Thread: Unicorn spotted at the Manassas Hard Times Cafe.

Post imported post

I was out with the family having supper tonight and saw a family leave and was watching as they walked across the parking lot and only then did I notice the husband(?) was oc'ing. I could not tell what type of hand gun he was carrying. Was that anyone here? It was around 6:00PM.

Post imported post

I don't understand this reference to Unicorn. There are thousands of people who know about this site and the Open Carry movement. Most do not post in this forum on a regular basis and some not at all. Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar. Not to mention there are lots of other gun sites that discuss Open Carry. Pointing at a random person Open Carrying and screaming Unicorn ever time makes no sense to me. Sorry for the Rant.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Let me guess.

The OP simply was wondering who it might be and if they are a member of OCDO. Nothing antagonistic implied as far as I can see. Perhaps he would like to strike up a conversation and maybe meet for a breakfast/lunch/dinner with the gentleman. We do like to know who else is out there OC'ing since we are all in the same boat so to speak.

In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    I don't understand this reference to Unicorn. There are thousands of people who know about this site and the Open Carry movement. Most do not post in this forum on a regular basis and some not at all. Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar. Not to mention there are lots of other gun sites that discuss Open Carry. Pointing at a random person Open Carrying and screaming Unicorn ever time makes no sense to me. Sorry for the Rant.
    When I joined this site, that was the term I saw being used, and so I used it.However, I know I open carried before I found out about this site, but I did know the law.

Post imported post

ravonaf wrote:
    Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar.
    I've known about open carrying since I was a kid, long before VCDL or this site. We had a family friend who open carried in the 1970s.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

I think posting about unicorns is like playing Punchbuggy, just without someone to hit.
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

The gun was a Glock 20 w/ 6" slide/barrel.
    I wonder how I know that.

[line]

ETA:
    I don't believe the term Unicorn has anything to do with the person knowing about OCDO/VCDL.

IMHO, it has more to do with spotting a person openly carrying outside of a planned event, during our daily travels.

If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

If I see you around town again, I will introduce myself.

Post imported post

rebfan wrote:
    If I see you around town again, I will introduce myself.
    Please do.

Were you and familysitting in the corner near the window facing the Hostess stand??
    If you think like a Statist, act like one, or back some, you've given up on freedom and have gone over to the dark side.
    The easiest ex. but probably the most difficult to grasp for gun owners is that fool permission slip so many of you have, especially if you show it off with pride. You should recognize it as an embarrassment, an infringement, a travesty and an affront to a free person.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Wewere the family facing away from the hostess stand along the glass.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

Unicorn - OCDO specific definition.

A stranger/person seen OCing outside of planned RKBA events, ranges, family members and known friends. Generally occurs happenstance in public. Quite rare.

In no way does it reflect on the unknown OCer's knowledge, ability or affiliation with any group. The lone OCer is merely being tagged as an unknown to the viewer. That mythical status evaporates, as above, when their personage become known.

Most important - it is not a derogatory term.

Yata hey

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator longwatch's Avatar

Post imported post

Well me and Tomahawk were at the VCDL meeting a few years ago and the discussion came up of people who OC'd but had no affiliation with OCDO or VCDL and wasn't a LEO. At one time seeing anyone OCing was about as common as seeing unicorns at least in the NOVA area and the term was born. Now I see it everyday and I would say the unicorn population is greater than the activist OCer and growing fast.
    It is definitely a positive term because I think someone who exercises their rights alone and without support in a sometimes hostile area is brave. Of course awareness of OC is better and more people do it so it isn't quite as cool as someone who did it pre 2004.

Post imported post

I believe it was at the post-meeting dinner at Fuddrucker's while I devoured Ostrich meat.:celebrate

Post imported post

One of the partners carries a concealed G26 at all times there and can do so legally, thank god.

Guess how I know that!

Good to see you there.

Randy

Post imported post

chiliman wrote:
    One of the partners carries a concealed G26 at all times there and can do so legally, thank god.

Guess how I know that!

Good to see you there.

Randy
    Glad to see you still check this forum out.

We try to visit at leastonce a month.

~Alan Korwin

Post imported post

Agent19 wrote:
    chiliman wrote:

Guess how I know that!

Good to see you there.

Randy
    Glad to see you still check this forum out.

We try to visit at leastonce a month.
    I'm on here every day, along with a lot of other forums. I'm just not much of a posting type in a lot of the forums I follow, though I might get involved here more.

Ask for me next time you're around, I'd like to say hello. (or my partner Chris)

Randy

Post imported post

Will do.

Marco

~Alan Korwin