• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open-Carry with Style

sevenplusone

imported post

What I'm about to ask is very vain....

I have a stainless 1911 w/wood grips. Is it in bad taste and unattractive to use a black holster? You know, the whole black belt/brown shoes thing? If I'm going to do this open-carry thing I want to make sure I'm doing it with style and I prefer black holsters.

Veritas

imported post

I suppose if your holster is leather, then you might try to coordinate it to match a leather belt and shoes. But if your holster is Kydex or Nylon, then black is really your only option (most of the time).

Trying to coordinate your weapon and holster with your belt and shoes is a losing battle, as you'll always be wearing the same colors day in and day out. A gun is a tool just like any other... trying to coordinate it with your outfit would be like trying to wrap an outfit around a pocket knife. Or dressing to match your vehicle.

I wouldn't worry about it. Black goes with just about anything, anyway. Many police and military members sport black weapons and black holsters with a wide variety of colored uniforms.

sevenplusone

imported post

I really am only worried that the gun itself (brown wood grips) clashes with the black holster.

Doesn't matter, tonight I'll be open-carrying my old Smith and Wesson Model 10 revolver w/pachmyr grips. It's all black belt, holster, grips, on a blued pistol. Old school cool. There will be no confusing me with an LEO with this ancient setup.

HPC9

imported post

ISMOID wrote:
Maybe the SAS, Saturday Afternoon Shootout, needs to have a segment on gun fashion sense.:what: Jerry and Brian could discuss the practicality of the man-bag as a carry option!! :lol:
Two birds with one stone. Brown man bag black holster.

I just call it my bag. I use it to carry my extra crap. Because I am that full of crap.

:celebrateand peanutbutter jelly time... for good measure.

THway

imported post

ISMOID wrote:
Maybe the SAS, Saturday Afternoon Shootout, needs to have a segment on gun fashion sense.:what: Jerry and Brian could discuss the practicality of the man-bag as a carry option!! :lol:

Yes i agree... The only way to settle it.... However... They have to do it in drag:celebrate