• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry at work?

How do you carry at work?

• Open Carry (Not Required to carry for job)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Open Carry (Required to carry for job)

• Concealed Carry (Not Required to carry for job)

• Concealed Carry (Required to carry for job)

• I do not work.

• Total voters

Chaingun81

imported post

I do not, but I probably could. I work for a private company in VA, so theworse consequence would be getting fired (which given by how things are going at work might be more of a good thing rather than a bad one).

Company rules prohibit "unauthorized possession of firearms" without specifing what and who canmake it "authorized".If caught, I can probably argue thatmy VA CHP is "authorized" enough.Also, one of the senoir officers of the company and both of my supervisors are pretty pro-gun, but more of a skeet shooting / deer hunting types - you know, a little different group of gun owners. But, I saw them both bring in long guns to show/trade with other co-workers.

The main reason I don't carry is that I don't really have a good concealable gun/holster combo - most of my guns are either full-size or just plain thick and all my holsters are OWB. I can conceal it Okunder a loose shirt when I'm out and about but at work it would be too visible. If I ever get around to buy a RugerLCP or similar, I'd most certainly start CCing at work. So far its locked in the car. I did however had it in my bag locked in a small container couple of times I didn't drive to work.

Alexcabbie

imported post

I usually do not carry while driving the cab. However I always have LEO-grade pepper spray handy.

However, there are certain times - as when we recently had a driver murdered and the killers were evidently local boys and on the loose - when I arm myself, usually with a Walther PPK/s in a "G-Code" shoulder holster for (1) max concealment and (2) ability to draw with my left hand if needed. (I have extensively practiced taking off the safety with my left index finger during such a draw. I keep the safety on in case the piiece is taken, as it will give me at least a split second to cold-cock the BG and take it back).

Do I cross the Potomac and/or go onto military installations while so equipped?

What? I did not understand the question. Hey, nice weather lately, eh?.....:cool:

hp-hobo

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:

What? I did not understand the question. Hey, nice weather lately, eh?.....:cool:
Remember this when entering a military base. They cansearch your vehicle and/or have the dogs sniff it, but they won't search your person without some serious probable cause. Not that I would ever personally carry on base or anything...

Just sayin'.

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
longwatch wrote:
I OC most everyday at work, occasionally I CC, but then again I work at a gun shop.:monkey
Lucky you. By the way, was ityou there last Friday late afternoon wearing VCDL hat and a 1911? I wasn't sure that it was you (I only saw you on pics you posted on this forum) and I was kind of in a rush so didn't have time to ask you there...
That sounds like me.

Tomahawk

imported post

hp-hobo wrote:
Alexcabbie wrote:

Remember this when entering a military base. They cansearch your vehicle and/or have the dogs sniff it, but they won't search your person without some serious probable cause. Not that I would ever personally carry on base or anything...

Just sayin'.

And some of "them" surf websites like this. If you guys are going to exchange knowledge of how to break laws, please be reminded that this isn't a private conversation here, and many of us don't want to get tangled up in that kind of trouble.

As for me, my employer doesn't allow me to carry at work, and I like my job, so I don't. I don't particularly like it, of course, but it's a conscious decision I made when I took the paycheck, which I've decided is worth the risk.

rodbender

imported post

wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:
A couple more option choices for the poll would be:

Company policy prevents carry at work.

Federal Law or other binding statute prevents carry at work.
Can anyone write a poll that you can't find fault with?
Probably.
The main point for this one is that the choices do not cover my instance. I work on a military base. Stating that I "do not carry at work" makes it look like it is my choice to not carry.

So, now you are going to follow me around here and post little comments like that all the time? Seems futile to me.

It doesn't cover my circumstances at all times either. I CC in Texas, when I cross the Sabine River, I OC.

I just pick the closest oneand leave the poll writer alone, or I don't answer at all.

