• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Unicorn spotted at the Manassas Hard Times Cafe.

rebfan

imported post

I was out with the family having supper tonight and saw a family leave and was watching as they walked across the parking lot and only then did I notice the husband(?) was oc'ing. I could not tell what type of hand gun he was carrying. Was that anyone here? It was around 6:00PM.

ravonaf

imported post

I don't understand this reference to Unicorn. There are thousands of people who know about this site and the Open Carry movement. Most do not post in this forum on a regular basis and some not at all. Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar. Not to mention there are lots of other gun sites that discuss Open Carry. Pointing at a random person Open Carrying and screaming Unicorn ever time makes no sense to me. Sorry for the Rant.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Let me guess.

The OP simply was wondering who it might be and if they are a member of OCDO. Nothing antagonistic implied as far as I can see. Perhaps he would like to strike up a conversation and maybe meet for a breakfast/lunch/dinner with the gentleman. We do like to know who else is out there OC'ing since we are all in the same boat so to speak.

rebfan

imported post

ravonaf wrote:
I don't understand this reference to Unicorn. There are thousands of people who know about this site and the Open Carry movement. Most do not post in this forum on a regular basis and some not at all. Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar. Not to mention there are lots of other gun sites that discuss Open Carry. Pointing at a random person Open Carrying and screaming Unicorn ever time makes no sense to me. Sorry for the Rant.
When I joined this site, that was the term I saw being used, and so I used it.However, I know I open carried before I found out about this site, but I did know the law.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ravonaf wrote:
Just because someone see's another person Open Carrying doesn't mean it's a person who knows nothing about the OC movement or VCDL and just decided to randomly carry. I personally doubt that has ever happened. No person in thier right mind is going to open carry without knowing the legality of it and with that comes this site or something similar.
I've known about open carrying since I was a kid, long before VCDL or this site. We had a family friend who open carried in the 1970s.

Marco

imported post

The gun was a Glock 20 w/ 6" slide/barrel.
I wonder how I know that.;)

[line]

ETA:
I don't believe the term Unicorn has anything to do with the person knowing about OCDO/VCDL.

IMHO, it has more to do with spotting a person openly carrying outside of a planned event, during our daily travels.

rebfan

imported post

If I see you around town again, I will introduce myself.

Marco

imported post

rebfan wrote:
If I see you around town again, I will introduce myself.
Please do.:D

Were you and familysitting in the corner near the window facing the Hostess stand??

rebfan

imported post

Wewere the family facing away from the hostess stand along the glass.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Unicorn - OCDO specific definition.

A stranger/person seen OCing outside of planned RKBA events, ranges, family members and known friends. Generally occurs happenstance in public. Quite rare.

In no way does it reflect on the unknown OCer's knowledge, ability or affiliation with any group. The lone OCer is merely being tagged as an unknown to the viewer. That mythical status evaporates, as above, when their personage become known.

Most important - it is not a derogatory term.

Yata hey

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

Well me and Tomahawk were at the VCDL meeting a few years ago and the discussion came up of people who OC'd but had no affiliation with OCDO or VCDL and wasn't a LEO. At one time seeing anyone OCing was about as common as seeing unicorns at least in the NOVA area and the term was born. Now I see it everyday and I would say the unicorn population is greater than the activist OCer and growing fast.
It is definitely a positive term because I think someone who exercises their rights alone and without support in a sometimes hostile area is brave. Of course awareness of OC is better and more people do it so it isn't quite as cool as someone who did it pre 2004.
:monkey

chiliman

imported post

One of the partners carries a concealed G26 at all times there and can do so legally, thank god.

Guess how I know that!;)

Good to see you there.

Randy

Marco

imported post

chiliman wrote:
One of the partners carries a concealed G26 at all times there and can do so legally, thank god.

Guess how I know that!;)

Good to see you there.

Randy
Glad to see you still check this forum out.:D

We try to visit at leastonce a month.

chiliman

imported post

Agent19 wrote:
chiliman wrote:

Guess how I know that!;)

Good to see you there.

Randy
Glad to see you still check this forum out.:D

We try to visit at leastonce a month.
I'm on here every day, along with a lot of other forums. I'm just not much of a posting type in a lot of the forums I follow, though I might get involved here more.

Ask for me next time you're around, I'd like to say hello. (or my partner Chris)

Randy