• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Defensive shooting of animals

Marco

imported post

I suggest if you have a problem with a neighbor/s dog/s running loose/or being aggressive and not properly under control report it, regardless of breed or temperament.

All dogs are capable of in flicking injury (yes, even the little ones)some are capable of serious bodily injury/death.

The only time I personally considered shooting dogs is when my childrenhave beeninvolved, but fortunately I was able to resolve it without gun fire (solid kicks work wonders/having a dog capable of breaking large bones on large dogs doesn't hurt either).

If I had to shot a dog/s it would be my last option.

LEO 229

imported post

peter nap wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:
peter nap wrote:
While your playing with tasers could be fun.. the cartridges are costly! $20 a pop. :lol:
$ 50.00 for the XP'a to us mere citizens.
Oh my! Departments get a sizable discount then, huh?

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

you could just go to danville va. apparently you can shoot whatever you want there. on duty cop recently shot a weenie dog with his 40 cal after "being attacked". funny, i didnt know cops werent issued boots that could handle those ferocious attacks from wild animals.

LEO 229

imported post

Do you have a story online we can read.If it is true... what a chump.. :lol:

mercutio545

imported post

[flash=320,256]http://www.youtube.com/v/XE5pGeCUM-Y&hl=en&fs=1&[/flash]

LEO 229

imported post

"... standing during the attack would have provided him the time, distance and means necessary to consider other options before using his firearm,"

Yup... This has always been my opinion. You can almost always escape a small dog going after you.

I agree with the decision. How anyone canfear and kill a small ankle biter is beyond me.

My condolences to the dog owner.

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
"How anyone canfear and kill a small ankle biter is beyond me."
Sadly enough, this goes to what you were talking about in the other post I have when we were talking about age and military members, etc. He was an Iraq vet. You would think he would have a little more judgement but... Kinda scary he has a gun and a badge to back it up.

MirkoCrocop

imported post

for all those going on walks through their neighborhood or at the park or such i understand the need to protect yourself and your family from animal attack, but honestly unless the dog is rabid there is no need to kill when you can use canine pepper spray or the like. If you know your going on your daily walk then please take some pepper spray, you also wont have to worry about collateral damage that a stray bullet could cause. there is no need to take a life if there is a better viable alternative. And if you're thinking "well what if it attacks someone else?" thats what animal control is for let them do their job.

Please give the owners benefit of the doubt that they'll learn to watch their pets.

think of all the emotional pain that could put on the family of that dog, its possible it was just an honest mistake the dog got out ya know?Canine pepper spray is a viable alternative to a firearm that can be dangerous if you miss.

LEO 229

imported post

Small dogs are the size of a football....

Use your imagination. :cool:

bnkrazy

Campaign Veteran
imported post

LEO 229 wrote:

We used to cut through a neighbor's yard after school (with permission). Guy got divorced, and the new girlfriend had a small fuzzy dog that would come out and bark and snarl at us, but never got close.

One day it came up and grabbed my pants and ripped a hold in the ankle. I was so mad I kicked it as hard as I could, sending it about 20ft into the air.

It never came near us after that. :lol:

Like all things, discretion and common sense should be part of any decision involving any level of force up to and including deadly force.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

We used to cut through a neighbor's yard after school (with permission). Guy got divorced, and the new girlfriend had a small fuzzy dog that would come out and bark and snarl at us, but never got close.

One day it came up and grabbed my pants and ripped a hold in the ankle. I was so mad I kicked it as hard as I could, sending it about 20ft into the air.

Like all things, discretion and common sense should be part of any decision involving any level of force up to and including deadly force.
That's why small dogs are commonly called "Punters"... Their football-like size and weight.

LEO 229

imported post

bnkrazy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

GOAL!!!!

nova

imported post

LEO 229 wrote:
bnkrazy wrote:
LEO 229 wrote:

GOAL!!!!
I shouldn't laugh but I just can't help it...:lol::lol:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I'm not one to advocate the abuse of animals either, but I wouldn't allow myself to be bitten by a little mongrel. Small dogs are much more likely to bite than larger dogs. I'd rather not waste a bullet or have to deal with the paperwork afterwards.

You may not be convicted in a criminal case, but as sure as the Lord made little apples, Little Fifi's "mommy" will certainly file a civil suit that may not be worth the time & money you're sure to expend later. As mentioned earlier, the carrying of pepper spray would be a good idea.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

A number of years ago, in Hanover, a fellow named Randy Kirby who was an on and off truck farmer, shot and killed two dogs that he claimed were chasing his chickens. The simple fact was, he shot dogs for the fun of it.

He dragged both dogs into a board of Supervisors meeting to complain about poor dog catcher service. I have never seen a more offensive sight than that ignorant son of a bitch, dragging two pets behind him, into the building.

Thankfully, Randy has had a bad run of luck over the years...

raftgyde

imported post

[align=left]
moz-screenshot-21.jpg
RIP Killer
[/align]
071009_Dog1.jpg

I'd be ashamed to admit I was so afraid of a dog that small.

Marco

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
You may not be convicted in a criminal case, but as sure as the Lord made little apples, Little Fifi's "mommy" will certainly file a civil suit that may not be worth the time & money you're sure to expend later. As mentioned earlier, the carrying of pepper spray would be a good idea.

By filing such a suit that person would most likely have to admit to violating the law (allowing their dog/s to roam), opening themselves up for criminal and civil suits.
If their dog/s gets out of their yard without their knowledge they are still responsible for it.
[line]

I know because my mother sued her neighbor and won.

Years ago when my Mother was walking one of my dogs they were attacked by a neighbors dog, theneighborwas given a ticket for $500 by the PD.

To add insult to injury his dog died and it cost him >$2500 in vet bills, $500 in HOA fines and $$$$ my mother was awarded.

Many people have a known fears of dogs regardless of size or breed, this is usually because of irresponsible dog owners allowing their dogs to roam or by not securing them properly.
I know of a 5yr oldthat suffers fromthis because of a former neighbor who allowed her dogs to roam, she no longer has those dogs and she's missing a few Chiclets because of that incident.