• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'ing on Native Land

spartans

imported post

I am wondering what the laws are regarding OC'g and firearms in general on Native Land ?

any info would be helpful

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Short 'n sweet: Don't! You can drive thru... but don't get out of your vehicle with that cannon on yer hip.

spartans

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
Short 'n sweet: Don't! You can drive thru... but don't get out of your vehicle with that cannon on yer hip.

this is what I had read.

as far as driving through - are the regs different? can I have my pistol on my hip?

do the Native police patrol the main roads?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

I iopen carry goin' thru the Rez all the tijme... butI don't get out with it on my hip. Try not to get stopped for anything by the Tribal Police.

lostone1413

imported post

Now places like Native Land everyone say the word Conceal. Works every time unless a metal detector is thier

protector84

imported post

If you are on a Native highway then it may be illegal depending on the tribe. I would conceal carry in case you get stopped. If you are on a state highway that cuts through the reservation, I'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about even if you do get out of the car. As long as you are actually on state property and not their property, it is not in their jurisdiction. If they have an attitude with it, tell them to call DPS. Apparently, there are some reservations that do recognize CCW permits but I'm not sure what their take is on OC.

davesnothere

imported post

lostone1413 wrote:
Now places like Native Land everyone say the word Conceal. Works every time unless a metal detector is thier
Concealment can get you in worse trouble than just the act of carrying when you shouldn't carry - if you get caught.

I'd rather just not play that game with them and I invoke my personal "Texas Rule." Leave the gun somewhere I'm not going to have a problem.

Unless you specifically know that a Tribe allows concealed carry of a firearm, or you specifically know that they allow firearms on their particular Reservation, it's better just to not push your luck IMHO.

Now, I'm not sure if H.R. 197 (http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h197/show) would have an effect on Tribal Lands or not, but let's hope it applies, and either gets attached to something the Democrats want so bad they'll swallow what they consider a bad pill, or it passes because they are afraid of once more offending gun-owners in a time when gun control is increasingly unpopular.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I would NEVER be caught on Tribal land without a firearm on my person or very close by. I am talking about deep concealment. Like jammed in your boot if pulled over by the Indian herders.

lostone1413

imported post

dreamcro wrote:
I would NEVER be caught on Tribal land without a firearm on my person or very close by. I am talking about deep concealment. Like jammed in your boot if pulled over by the Indian herders.

Agree! Have gun will travel LOL Better judged by 12 then carried by 6

Just thinking t o if your on the highway driving your safe to carry not illegal from what I've been told