• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ATTEMPTED e check by a security guard......

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was at Whole Foods when the security guard asked me if I have a permit for my legally carried XD.

I told him I did not need one and he said "OK, someone said something so I am just here to act like I am doing something about it."

I myself thought about being security, and might just do that. I hear the job prospects are increasing and can confirm that I have seen guards appear at businesses that have not had them for years. . . Figure the only problem is if I get convicted, then I might not be able to be a guard or even carry a firearm. . . That would be a waste of time.

I try to show a little respect for guards, but when they start crossing those lines I simply ignore them.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I was at Whole Foods when the security guard asked me if I have a permit for my legally carried XD.

I told him I did not need one and he said "OK, someone said something so I am just here to act like I am doing something about it."
Interesting insight into these folks who we sometimes derisively call mall ninjas - maybe we could reverse the effect with responses to more clumsy or aggressive mall ninjas so that they can feel like they did something and the people watching them think they did somthing - like, just stop momentarily and nicely say, "Hi, OK, I know you are supposed to check me out, but thanks, but I'm just a busy shopper obeying the law, so have a nice day, see you later" and walk on.

Just a thought.

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Mike wrote:
Theseus wrote:

Interesting insight into these folks who we sometimes derisively call mall ninjas - maybe we could reverse the effect with responses to more clumsy or aggressive mall ninjas so that they can feel like they did something and the people watching them think they did somthing - like, just stop momentarily and nicely say, "Hi, OK, I know you are supposed to check me out, but thanks, but I'm just a busy shopper obeying the law, so have a nice day, see you later" and walk on.

Just a thought.

I was in a mall once and they were hassling this kid because he had the hood to his hoodie pulled over his head. They kept telling him to take it off and the kid told them to f-off, he would just leave. . . They kept running up on him with their little segways or whatever they are called.

When I approached OC'ing as I did and told them that they were not allowed to detain the boy like that they still kept hitting him and telling me to go away, this was their mall and they make the rules.

I will not mess with Mall Ninjas. In fact, I don't go to the malls anymore because there have been too many shootings in them and the security still don't have guns.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:

I myself thought about being security, and might just do that. I hear the job prospects are increasing and can confirm that I have seen guards appear at businesses that have not had them for years. . . Figure the only problem is if I get convicted, then I might not be able to be a guard or even carry a firearm. . . That would be a waste of time.

I try to show a little respect for guards, but when they start crossing those lines I simply ignore them.

Yeah, not an uncommon question put to OCers by non-guards... with the usual answer and him saying THAT, I would have tried to not bust out laughing and whispered to him that we could do a skit, like he could follow me around at a few paces peering over the top of a convenient newspaper while I pretend not to notice. He gets to look like he's doing something, I prove his RP's suspicion unwarranted. :celebrate

If you're acquitted, even if you can get free training for armed security, the BSIS fees cost $$, and so do the requals every 5-6 months (prices may vary, as they're charged privately, not governmentally).

Old Timer

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
If you're acquitted, even if you can get free training for armed security, the BSIS fees cost $$, and so do the requals every 5-6 months (prices may vary, as they're charged privately, not governmentally).
The school I work with, Security Officer Training Center, charges $50 for a requal and the state requires 4 requals over the life of an Exposed Carry License (the 4th requal being the initial qual for the new license). However, they provide the range fee, ammunition, and gun rental, all included in the $50 requal fee.

Getting your guard card and gun card is what costs so much, but if you get them both at the same time you can save money on the live scan fees. But, nevertheless, expect to spend about $500 for both.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Old Timer wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
The school I work with, Security Officer Training Center, charges $50 for a requal and the state requires 4 requals over the life of an Exposed Carry License (the 4th requal being the initial qual for the new license). However, they provide the range fee, ammunition, and gun rental, all included in the $50 requal fee.

Getting your guard card and gun card is what costs so much, but if you get them both at the same time you can save money on the live scan fees. But, nevertheless, expect to spend about $500 for both.

So mathematically, the ongoing cost for SOTC every two years would be $50*4=$200, and then add in the BSIS renewal at the end of the 2 years (copied from the fee schedule): Renewal Fee ($60) and DOJ Firearm Eligibility Application ($38)

$200+60+38=$298

One would hope to have a consistently good-paying job to cover these costs either through higher wages or reimbursement. Making a couple bucks over ($8) minimum wage in this economy and high cost of living county would make me consider a career change...

Old Timer

imported post

N6ATF wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

So mathematically, the ongoing cost for SOTC every two years would be $50*4=$200, and then add in the BSIS renewal at the end of the 2 years (copied from the fee schedule): Renewal Fee ($60) and DOJ Firearm Eligibility Application ($38)

$200+60+38=$298

One would hope to have a consistently good-paying job to cover these costs either through higher wages or reimbursement. Making a couple bucks over ($8) minimum wage in this economy and high cost of living county would make me consider a career change...

Exactly. Not to mentiion the requirement for an additional 8 hours of classroom training every year for about $80 per class.

If your employer does not reimburse you for such expenses, uniforms, accessories, etc., the security field can end up costing you money! (Okay, that may be a slight exageration, but . . . )

In order to make ends meet you have to start at least around $14/hr., and you can't really expect to make a decent living until you are around $20/hr. Which is, or course, very rare. Federal contracts require wage parity which, here, amounts to about $22.50/hr., but the competition for those positions is very strenuous! :)

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Old Timer wrote:
N6ATF wrote:
Old Timer wrote:

$200+60+38=$298

Exactly. Not to mentiion the requirement for an additional 8 hours of classroom training every year for about $80 per class.

If your employer does not reimburse you for such expenses, uniforms, accessories, etc., the security field can end up costing you money! (Okay, that may be a slight exageration, but . . . )

In order to make ends meet you have to start at least around $14/hr., and you can't really expect to make a decent living until you are around $20/hr. Which is, or course, very rare. Federal contracts require wage parity which, here, amounts to about $22.50/hr., but the competition for those positions is very strenuous! :)

Great advice, thanks!

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I was thinking more along the lines of personal security or something. . . But yeah, I would not really consider it for anything less than $14/hr. even at that rate I am taking a $6/hr pay cut from my previous job.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of personal security or something. . . But yeah, I would not really consider it for anything less than $14/hr. even at that rate I am taking a $6/hr pay cut from my previous job.

In the case of personal security, you would most likely want to get a Private Patrol Operator's license to be able to independent contract via 1099-MISC.

If you just had a guard card, you could only be a non-PPO's employee with a W-2, as I understand it. I think that's more intense for the employer, accounting-wise. I'm not sure how much they're required to do otherwise, since they would effectively take the place of the PPO by making you a direct employee.