Supervisor.

610P95

Edit for Typo

brad9point0

imported post

I know the company, they are a joke... they hire wanna be guards that feel all special because they carry a gun... so do I... soon I will be a certified instructor to certify guards to carry and I feel no more special or better then anyone out there. I really hate security guards that take the job way too seriously! As soon as my lease is up I AM OUT! this place is a total joke.

oh and the guard company... is run from a house... only address is a PO BOX and from what I can tell its a ragged operation, I have already filed complaints with the states bureau that covers this industry. It will take 6-12 months unfortunately but hell I am in no hurry lol

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

619P95 wrote:

1) He has NO right as he is a Private Citizen just like you, 12031(e) check is only able to be done by LEOs.
Can somebody jog my memory? Would a private apratment complex grounds be covered by the ban on loaded carry even if inside an incorporated area?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

Mike wrote:
619P95 wrote:

Can somebody jog my memory? Would a private apratment complex grounds be covered by the ban on loaded carry even if inside an incorporated area?
While a private security guard can't conduct an (e) check, I believe police could inside incorporated city limits even on private property- Overturf renders private property into a "public place" if it is accessable by the public. (People v. Overturf , 64 Cal.App.3d Supp. 1)

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Yeah, I would have told him to go pound sand too. Next time he brings it up I'd remind him that unlike LEO's where ignorance IS a defense (qualified immunity) he has no such protection and will be held accountable for his action as an individual and not as an agent of the state.

NightOwl

imported post

While I'm sure this isn't the case, it's private property, and if you agree to it the guard can. Did you agree to it in your lease?

However, barring the most extreme stretch of the imagination I just mentioned, that guard is a moron.

brad9point0

imported post

Yeah it's more funny than anything I only posted this for the comedical purpose. I didn't know that when I gave them one of the handy dandy tri fold brochures that they would instantly morph in to police officers lol

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
Mike wrote:
619P95 wrote:

While a private security guard can't conduct an (e) check, I believe police could inside incorporated city limits even on private property- Overturf renders private property into a "public place" if it is accessable by the public. (People v. Overturf , 64 Cal.App.3d Supp. 1)
OK, but would the the typical grounds of an apratment complex be a public place under Overturf? I used to live in Kingswood Village Marina (apartment complex) in Marina del Rey, CA - the buildings, parking garage,and grounds were NOT open to the general public - gates and locks were employed to keep this so - seems to me then that my complex was not a public place.

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

OMG! I'm late to the Mall Ninja internet meme. LMAO! In hindsight I think the movie Paul Blart: Mall Cop was based on this meme.

Thanks for pointing me to that thread, I laughed a lot!

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

NightOwl wrote:
While I'm sure this isn't the case, it's private property, and if you agree to it the guard can. Did you agree to it in your lease?
Actually, the guard probably can NOT legally perform a 12031(e) check.

If the firearm were actually loaded, the gaurd would then be in possession of a loaded weapon. The BSIS Security Guard Firearm Permit applies to only one caliber of firearm (or at least it did when I had one some years ago). If brad9point's handgun happened to be any other caliber than the one listed on the guard's card, it would be illegal for the guard to possess it.

Further, the guard has no legal authority to perform a search. Of course, restricted private property may require a search, but they can't do it on a whim.

NEVER surrender your rights to a security guard. They have far less power then they pretend to have. I wouldn't even stop to talk to one if they approached me. Let them call the cops if they think you're up to no good. And if they lay hands on you, press charges for battery and false imprisonment, and then sue the security company and the property owner that hired the company.

brokenbarrel

imported post

brad9point0 wrote:
First I wanted to say thanks to all of you for the world of knowledge I have gained from all of your insightful post and answers to my questions, and now on to the story.

