• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transition from Open Carry to Vehicle

Jeff_JMB

imported post

I've considered open carrying, but I can't figure a graceful way to go from walkingoutside to getting into my truck without having to draw the firearm from the holstertoclear it andrisking the "brandishing" and man with a gun type panic.

I know people have been cited for havingloaded firearm in a vehicleby wardens for laying a loaded rifle on the tailgate during hunting season. Other people have been ticketed for laying a blanket over the hood and resting on it when shooting in a gravel pit. So I suredon't want to take the chance ofgetting into the truck with a loaded gunbefore clearing it.

I'm curious to hear how people deal with the transition from legal open carry in a public placeto driving inyour vehicle.

Deuce1911

imported post

If you posess a Concealed Carry Permit you can just jump in. I was stopped and had my loaded XD next to me on the seat. I brought to the troopers attention and he didnt say anything regarding it after that. Before i had my CCP i open carried alot and i would always just jump in the truck then remove the magazine from the well and place it on the seat next to me. I never OCed with my pistol cocked and locked so i didnt have to remove a chambered round. At the time i was still wary about carrying at all so i was just tryin to be safe. But anyway thats how i did it.

Jeff_JMB

imported post

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping someone had come up with a work around that I hadn't thought of.I guess it comes down to open but unloaded or just keep going concealed.

boyscout399

imported post

when I didn't have my permit I would carry without one in the chamber, then as I got into the vehicle I would eject the magazine and render my gun unloaded. No need to remove the gun from holster, just the mag release.

Deuce1911

imported post

thats a good idea. i never did that cuz i figured that it would still be considered concealed cuz of the way you would be sitting.

Bustelo5%

imported post

I do not know your state law specificly but in ohio I cant name it word for word,but the gist of it is ( as long as the keys are not in the ignition then your good to go) so you go from your house to your car,spend like three min on the phone then unload start the car and go on your way.
There may be different laws in your state but even tough there is law there is common sense and if an leo detains you in spite of that,bring it to trial and explaine it to a judge.
In anycase as long as you are doing your best to satifey the law on your part dont worry,if your not aiming at somone while loaded or unloaded ur fine.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
imported post

I carry mostly in a Fobus paddle holster. In a situation where I wish to place the firearm somewhere else, I just remove the holster with the firearm in it. That way I never have to draw the gun and the trigger guard remains covered.

Bustelo5%

imported post

Take this for instance I have a hi point 45 till I buy this beauty of a springfield prob next month,I get in the car take the 45 out of my unlce mikes side kick drop the mag put the gun in my plastic case where you have to have the mag out.Then I take my bullets out of the mag and into this leather machine bag where I keep my wallet and my mag n bullets I carry on me. If an officer asks me do I have any weapons in the car and wants to take it to another level I give him the bag o wallet with mag bullets and lock my car.And ill make sure im calling pre paid legal as soon as I can.Which they let you start service whenever you want even when you are detained at the time there pretty sweet.

Josh

imported post

boyscout399 wrote:
when I didn't have my permit I would carry without one in the chamber, then as I got into the vehicle I would eject the magazine and render my gun unloaded. No need to remove the gun from holster, just the mag release.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm still working on the permit due to a paperwork issue somewhere at the Fed. level.

jay75009

imported post

the remove the mag idea works well, usulay when i get to the car, i just hit the release button and drop the mag before i even entere the vehicle, safest way to go :)

Peacemaker

imported post

I was told by a women with the Maine State Police that the gun had to be unloaded, in the trunk, with the magazines in the glove box to carry in the car.

It is my understanding that the car restriction arises from the "conceal about the person's person" language in §2001-A http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2001-A.html

However, this same language would seem to outlaw carrying an unloaded firearm in a range bag without a license, but that seems extreme.

jay75009

imported post

Peacemaker wrote:
I was told by a women with the Maine State Police that the gun had to be unloaded, in the trunk, with the magazines in the glove box to carry in the car.

It is my understanding that the car restriction arises from the "conceal about the person's person" language in §2001-A http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/statutes/25/title25sec2001-A.html

However, this same language would seem to outlaw carrying an unloaded firearm in a range bag without a license, but that seems extreme.
well thankfully most of the depeartments in maine inturpert alot of the laws, i've carried unloaded in my range bag on the passenger seat and have been stopped, usualy the weapon has a cable lock through the action with pleases the LEO's alot and they donthave anyissues about it

boyscout399

imported post

the law says conceal about the person's person. So, don't conceal. Carry openly and unloaded in the vehicle. I've had mind on the passenger seat with the full magazine right next to it during a traffic stop and not had a problem.

jay75009

imported post

exactly, i believe it really depends on personal preference and the officer that may stop you, i've had officers take me down at gunpoint in some towns, and others that just nod and wave. I carry 2 mag holders, 1 with a mag and one empty so when i get in my vehicle i can just pop the mag from my weapon into it and go.