• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah Gun Owners Legal Defense (Utah GOLD)

rpyne

imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
Of course I would love to get this started. Make sure we can lobby and the whole political arena
Political activity greatly alters the non-profit landscape. Donations to a non-profit under 501(c)(3) are tax deductible, but political activity is not allowed. A non-profit organized under 501(c)(4) can engage in political activity, but donation are not tax deductible.

One somewhat common option is to for two affiliated organizations, one under 501(c)(3) as a charitable organization and one under 501(c)(4) as a political action organization.

We already have a few firearms lobbying groups in Utah, do we need another one or would we be better served by utilizing the ones that already exist and concentrating on the legal defense fund aspect?

Utah_Patriot

imported post

True a legal defense fund would be nice. I don't think we have any lobby's set up strictly for open carry.

We can always change the status later on down the road.