Don't be so conceited to think that anyone is following you. I go through the postings just like you do.
It isn't conceit. It also isn't about "going through the postings," it is about what a person chooses to post in response to others. Nothing would have been lost in this thread had you chosen to not respond to me, as your post was completely off-topic. But you knew that already...
I figured since you were the one that asked about me "following" you that it was probably conceit in it's purest form, if there is such a thing.

wrightme

imported post

rodbender wrote:
<snip>
wrightme wrote:
your post was completely off-topic. But you knew that already...
I figured since you were the one that asked about me "following" you that it was probably conceit in it's purest form, if there is such a thing.
No conceit necessary. It was a logical conclusion, since your post was completely unrelated to anything in the OP.

MatieA

imported post

I work for a company that destroys Hazardous Waste. Carrying a firearm would be stupid, even if it wasn't against the rules. Way too often we have chemicals spontaneously combust. Any electronics used on property HAVE to be certified for use in hazardous conditions. We even have to use non-sparking tools to repair things in the Plant.

rodbender

imported post

wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:

Probably.
The main point for this one is that the choices do not cover my instance. I work on a military base. Stating that I "do not carry at work" makes it look like it is my choice to not carry.

So, now you are going to follow me around here and post little comments like that all the time? Seems futile to me.

It doesn't cover my circumstances at all times either. I CC in Texas, when I cross the Sabine River, I OC.

I just pick the closest oneand leave the poll writer alone, or I don't answer at all.

Don't be so conceited to think that anyone is following you. I go through the postings just like you do.
It isn't conceit. It also isn't about "going through the postings," it is about what a person chooses to post in response to others. Nothing would have been lost in this thread had you chosen to not respond to me, as your post was completely off-topic. But you knew that already...
No conceit necessary. It was a logical conclusion, since your post was completely unrelated to anything in the OP.
I see no logic in your conclusion, Spock.

wrightme

imported post

wrightme wrote:
rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:
your post was completely off-topic. But you knew that already...
I see no logic in your conclusion, Spock.

Maybe you didn't look close enough

rodbender wrote:
wrightme wrote:

Hint: I bolded the only relevant part for you.

Back to the regularly scheduled poll.....

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
AWDstylez wrote:
20% unemployment... OC.org: beating the wrong national averages every day
A lot of folks here live in rural areas - times are tougher there than average...
Some of us are retired. There was no other choice in the poll. I live in a VERY rural area... (Open Range). 'Times are no tougher than normal.

tag

imported post

I don't carry at work. I haven't seen any policy against it, but I'm sure Fairfax County has something somewhere that prohibits carry for library employees.

chiefjason

imported post

Truck Driver. Stupid federal motor carrier laws! Plus a duty to report state, and my CCP is not in yet anyway. Triple screwed. But if I make to my pickup truck in the parking lot it's on! If you saw the scuzzy place we have to park our truck you would understand. No laws against pepper spray, pocket knives, and flashlights though!:dude:

rodbender

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Truck Driver. Stupid federal motor carrier laws! Plus a duty to report state, and my CCP is not in yet anyway. Triple screwed. But if I make to my pickup truck in the parking lot it's on! If you saw the scuzzy place we have to park our truck you would understand. No laws against pepper spray, pocket knives, and flashlights though!:dude:

FMCSR handbook (the big one)does not even mention firearms. Why do so many truckers think you can't carry in a commercial vehicle? Unless it's a state law, it's not prohibited.

I've been stopped several times in Texas and Louisiana and have had no problems when I tell the officer I am armed.

MatieA

imported post

rodbender wrote:
chiefjason wrote:

FMCSR handbook (the big one)does not even mention firearms. Why do so many truckers think you can't carry in a commercial vehicle? Unless it's a state law, it's not prohibited.

I've been stopped several times in Texas and Louisiana and have had no problems when I tell the officer I am armed.

I drove for years believing I couldn't carry. I wish I knew then what I know now. I may not have lost as much $ to thieves in truckstop parking lots, and not have gotten the bruises I got for resisting either.

I do however know that it is my own fault for not doing my own research but instead believing what I was told. :banghead: