• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a memo from frontsight

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

WIG19 wrote:
J.Gleason wrote:
Also, as far as OCing in Michigan goes, it is my understanding that OC is legal in Michigan and I have open carried before in Michigan with out an issue.
Do you happen to have a statute on that, or is MI law also mute on the subject?
Yes I do:

FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.
Sec. 2.
A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

123.1103 Permissible prohibitions or regulation.
Sec. 3.
This act does not prohibit a local unit of government from doing either of the following:
(a) Prohibiting or regulating conduct with a pistol or other firearm that is a criminal offense under state law.
(b) Prohibiting or regulating the transportation, carrying, or possession of pistols and other firearms by employees of that local unit of government in the course of their employment with that local unit of government.

123.1104 Prohibiting discharge of pistol or other firearm.
Sec. 4.
This act does not prohibit a city or a charter township from prohibiting the discharge of a pistol or other firearm within the jurisdiction of that city or charter township.

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

Getting back on topic, Front Sight's course also seems a little pricey. Essentially you are paying for the hand gun, they are giving you nothing.

It would be cheaper to take a State approved fire arms course at a technical college.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Brass Magnet wrote:
How does this NOT apply to WI residents? It seems to me that (1) allows us to get a permit from another state like MN so that we can carry in any other state. It doesn't allow us to carry in Wisconsin but allows us to carry in most of the other states. (2) reads to me as if it is talking about people from Alaska or Vermont so that they may be allowed to carry in other states without getting a permit.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
I believe you are reading it right. I missed that part in 1. It appears as though Non-resident permits are part of this after all.....

J.Gleason

Banned
imported post

‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.

Am I reading this wrong or does this disqualify Wisconsin Residents?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

J.Gleason wrote:
‘(2) A person who is not prohibited by Federal law from possessing, transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm, and is otherwise than as described in paragraph (1) entitled to carry a concealed firearm in and pursuant to the law of the State in which the person resides, may carry a concealed firearm in accordance with the laws of the State in which the person resides in any State that allows its residents to carry concealed firearms, subject to the laws of the State in which the firearm is carried concerning specific types of locations in which firearms may not be carried.’.

Am I reading this wrong or does this disqualify Wisconsin Residents?

The part I highlighted and underlined will still keep wisconsinites from carrying in other states, unless you hold a non-resident permit from that state, or you have a non-resident permit from another state and the state you are visiting accepts non-resident permits (slim pickens there)

So basically this bill does nothing for WI or IL residents, and it still does not allow anyone else to legally carry concealed in WI or IL.
The description of the bill providedby GOA is very misleading becuase it states a"50 State reciprocity" situation.