I have been having problems with UOC and my apartment complex, security and the local PD... so last night I am walking my dogs and the new security guard comes up to me and starts asking a bunch of questions and then tried to initiate an "e" check! I told him to go to (a piece of real estate far down south with extremely hot weather). WTF?! I manage a security company... if ANY of my guards EVER did anything that stupid I would fire them in half of a second. This company needs to teach its "guards" that they are just that! I see this is funny and comical but what if I didn't know any better and handed over my nice new shiny pistol over to this clown and he drops/damages it or takes it? Yeah so thats my rant! Have a great weekend or what ever is left of it!
a security officer is just that there to secure,and if he believes your carrying loaded he can call local pd-now listen-to make sure(e check) so that he is complying with the contract to secure that property.You do NOT own the apartment building,correct?

brad9point0

imported post

Correct, just a tenant.... for now.... as soon as my lease is up ill be out of this dump! I still cannot believe the nerve of this guy.... I should have engaged him more and just challenged him for the fun of it! I had my voice recorder on the whole time, would have been nice if he talked himself in to a corner such as calling himself a LEO etc.

delta246

imported post

damm renta cops! i laugh at security when they they try to act like cops, drive crown vics with lots of antennas and wanabee lights, i just lawl at them.
i know most say its a job, but its a humiliating job

Old Timer

imported post

Why, in your opinion, is being a Security Officer "humiliating?" I employ about 60 armed, professional Security Officers most of whom are either former military or former Peace Officers. We help support the Department of Defense by providing security fora defense contractor who builds weaponry critical to our national defense.

My people are well trained, well uniformed, well armed, well educated, and very well paid. What is so humiliating about that?

They also know how to write complete sentences and spell simple works correctly. :)

nukechaser

imported post

I believe, Old Timer, that he finds his own line of work humiliating. His own profile lists "armed guard/security" as his job. He must not like it very much since he "lawls" at them.

For the uninitiated or those without teenagers in the house "lawls" is derived from instant messaging shorthand. LOL is laughing out loud. It has been bastardized into a verb, hence to "LAWLS" at someone is to laugh out loud at them.

A quick check of his posts confirms that grammar and sentence structure are not his forte or style, which is fine, but can lead to a misunderstanding of what he might have meant.

I believe it was an attempt at self-deprecating humor, that's all, and not an attack on those who perform the job professionally. I am sure he wouldn't denigrate the job he does himself and only meant it as a joke.

Decoligny

imported post

nukechaser wrote:
I believe, Old Timer, that he finds his own line of work humiliating. His own profile lists "armed guard/security" as his job. He must not like it very much since he "lawls" at them.

For the uninitiated or those without teenagers in the house "lawls" is derived from instant messaging shorthand. LOL is laughing out loud. It has been bastardized into a verb, hence to "LAWLS" at someone is to laugh out loud at them.

A quick check of his posts confirms that grammar and sentence structure are not his forte or style, which is fine, but can lead to a misunderstanding of what he might have meant.

I believe it was an attempt at self-deprecating humor, that's all, and not an attack on those who perform the job professionally. I am sure he wouldn't denigrate the job he does himself and only meant it as a joke.

I would also like to point out, he is not laughing out loud at all security guards. He specifically stated: "i laugh at security when they they try to act like cops, drive crown vics with lots of antennas and wanabee lights,..."

So if they are a cop wannabe, but couldn't meet the requirements, and couldn't let go of "the dream", then they play act at being a "real" cop, by trying to exercise authority that they don't have.

Cartman.jpg

Old Timer

imported post

nukechaser wrote:
I have come to the conclusion I am too old for the internet! I haven't had teenagers at home for several decades. My oldest grandkids are adults with families of their own. :)
It must either be a function of my age or my education, but I still believe words mean things, and so do commas, periods, and capital letters. Not to mention nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, participles, and conjunctives. :)

If that is, indeed, the case, I stand corrected. :)

Of the very qualified people who work for me I regularly reinforce that they are serving a very important function, their jobs are very important, and they are very important. The more I, and the other company executives, respect them, the more they respect themselves, and the more they respect themselves the more they respect their jobs. And, the more they respect their jobs the more pride they take in them and therefore are more likely to practice a higher level of diligence in their daily performance.

Maybe it is just me. I take pride in what I do, and insist those who work for me do the same. I started 45 years ago in the military. Then as a Peace Officer. Now as a corporate manager. I have done very well over the years and have always made it my practice to like what I do and do what I like. I am of the opinion that life is about 10% circumstances and 90% how we respond to those circumstances. Contentment is a choice. :)

Sorry for the rambling. Just an old man with not enough to do. :D
[/quote]